JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY ....

4 posters

Go down

OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... Empty OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY ....

Post  Lamplighter Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:19 am

.... and look what's slithered out from under a rock, taking time off from the McCann case, is he?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/mark-williams-thomas-believe-oscar-pistorius-4197593
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY .... Empty Re: OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT TODAY ....

Post  bb1 Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:35 am

What, is he padeo-hunting in South Africa now?

I confess, I've paid little attention to this case, LL. To me, these squalid crimes are of little interest - indeed, I actively dislike the hype surrounding them.

I dislike other people's tragedies being turned into bread and circuses diversions for idiots and don't understand why people that should know better feel the need to play armchair defective.

Whatever happened, a beautiful young woman has lost her life, her family is heartbroken, and Pistorious' life may as well be over. And MWT shoving his oar in serves to remind me why I dislike these high-profile circuses so much.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:40 pm

I see the worst charges have been dropped, and we're down to a possible Culpable Homicide charge.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:39 pm

Sentencing is underway:

http://news.sky.com/story/1351975/live-updates-pistorius-sentencing-process

The court appears to be hearing character witnesses at present.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 am

http://news.sky.com/story/1357116/oscar-pistorius-jailed-over-reeva-killing

Oscar Pistorius Jailed Over Reeva Killing
09:44, UK, Tuesday 21 October 2014

Oscar Pistorius has been jailed for five years for killing his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentine's Day last year.

The 27-year-old, who was found guilty of culpable homicide last month, gave little visible reaction as the sentence was handed down.

Judge Thokozile Masipa had ruled the Olympic and Paralympic athlete did not intend to kill his girlfriend when he fired through the bathroom door at his home in Pretoria.

"Having regard to the circumstances in the matter, I am of the view that a non-custodial sentence would send the wrong message to the community," she said.

"On the other hand, a long sentence would also not be appropriate either, as it would lack the element of mercy.

"What may appear to be justice to the general public may not be justice. Society cannot always get what they want."

She said Pistorius' skill using a gun was an aggravating factor but that she also recognised his remorse.

She said he "fired not one shot but four shots into the door" of a small cubicle "with no room for escape".

He was also handed a suspended three-year prison sentence for the discharging of a firearm, over an incident in which a gun accidentally went off in a restaurant.

Sentencing options available to her in the culpable homicide case included jail, a suspended sentence, a correctional supervision or fine.

It brings to a close the sprinter's seven-month trial, which attracted worldwide attention.

More at link.

Sounds about right, IMO, though doubtless the lynch mobbers will be in full shriek very shortly.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:49 am

But state prosecutor Gerrie Nel had argued that only 10 years' imprisonment would satisfy the South African public.

'Justice' and 'satisfying the public' are not always the same thing - thankfully.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 am

My friends, this was taken from BBC news:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29700457

Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:43 am

From that link:

The parents of Reeva Steenkamp told the BBC they were happy with the sentence and relieved the case was over. The defence said it expected Pistorius to serve about 10 months in prison.

That sounds about right; he couldn't NOT serve at least some time in prison, but there is no gain in Pistorious being incarcerated for years. I hope a constructive way can be found for him to pay his debt to society, working with the poor and disabled in South Africa, perhaps.

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 am

Initially I thought five years was too much, but having read the comments here, it is probably about right.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:02 pm

The judge seems to be a very wise lady, Sabot:

http://news.sky.com/story/1357116/oscar-pistorius-jailed-for-shooting-reeva-dead

"Having regard to the circumstances in the matter, I am of the view that a non-custodial sentence would send the wrong message to the community," she said.

"On the other hand, a long sentence would also not be appropriate either, as it would lack the element of mercy.

"What may appear to be justice to the general public may not be justice. Society cannot always get what they want."
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 pm

That's about it, Bonny. I am glad that I feel comfortable with it. As if my opinion would make any difference.

The history of South Africa is bad, and is still bad, albeit for different reason that I could see coming. People do have to be able to protect themselves, but with some regard for The Law.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Not even the law so much, Sabot - he'd have been within his rights to shoot a home invader. IMO, he did something stupid, impulsive, careless, panicky, thoughtless - any word for idiotic you like - with tragic, terrible consequences. But crucifying him isn't going to bring Reeva back and would be revenge, not justice.

The judge got it pretty much spot on, from where I am sitting. I am sure there is much good he can do in South Africa in atonement, after he's released from jail.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:33 pm

bb1 wrote:Not even the law so much, Sabot - he'd have been within his rights to shoot a home invader. IMO, he did something stupid, impulsive, careless, panicky, thoughtless - any word for idiotic you like - with tragic, terrible consequences. But crucifying him isn't going to bring Reeva back and would be revenge, not justice.

The judge got it pretty much spot on, from where I am sitting. I am sure there is much good he can do in South Africa in atonement, after he's released from jail.

I am so pleased that I am not the only one who feels like this, Bonny. Just letting an intruder know that he had a gun, by firing one shot in the air should have been enough. Although just how vulnerable he felt on his stumps, only he can know.

We have a law of Reasonable Force in Britain, which can include killing an intruder these days. What he did was a little over the top. Mind you, I wouldn't be thinking too much about where I shoved my sword stick if anyone broke in here.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:39 pm

That's it exactly, Sabot. I doubt if he felt like an Olympian superhuman in those few seconds, just a scared man with no legs - and common sense went out the window, with tragic results.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 pm

But the White Man against the Black Man comes into play here. A legacy that has proven to be correct.

But I am not going to say any more on that subject, for fear of appearing racist.

Fortunately, The Judge is black, so that shouldn't cause any great problems. Although no doubt it will.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:40 am

For all Pistorious knew in those few seconds' panic, this was about to happen to him:

http://news.sky.com/story/1360862/south-africas-football-captain-shot-dead

South Africa's Football Captain Shot Dead
Club officials mourn the "loss to the nation" as Senzo Meyiwa is gunned down while reportedly trying to defend his girlfriend.

The goalkeeper and captain of South Africa's national football team has been shot dead by gunmen who broke into the house of his girlfriend.

Senzo Meyiwa, 27, was killed after two armed men entered the house in the Vosloorus township near Johannesburg on Sunday evening while an accomplice waited outside, police said.

Seven people were believed to have been inside the house, including Meyiwa, when the suspects forced their way into the property.

Police said Meyiwa was shot after a row, and the assailants fled.

More at link.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:44 am

The first thought that entered my head, Bonny.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:06 am

Sabot wrote:The first thought that entered my head, Bonny.
None of us can know, even in our wildest dreams, what life has been like for Oscar before he became famous. To lose ones legs when a child, to be dependent on prosthenics, and to face possible danger while balancing on one's stumps - yes, I think he must have gone to hell and back in those few seconds. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down