JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
READY, STEADY, NICKED! EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
READY, STEADY, NICKED! EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
READY, STEADY, NICKED! EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
READY, STEADY, NICKED! EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
READY, STEADY, NICKED! EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
READY, STEADY, NICKED! EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
READY, STEADY, NICKED! EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
READY, STEADY, NICKED! EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
READY, STEADY, NICKED! EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

READY, STEADY, NICKED!

+2
bb1
Lamplighter
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

READY, STEADY, NICKED! Empty READY, STEADY, NICKED!

Post  Lamplighter Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:01 am

Celebrity chef held on shoplifting
Press Association – 1 hour 13 minutes ago

TV star and chef, Antony Worrall Thompson, has been cautioned by police
Celebrity chef Antony Worrall Thompson has been arrested for shoplifting cheese and wine at a supermarket, police have revealed.
The Ready Steady Cook star, 60, was cautioned by police after they were called to the Tesco store in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire.
The former I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! contestant, whose restaurant business has been hit by the recession, was using a self-scanning till on Friday, January 6.
According to The Sun, a camera had been set up after he was spotted by staff not paying for some low-value items on a total of five occasions.
He was stopped by guards leaving the store in front of shocked shoppers, The Sun reported
A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: "Thames Valley Police arrested a 60-year-old man from High Wycombe following a report of shoplifting offences in Tesco, Reading Road, Henley-on-Thames.
"The man has been issued with a formal caution for these offences."
A Tesco spokesman said: "It's a matter for police."

That is so funny!!!! LL rofl rofl
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

READY, STEADY, NICKED! Empty Re: READY, STEADY, NICKED!

Post  bb1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:34 am

not paying for some low-value items

Oh, the shame of it - swiping own brand cheddar and plonk rofl rofl rofl
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

bb1 wrote:not paying for some low-value items

Oh, the shame of it - swiping own brand cheddar and plonk rofl rofl rofl
I have only seen a couple of his programs, but he comes over to me as a pompous prat!! LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  sans_souci Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 am

How sad.

sans_souci
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Indeed, sans - there is something pathetic about being caught nicking cheese. If it had been some kind of scheme to import Dom Perignon without paying duty, something with a bit of style...

But Tesco cheese...at first I thought, Oh, it was one of those self-service things, he probably got confused.

Then I realised it had happened a few times. Maybe he could claim he was protesting about the decline in service to consumers?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:01 pm

"The man has been issued with a formal caution for these offences."

Sounds like the police aren't going to take it any further, and tactfully put the incident down to stupidity under stress?

Also, I suspect it would be hard to prove anyone deliberately shoplifted at one of those ghastly check-outs?

I personally refuse to use them; I have seen them reduce otherwise intelligent, sane adults to tears.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  sans_souci Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:19 pm

I assume that he is not exactly skint. So it cannot be a "feed the family" issue. And as you say, it was petty larceny, not some grand scheme.

It seems there is a bit of a tendency for some people to go into a self destruct mode - a symptom of depression. Sadly, I have seen the same thing several times. No excuse for it, but sometimes there is a reason.

I agree he is a pompous prat, but that is another issue.

sans_souci
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:28 pm

I don't wish to appear sanctimonious, but to me anyone who has money has no reason to steal, however petty the larceny may be. He is wealthy, so why take things that are not your own? I am well off, I would not dream of stealing - I can afford what I want or need; if I can't afford it I go without. Had he been a down-and-out, then I for one would have looked the other way, but not a celebrity, sorry. Oh, dear I do sound a bit holier than thou, but that's how I see things. Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  sans_souci Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:43 pm

I see where you are coming from. And as you say he has no reason or need to steal. And it was not exactly that clever. So why?

I do not think that people do things for no reason, conscious or unconcious.

sans_souci
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:52 pm

sans_souci wrote:I see where you are coming from. And as you say he has no reason or need to steal. And it was not exactly that clever. So why?

I do not think that people do things for no reason, conscious or unconcious.

I have seen such actions being described as a cry for help; would that also apply to Lindsey Lohan, for example? LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:00 pm

I was a Store Detective for a while, and the only person I ever caught was an elderly man, out shopping with his family. He stuffed a couple of rolls of Selotape into his pocket, but collapsed in a panic when I approached him, and begged me not to tell on him.
I told him he was a stupid old sod who ought to know better, and FFS not to do it again.
Then I let him go. Two rolls of Selotape for Christ's sake.

I gave up the job shortly after. You so rarely catch the hard cases, who would probably smack you in the mouth and run anyway. Presuming you even saw them do it.

Anyone want lessons in Shop Lifting?
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 pm

Sabot, I think I would have done as you did. Two rolls of Sellotape are hardly serious theft and I imagine he learned his lesson well that day? That is the main point.

Had it have been more serious, a different attitude and so on, then the person(s) would have deserved more.......
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 pm

was using a self-scanning till

If he was stressed already, which he seems to have been, one of those abominations may have led him to think, Damn you, Tesco, I'll show you!

Note he was let off with a caution - I think it would be very hard to prove malicious intent on the part of anyone being 'forgetful' *cough* at one of those. They are the work of Satan.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Phew, thank goodness! A W-T has now done the Celebrity Grovel:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/anthony-worral-thompson-arrested-for-shoplifting-cheese-and-wine.html

Antony Worral Thompson apologises for shoplifting cheese and wine
By Gaby Leslie | Yahoo! News – 2 hours 46 minutes ago

Celebrity TV chef Antony Worrall Thompson, who was arrested for shoplifting low-value items from Tesco, has apologised for his actions.

Worrall Thompson, who is best known for his appearances in ‘Ready Steady Cook’ and ‘I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here’ in 2003, was caught red-handed on a hidden camera stealing the items from a Tesco store in Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire.

A camera was set up amid concerns that the famed chef had been stealing from the store five times over a 16-day period.

READY, STEADY, NICKED! T27133424

Worrall Thompson, was arrested on suspicion of theft at the branch and taken to a local police station on Friday.

It is reported that the 60-year-old, of High Wycombe, was cautioned for shop-lifting goods like cheese and bottles of wine from the self-service checkouts by failing to scan the barcodes and then leaving the store with the goods.

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: “We arrested a man from High Wycombe following a report of shoplifting offences.

“The man has been issued with a formal caution for these offences.”

Worral Thompson has since apologised for his actions. In a statement released on Monday, the celebrity chef said: "I am so sorry for all my recent stupid and irresponsible actions. I am of course devastated for my family and friends, whom I've let down and will seek the treatment that is clearly needed.

"I am not the first, and I certainly won't be the last person to do something without rhyme or reason - what went through my head, only time will tell."

"Of course, I must also apologise sincerely to Tesco, with whom I'm had a long and genuine working relationship, and to all the staff at the Henley branch, many of whom I've got to know over the years.
Once again, I am so sorry and hopefully in the future I can make amends."

In 2009, Worrall Thompson was forced to close four of his restaurants after his chain AWT Restaurants, went into administration

========================

See? He wasn't in his right mind - if he had been, he'd have nicked the good stuff, not Tesco Value brand.

He'll be a National Treasure in no time now!
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:30 pm

lily wrote:Sabot, I think I would have done as you did. Two rolls of Sellotape are hardly serious theft and I imagine he learned his lesson well that day? That is the main point.

Had it have been more serious, a different attitude and so on, then the person(s) would have deserved more.......

Elderly people rarely steal anything of value, Lily. Just silly things like a packet of batteries, or a packet of hair grips. I don't know what gets into them, but I doubt it is of evil intent. I certainly wasn't going to shame him in front of his family when the hard cases often get away with very large amounts.
And he didn't get away with his haul. I frightened him witless.
But I know someone who pursued an old man for a packet of batteries. He got a caution from the store. So who did better, her or me? I think I was right.
To me it is about stopping people, but some store detectives get a kick out of catching more vulnerable people because they can't catch the people they should really be after.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Well, who are they going to stop, the old boy who's wandered off with a tin of soup?

Or the whacked-out crackhead with the machete under his tracky top who's just lifted a 40" plasma TV?

It'll be the old boy with the soup every time....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Remember Lady Isobel Barnett of 'What's my Line'?? She was caught stealing with a tragic result. LL

When the more informal culture of the 1960s and 1970s brought an end to her television career, she descended into a reclusive and eccentric existence. In 1980, she was found guilty of shoplifting, being fined £75 for stealing a can of tuna and a carton of cream worth 87p from her village grocer. This brought her briefly back into the public eye, and just four days later, she was found dead in the bath at her home in Cossington, Leicestershire. The coroner returned a verdict of suicide.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Oh yes....I vaguely remember that, LL. Such a shame, that she took her life over something like that. Poor woman must have felt ashamed beyond bearing.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Elderly people rarely steal anything of value, Lily. Just silly things like a packet of batteries, or a packet of hair grips. I don't know what gets into them, but I doubt it is of evil intent. I certainly wasn't going to shame him in front of his family when the hard cases often get away with very large amounts.
And he didn't get away with his haul. I frightened him witless.
But I know someone who pursued an old man for a packet of batteries. He got a caution from the store. So who did better, her or me? I think I was right.
To me it is about stopping people, but some store detectives get a kick out of catching more vulnerable people because they can't catch the people they should really be after.

You are so right, Sabot. The poor souls rarely do and you DID do the right thing.

When the more informal culture of the 1960s and 1970s brought an end to her television career, she descended into a reclusive and eccentric existence. In 1980, she was found guilty of shoplifting, being fined £75 for stealing a can of tuna and a carton of cream worth 87p from her village grocer. This brought her briefly back into the public eye, and just four days later, she was found dead in the bath at her home in Cossington, Leicestershire. The coroner returned a verdict of suicide.

How unconscionable was that? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Of course it will be the old people who will feel the weight of the law. The poor crackhead should go free, shouldn't he? mad

This reminds me, how disgraceful is it that so many older people are struggling to make ends meet. They deserve compassion.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Why leak this to The Press? I just don't get it. It was a Store Caution. He wasn't even charged. In fact no one has proved that he even knew what he was doing.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Someone has been really mean, Sabot.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:05 pm

He's a celebrity, and someone will always be near who sees a quick buck in the making. It's unfortunate but these are the times we live in. LL Shocked
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Please do not misunderstand me anyone. I do not approve of shop lifting. But having lived in a certain area in Plymouth I know what real shop lifters are all about. Thousands of pounds in any one week, perpetrated by gangs of violent hooligans storming through stores, and no chance of catching them. They then sell their "Wares" to anyone who will buy. They even go out with shopping lists from various customers.
And on the very odd occasion that one of them is caught they get fines and suspended sentences over and over again. This is the real problem. Not some silly old man nicking a bit of cheese and wine.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:12 pm

It may turn out to be the best thing that could have happened, LL. He only got a caution, but his family are now aware that he has problems, whether due to stress, or whatever, so hopefully he will get help to get through this bad patch.

And Sabot's right, in the scale of shoplifting, this is penny-ante stuff.

Maybe nicking own brand cheddar instead of a nice, ripe brie and some olives was a cry for help Wink
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Sabot, I believe we are on the same page. I don't approve either but we get to the degree by which it is done, and the circumstances. There are times that require perspective, fairness and compassion.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next