JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
mega cruise liner sinks EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
mega cruise liner sinks EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
mega cruise liner sinks EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
mega cruise liner sinks EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
mega cruise liner sinks EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
mega cruise liner sinks EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
mega cruise liner sinks EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
mega cruise liner sinks EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
mega cruise liner sinks EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

mega cruise liner sinks

+4
Lamplighter
Sabot
bb1
Pedro Silva
8 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

mega cruise liner sinks Empty mega cruise liner sinks

Post  Pedro Silva Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:40 am

Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

mega cruise liner sinks Empty Re: mega cruise liner sinks

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 am

Thanks, Pedro, I have just been catching up on this - awful!

Passengers die as ship runs aground

mega cruise liner sinks N0980401326519078443A

mega cruise liner sinks N0982201326537135508A

At least three people have died after a luxury cruise ship ran aground off the coast of Tuscany, sending water pouring in through a 160ft gash in the hull and forcing the evacuation of some 4,200 people from the listing vessel.

Three bodies were recovered from the sea, said coastguard spokesman Francesco Paolillo. There were reports that three other people had died after the accident late on Friday night near the tiny Tuscan island of Giglio, but those reports were not yet confirmed, he said.

Helicopters plucked to safety some 50 people who were trapped on the Costa Concordia after the liner listed so badly they couldn't launch lifeboats, Mr Paolillo said.

"We were having dinner aboard when we heard a loud noise, like that of the keel being dragged over something," passenger Luciano Castro, a journalist, told Italian state radio.

The lights went out "and there were scenes of panic, glasses falling to the floor," Mr Castro said.

Another passenger on what was be an eight-day pleasure cruise around Mediterranean ports, Mara Parmegiani, also a journalist, told the Ansa news agency that "it was like a scene from the Titanic".

Survivor Christine Hammer, from Bonn, Germany, shivered near the harbour of Porto Santo Stefano, on the mainland, after stepping off a ferry from Giglio. She was wearing elegant dinner clothes and a large pair of hiking boots, which an islander gave her after she lost her shoes in the scramble to escape, along with her passport, credit cards and phone.

Ms Hammer, 65, said she was eating her first course, an appetiser of squid, on her first night aboard her first cruise, which was a gift to her and her husband, Gert, from her local church where she volunteers.

Suddenly, "we heard a crash. Glasses and plates fell down and we went out of the dining room and we were told it wasn't anything dangerous," she said.

The passengers were instructed to put on life jackets and take to the life rafts but, Hammer said, they couldn't get into the boats, because the cruise liner was tilting so much the boats couldn't be lowered into the cold, night sea. The passengers were eventually rescued by one of several boats in the area that came to their aid.

=================

Another passenger on what was be an eight-day pleasure cruise around Mediterranean ports, Mara Parmegiani, also a journalist, told the Ansa news agency that "it was like a scene from the Titanic".

That is just what it looks like - and sounds like, with the business of not being able to launch the boats.

It's no comfort to the bereaved, but thank goodness the loss of life was no worse.

Even the Med won't be warm in January.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:54 am

You welcome my friend, vey awful indeed.

doesn´t that liner had GPS, or a tracking system? so much technology for nothing.

at least, in the Titanic, the boats were launched.

I wonder if the pilot had any experience ? Or, I wonder if he was too sleepy to see what caused this.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:03 am

I know, Pedro, I just cannot imagine how, in this day and age, this could happen.

You can SEE the rocks in the daytime photo; the Med isn't tidal, they wouldn't have been covered....

Not that that matters, as radar and sonar have been around for a very long time. Yet somehow, whoever was supposed to be in charge managed to hit them and rip a huge gash in the liner's side.

It must have been absolutely terrifying for the passengers when the liner started to go over like that. Your blood runs cold just reading that - it was damn near a carbon copy of Titanic.

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:15 am

More on the Sky site:

mega cruise liner sinks 512x

''We were having dinner when all of a sudden the lights went out," he said. "It seemed as if the ship struck something and then we heard a load bang and everything fell to the floor.
''The captain immediately came on the tannoy and said that there had been an electrical fault but it seemed very strange as the ship almost immediately began to list to one side. The glasses just slid off the table.
''We were then told to put on our life vests and head to the lifeboats just to be safe but there was a real panic onboard you could see it in the faces of the people especially those with young families.
''Then a few minutes later there were seven whistles which meant everyone had to get in the lifeboats.''

Another passenger Mara Parmegiani said: ''It was just like something out of the Titanic. You could tell straight away that the ship had hit something and no way was it an electrical fault.''

=============

Being close to shore is no guarantee of safety - nearly 200 passengers died in Zeebrugge harbour on the Herald of Free Enterprise because some idiot let it sail with the bow doors open.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:35 am

Jesus, it looks as though it hit The Lighthouse. But even if it didn't The Lighthouse was there for a reason.
Somedebody will be in trouble over this.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:41 am

Apparently the captain steered it into shore, Sabot. But look at the port side:

mega cruise liner sinks 454x

Someone must have been asleep at the wheel to do that?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:43 am

bb1, Sabot, you´re both right.

Surely, that the pilot or whoever was the bridge could see the light from the lighthouse.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:45 am

Good point, Pedro, even if all the electronics, the radar, everything, had failed, they should still have been able to see the lighthouse....that is what they are there for...
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:49 am

yes bb1, you´re right.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:50 am

How much do you bet that whoever was on the bridge was so busy looking at screens and whizy computer displays, they didn't actually look out the window?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:07 pm

It certainly hit a Rock, and it seems to have been moving at the time by the length of the gash.
But I doubt they need us on The Enquiry Team. So much for Water Tight Compartments if the damage is extensive enough. The same thing happened to The Titanic.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:14 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16558910

Coast guard official Francesco Paolillo, a local coast guard official, told the AFP news agency there was a 30m hole in the ship but that it was too early to say what exactly had happened.

"We think this happened as a result of sailing too close to an obstacle like a reef," he said.

Yes, I think that is a pretty good guess.....

I can't imagine what went through the passengers' minds..

You're on a liner in winter, at night, it's just hit something and ripped a gash below the waterline, and the watertight doors aren't and it's listing and the lifeboats can't launch..

On the other hand, I can guess EXACTLY what was going through their minds. If the death toll stays at three - which is not minimising the loss and grief that will cause - then it will be more good luck than good judgement, IMO.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:26 pm

I just don't understand how they didn't see The Lighthouse Light. This light usually means Watch Out For Rocks. And you can see it for some fair old distance.
I have to say that I feel sorry the twat who did this, probably a Junior Officer, that's his career down the pan.
But I do feel more sorry for the people who died. Thank God it wasn't more.

PS. I wonder who were The Insurers. Lloyds? There will be a few investors choking on their Kedgeree this morning.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:34 pm

I should think the underwriters will be as gobsmacked as most people are, looking at it, Sabot.

Never mind lighthouses, when whoever is on the bridge can see what islanders are watching on telly, it's generally a sign that you are TOO CLOSE TO SHORE.

Apparently some of the fitter passengers jumped off and swam, as it was only a few hundred yards, rather than risk getting trapped on the ship, etc.

I think I would have been tempted to do the same.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:37 pm

Not good news:

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16148897

Three people have died and at least 50 more are missing after a cruise ship carrying thousands of passengers, including 24 British holidaymakers, ran aground off Italy's coast.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:04 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086527/Costa-Concordia-accident-Pictures-cruise-ship-sinking-coast-Ita

Good article in The Mail which says that the electrical fault happened first.
There appears to be a bloody great rock in the middle of the 50 metre long gash.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Good Lord, so it does!

mega cruise liner sinks Article-2086527-0F7474AE00000578-838_634x481

Can I take a guess? The electrical failure knocked out the computers, and everyone was so busy mucking about with them, they didn't actually LOOK OUT OF THE WINDOW?

mega cruise liner sinks Article-2086527-0F74828D00000578-87_634x354

Yes, I would definitely have swum for the shore - the passengers couldn't have known how much water was under the ship, if it was going to turn turtle - Poseidon Adventure - or head downwards - Titanic - while funnels, etc., rained down on them.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:32 pm

mega cruise liner sinks Article-2086527-0F749BBB00000578-346_634x361

Passengers spoke of having to crawl along near vertical hallways and stairwells to escape the ship as it began to take on more and more water

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086527/Costa-Concordia-accident-Pictures-cruise-ship-sinking-coast-Italy-Titanic-like-scene.html#ixzz1jS1alECj
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:07 pm

I once knew and old fisherman who said that his sons wouldn't be able to find a Whale without Sonars and Deckers. He wasn't wrong.

Yep, it is looking as though they all panicked when their electronic equipment went down.
Personally, I still add up properly, just to check that my calculator is right. It often isn't.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

mega cruise liner sinks Empty s

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:15 pm

http://costaconcordia.info/

Costa Concordia is the bijou of the cruise shipping in Europe. The vessel is sailing under the flag of Italy and proves the words for high quality and reliability.

Not now it doesn't. Never mind, there is always its spa...

Many people claim that the ship was built around the largest on-board spa center of the world, instead of the opposite. This is quite expected if you know that Costa Concordia is having the largest spa center ever built on board of cruise ship. The Samsara Spa is large, luxury and fully equipped to give the visitors ability to have calm and relaxing time on board.

You know, you would think they would learn not to tempt fate.....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:19 pm

An old friend of mine, unhappily no longer with us, was an airline pilot and he was consistently appalled and amazed at the younger pilots actually being unable to use anything but electrical gadgets to fly a plane. Hos cry was "Sod it, we flew by the seat of our pants, not some twinkly, tinkly piece of metal!" He taught many of the German and Austrian airline pilots when they were learning their trade. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:24 pm

I watched an Air Crash Investigation like that recently, LL. I forget which crash it was, but the pilots got so tied up in watching the software, they didn't notice that everything else was going wrong until it was too late

According to Sky:

The British consulate told Sky News the 37 Britons onboard - 25 passengers and 12 crew members, mainly entertainers - were rescued.

I seem to recall an occasion on a cruise ship in trouble, when the Greek captain was first off, and left the ship's magician, who was fortunately a Brit, in charge?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:26 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTS_Oceanos

At approximately 21:30 UTC+2, while off the Wild Coast of the Transkei, a muffled explosion was heard and the Oceanos lost her power following a leak in the engine room's sea chest. The ship's engineer reported to Captain Yiannis Avranas that water was entering the hull and flooding the generator room.[2] The generators were shut down because the rising water would have shorted them. The supply of power to auxiliary equipment which ran the engines had been severed, so the ship was left floating adrift.
The water steadily rose, flowing through the 10 cm (3.9 in) hole in the bulkhead and into the waste disposal tank. Without check valves in the holding tank, the water coursed through the main drainage pipes and rose like a tide within the ship, spilling out of every shower, toilet, and waste disposal unit connected to the system.
Realizing the fate of the ship, the crew fled in panic, neglecting to close the lower deck portholes, which is standard policy during emergency procedures. No alarm was raised. Passengers remained ignorant of the events taking place until they themselves witnessed the first signs of flooding in the lower decks. At this stage, eyewitness accounts reveal that many of the crew, including Captain Avranas, were already packed and ready to depart, seemingly unconcerned with the safety of the passengers.[3]
[edit]Rescue efforts
Nearby vessels responded to the ship's SOS and were the first to provide assistance. The South African Navy along with the South African Air Force launched a massive seven-hour mission in which 16 helicopters were used to airlift the remainder of the passengers and crew to the nearby settlements of The Haven and Hole in the Wall (32°2′0″S 29°6′36″E), about 10 km (6.2 mi) south of Coffee Bay. Of the 16 rescue helicopters, 13 were South African Air Force Pumas, nine of which were responsible for hoisting and evacuating 225 passengers off the deck of the sinking ship.[4]
All 571 people on board were saved, following one of the world’s most dramatic and successful rescue operations of its kind. Entertainers Julian Butler and Moss Hills[5] recorded the efforts of the entertainment staff, which included Tracy Hills and Robert Boltman,[6] to assist the passengers with a home video recorder. Butler, Hills and Hills' wife Tracy were among the last five to be rescued from the ship just before it sank.[7]
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:35 pm

Actually it is interesting to note that the ship will almost certainly not sink beneath the water, and anyone who clung to the highest point would have been rescued.
I would have been amongst that lot because I can barely swim to save my life.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next