JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Father of Darren Lackie fears soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained

Go down

Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained Empty Father of Darren Lackie fears soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained

Post  bb1 Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:44 pm

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Fife/article/25219/father-of-darren-lackie-fears-fife-soldier-s-death-in-portugal-will-never-be-explained.html

Father of Darren Lackie fears Fife soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained

The father of a Fife soldier who died on holiday in Portugal now fears he will never know for sure what happened to his son.

Father of Darren Lackie fears  soldier's death in Portugal will never be explained Photo_22214_wide_crop

Mr Lackie and his son Calvin with a picture of Darren

It has been 18 months since Lance Corporal Darren Lackie (21), from Cupar, was fatally injured in the Albufeira resort while on holiday with his girlfriend, Ashleigh Wilson.

But despite the Portuguese authorities insisting that Darren, who was a soldier in The Black Watch, died after a fall, his father Graham Lackie remains of the view that he was mugged and then murdered.

Afghanistan veteran Darren was found unconscious with head injuries on March 31 2011, and he died shortly afterwards.

The former Castlehill Primary pupil was hailed as a ''gifted soldier'' and a ''tremendous young man'' when he was laid to rest in Cupar in April last year.

Mr Lackie does not accept the explanation given by the authorities that Darren's head injuries were caused by a fall and his argument has been backed by a medical report — seen by The Courier — indicating that heavy drinking had not been a factor.

The family's perseverance has already paid off. They successfully pushed for a fresh inquiry that revealed traces of barbiturates had been found in Darren's blood, leading to suspicion that he had been drugged, robbed and then killed.

But Mr Lackie, a postman now living in Devon, still believes police are covering up his son's killing to protect the tourist industry in the Algarve resort — and following the 18-month milestone fears he will never get to the bottom of what really happened.

''I really feel there's nothing else I can do,'' Mr Lackie told The Courier. ''I don't have the money to pursue this any further.

''They say he fell. But there are all sorts of glaring inconsistencies.

''For example, they said initially that there were eyewitnesses who's seen Darren fall over but then they said there were no witnesses.

''They also said that Darren was drunk but then they say he wasn't. I know for a fact that Darren hadn't been drinking that night and I know he didn't fall.

''The only thing tangible is that there was no alcohol in his system. The report states that he had suffered what could have been caused by a severe blow to the head.

''But they've chosen to ignore it. No one saw him fall, so how can they say he fell?''

Mr Lackie added Darren's mobile phone was only found 13 months after he died.

The police told him it had been taken by a maid at the hotel he was staying at.

Darren had injuries to the back of his head and behind his ear. Mr Lackie said doctors told him these injuries were not consistent with a fall.

Toxicology reports showed there was hardly any alcohol in his system, but a rare sedative was present.

Mr Lackie said he remained gripped by a sense of ''injustice''.

He added:''I don't think me, my ex-wife or my other two sons will ever get over it.

''There's nothing I can do now. I'll try and live with it. But there's nothing I can do. It leaves a bad taste.

''The Portuguese authorities have said they'll re-examine the case if any other information comes to light.

''But that would have to be someone coming forward, holding their hands up and saying 'I did it', and that's not going to happen, is it?''
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down