JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Referendum aftermath - Page 10 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Referendum aftermath - Page 10 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Referendum aftermath - Page 10 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Referendum aftermath - Page 10 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Referendum aftermath - Page 10 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Referendum aftermath - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Referendum aftermath - Page 10 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Referendum aftermath - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Referendum aftermath - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Referendum aftermath

5 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Referendum aftermath - Page 10 Empty Re: Referendum aftermath

Post  bb1 Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:03 pm

This is what citizen journalism is:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/politics/referendum-news/george-square-trouble-the-night-our-readers-became-reporters.1411314286

George Square Trouble: The night our readers became reporters
Published on 21 September 2014

Referendum aftermath - Page 10 1411314286-211

You are the reporters, Sunday Herald readers. Throughout the weekend, your tweets, retweets, Facebook posts, YouTube videos and emails were invaluable to us trying to piece together what was happening throughout Glasgow as loyalist trouble flared in George Square.

We had three reporting staff in the square, along with two photographers. After we began posting live images of loyalists giving Nazi salutes and taunting and jeering a much smaller and more peaceful group of Yes supporters, you more or less took over. You sent our images around the country, and you emailed our news desk and reporters with information on where loyalist gangs were moving in the city and what they were doing.

You sent us images and footage of them fighting, terrorising ordinary people and spreading disorder in a city which until Friday night had been a carnival of fun and hope, not a carnival of hate.

Where throughout the week students, office staff on their lunch breaks, and families had sung Caledonia and Labi Siffri's Something Inside So Strong in George Square, by Friday night the songs had become chants - including "You had your chance and you f***** it up" - screamed with menace and hate, and interposed with singing of Rule Britannia. The heart of Glasgow had gone from Woodstock to Belfast in the space of just one day.

And you told us what you thought of this. This was the dark face of Unionism, you said again and again in messages on social media. This was Scotland's shame. This disgusted and repelled you. You - the 45% - responded to our requests for information by liaising with each other online and getting the information to us when you could.

And then you decided to act not just as reporters but as investigative reporters. We had heard that the loyalist violence was being co-ordinated online by a hardline group with connections to Northern Ireland. So, we used social media to ask you to help us find out if this was true - there was too much chatter and activity online for any one news desk to check every lead - and you helped us.

The entire loyalist demonstration had indeed been orchestrated online, it turned out. You sent us the online poster headed "Scotland Said No" asking for demonstrators to come to the city centre at 6pm. The poster was circulated widely by Britain First, the far-right party set up by ex-BNP members, which has a strong following in Northern Ireland and the west of Scotland.

Then you sent us Facebook postings from ordinary Rangers fans, horrified at what their fellow fans were planning. One read: "I am a Rangers supporter. The Rangers pages have been drumming up support to riot at George Square all day. It's disgusting. I am ashamed of them."

Then you sent us the social media exchanges of various loyalists you had been monitoring online. One read: "Glasgow riots were crazy, absolutely brilliant buzz. Rule Britannia!"

Others talked of going out "slashing c**ts" and wanting "to go to George Square and stab a couple of pencilcases" (slang for students). Another read: "I stabbed a c**t n

I liked it". One post from a Rangers supporters' club called on members to gather at "17.00 on the street behind the Louden [Bar] and the Bristol Bar on Duke Street". It went on to give a "map route … to all cars", and instructed followers to go to "George Sq for a party".

You then identified to us a group of Rangers football fans called the "Vanguard Bears" as being the organisation most involved in the "aggro", as people dubbed the violence online. By Saturday morning, multiple sources were confirming that the Vanguard Bears were the main instigators.

Last year, Police Scotland said it had received complaints of a "death list" posted online by the Vanguard Bears of individuals its sees as being opposed to the club.

The Vanguard Bears, which has close links with loyalist groups in Belfast, posted an image showing journalists, politicians and people involved in football, including the face of late QC Paul McBride - a prominent Celtic supporter and friend of Neil Lennon.

The Progressive Unionist Party - a Northern Ireland political party affiliated with the loyalist paramilitary group the Ulster Volunteer Force - also met with the Vanguard Bears supporters group last year to discuss opposition to the independence referendum.

On Thursday, the day of the referendum, the Bears group posted an image of Britannia alongside images of Alex Salmond's head on a spike and the severed head of Nicola Sturgeon. Yesterday it posted a statement online reading: "Our voice is on the rise, we must by actions, not words or political soundbites, ensure our Union is defended."

As Friday night wore on into the early hours of Saturday, you, our readers, were even able to keep our reporting staff out on the streets informed about events at our offices. Two men started a fire by the generator which powers the offices of Sunday Herald, The Herald and the Evening Times. Soon you were tweeting images of the fire and asking if we were all OK. We were - though we were out of action until early yesterday afternoon because of the power outage caused by the fire. Police are now investigating.

You also retweeted the numerous threats and vile verbal attacks made to our members of staff in order to name and shame the loyalists trolling them online. Your support was much appreciated. On you went, overnight and into yesterday, thousands and thousands of tip-offs, leads, pictures, videos, screen grabs and support. You became an integral part of the newspaper.

During the independence campaign, we tried our very hardest to give you the voice in the media you wanted and no-one else was giving you, and you repaid us over the weekend by becoming our eyes and ears - and joining in and becoming a part of the voice of the Sunday Herald. And for that, we thank you from the very bottom of our hearts.

Can you imagine the uproar there would be if some bunch of thugs tried to burn the Daily Mail offices down?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Incidentally, the unionist thugs are gone from George Square, and various 45s have been collecting donations for food banks. Though it's a disgrace that they should have to.

Referendum aftermath - Page 10 ByEA--OIQAALTJZ
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Can you imagine the uproar there would be if some bunch of thugs tried to burn the Daily Mail offices down?

Oh yes, of course.  That is different, isn't it?  madmad

Last edited by lily on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:04 pm

Referendum aftermath - Page 10 ByFZgKZCMAAI-h6

I have now lost track of which Vower is backstab which other one, so I will just assume they're all knifing each other. Awesome, especially as their slogan was Better Together.... Pcorneater
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:33 pm

They are Better Together down there.....biggrin
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Referendum aftermath - Page 10 The-independent-1-329x437

That's coming from the troughers that have just awarded themselves a 9% pay rise.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Of course.  Themselves first remember?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Labour's worse than the Tories, IMO, at least the Tories don't pretend to care.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:47 am

God. That is awful. Will The Mail print this? What a bloody mess. I suppose I should be pleased, but I'm not. This reminds me of the biased reporting that was going on in Ireland when I couldn't make anyone understand that is often wasn't The IRA that was instigating and causing trouble, but it was made to seem as though it was.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:43 am

You had a perfect example of that on Friday, Sabot, when unionist thugs running riot in Glasgow and setting fire to newspaper offices was reported as Rival referendum groups clashing.

Unfortunately for the Establishment, these days, everyone bar the poor old ladies they scared into No, can go on the internet and see the truth for themselves - live.

They may imagine they have won the battle, but long-term, they've lost the war.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:12 am

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/social-media-becomes-the-focus-as-the-45-vow-to-keep-the-faith.25385544

Social media becomes the focus as the '45' vow to keep the faith
Iain Smith
Monday 22 September 2014
A NEW grassroots social media movement has said it will take up the mantle of the Yes campaign in a renewed pursuit of Scottish independence.

Referendum aftermath - Page 10 25400000

The group, which currently badges itself as the 45%, says it speaks for the 1.6 million Yes voters who lost out on last Thursday's referendum.

In the last few days, it has amassed more than 150,000 likes on Facebook with the campaign trending on Twitter.

The movement is hoping to capitalise on the swelling interest in grassroots political activism which swept across Scotland in the last few months.

The blue Yes logo that became ubiquitous on Twitter and Facebook profile pictures in recent weeks has now been replaced by a similarly designed 45 sticker.

Glasgow University's Phillips O'Brien, an expert on party politics, believes the credibility of the 45 movement will be measured by its longevity. He said: "What is happening now is not as important as what will happen in a year or so.

"At the moment there are a lot of angry people out there who say they are committed to being an activist.

"But whether that is still the case by the time of the next General Election is unclear.

"It's certainly not impossible though, and I think it will be fascinating to see how this campaign progresses."

The referendum has sparked a massive uptake in political party membership.

The SNP has welcomed more than 5,000 new members while the Scottish Green Party's contingent has more than doubled since the polls closed.

More at link.

It's actually over 11,000 new members now.

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:26 am

The SNP retweeted
Peter Murrell @PeterMurrell · 1h
Thu 5pm @theSNP membership was 25,642. Mon 10am there's 14,051 extra new members. Join us too and make a difference https://my.snp.org/join

Peter MurrellVerified account
‏@PeterMurrell
Mega drum roll... @theSNP now has 40,000 members. Big welcome to all 14,358 newbies. Join too and make a difference: https://my.snp.org/join

Pcorneater
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Wings Over Scotland retweeted
Vaughan Williams @Vaughan_Wms · 5h
Unbelievable news that Ed Balls has promised to cut Child Benefit for the first 2years of a Labour Government. #Llanelli @PlaidLlanelli

Pcorneater
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:22 pm

http://mashable.com/2014/09/22/how-victory-in-the-scottish-vote-is-tearing-the-uk-apart

How Victory in the Scottish Vote is Tearing the UK Apart

That explains the clusterf*ck perfectly. And it IS Cameron's fault. Alex Salmond wanted devo-max on the ticket, but Cameron refused. And then an opposition back-bencher promised it anyway, and Vows were made.

So here we are. Pcorneater
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Bruce McQuillan ‏@broosterM 3h
@OfficeGSBrown 15,000 new SNP Members since #indyref without your hard work and dedication to the No Campaign would not have been possible.

*chuckle*
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:21 pm

So all going well, then. Any fool could have seen this happening. We all hoped for a while, but nothing lost as far as I can see.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Remember I said a narrow NO win would be the worst of all possibly outcomes? That a clean divorce, with the civil servants politely sorting out who gets the family silver would be the best?

Instead we have, well, a clusterf*ck of disasters present, looming and future. And do remember, Cameron wouldn't agree to Devomax being on the ballot, though Alex Salmond wanted it. The diehard unionists would have voted No, the likes of me would have voted YES, but the majority would have voted for Devomax and a gradual increase of powers and control of revenue to Edinburgh.

Here we are instead, with Alex Salmond the only happy politician in these septic isles. He was all but breaking into song at his various interviews and speeches yesterday.

So tremble false Whigs in the midst of yer glee
For you've no seen the last of my bonnets and me

he declared with an Evil Genius smile. Possibly because so many thousands of outraged people have joined the SNP since Thursday, they've not only crashed the server, but are about to make it the third-largest party IN THE UK.

Tell you, he's an Evil Genius.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:46 pm

I think he's more like a favorite uncle.  smile
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Much better this way, Bonny. Albeit in hindsight. It will pretty nearly destroy Westminster. Everyone is sick to death of corruption. The whole lot wants pulling down.
The Orange Order don't count. And now they are exposed for what they are. Not just in Scotland.

Now is probably not the time to give my opinions on Ireland. My paternal family came from Tipperary. Mitchell's Town and Tipperary, sadly no longer have many Mitchells. We are almost extinct in Southern Ireland. A large number of them died at Culloden. Most of the rest were forced to leave. And Yes, I do bloody well mind.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:34 pm

http://nationalcollective.com/2014/09/22/peter-arnott-this-is-going-to-be-good/

The Scots were never big enough to break the Union. That’s always been a job for the English

That's a very good piece on the complete and utter mess that has now been created. Personally, I don't have a problem with the concept of 'Home Rule for England', though I would go further and hope that at some point in the future, England itself is federated.

Which would be a very nasty shock for the UKIP-ers, M25 corridor-dwellers, and Daily Mail Little Englanders, when they found out just who has been subsidising them for generations.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:06 pm

GavC1888 ‏@HopeOverFear_14 3h
Membership of #SNP stands at 42,336 as of 4pm today. The party says it has gained 16,694 new members in past few days. #indyref

The membership of the LibDems in the whole of the UK is 43,000 and the UKIPs a bit less. Oh dear.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:33 pm

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/ed-balls-labour-would-not-vote-for-rushed-constitutional-settlement.1411384380

Ed Balls: Labour won't vote for rushed solution to Scottish question
Monday 22 September 2014
Shadow chancellor Ed Balls has said Labour would not vote for a "rushed" constitutional settlement that "would not work" in the wake of the Scottish referendum.

My, whoever would have seen that coming?

No doubt Gordon Brown will be given a Lordship and £300 a day expenses to shut him up now he's served his purpose.

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 pm

They all have their price.  Morally corrupt bunch of ****ers.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:14 pm

If you think American politicians are bad, Lily, you've never seen a Scottish Labour type with an expense account - taxpayers' expense, of course. The rotten boroughs they've created make Chicago look honest and incorruptible.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:21 pm

OMG.  That must be reprehensible?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums