JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track

2 posters

Go down

Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track Empty Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track

Post  Lamplighter Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:52 am

West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track
Sky News – 9 minutes ago

The decision to award the West Coast Main Line franchise to FirstGroup has been cancelled due to flaws in the way the process was conducted.
The decision was announced by Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin.
It means the Department for Transport (DfT) will no longer be awarding a franchise contract to run the West Coast service when the current franchise expires in December.
FirstGroup was due to take over the running of the London to Scotland line after being awarded the contract by the DfT in August, but Virgin Rail, which currently runs the service, launched a High Court challenge against the decision.
The DfT said it would be no longer contesting the judicial review sought by Sir Richard Branson's company.
Mr McLoughlin has also ordered two independent reviews into the competition process.
The flaws uncovered by the DfT relate to the way the procurement was conducted by department officials, it said.
It said the flaws stemmed from the way the level of risk in the bids was evaluated.
Mistakes were made in the way in which inflation and passenger numbers were taken into account and how much money bidders were then asked to guarantee as a result, the DfT added.

An announcement is expected to be made later about the suspension of Government staff while the investigations are conducted.
The Government said it was "resolving urgently" the future arrangements for operation of the West Coast service - which was due to be handed over to FirstGroup on December 9.
Mr McLoughlin said: "I have had to cancel the competition for the running of the West Coast franchise because of deeply regrettable and completely unacceptable mistakes made by my department in the way it managed the process."
He added: "West Coast passengers can rest assured that while we seek urgently to resolve the future arrangements the trains that run now will continue to run, with the same drivers, the same staff and timetables as planned.
"The tickets that people have booked will continue to be valid and passengers will be able to make their journeys as planned."
The Government has also paused all the other outstanding franchise competitions (Great Western, Essex Thameside and Thameslink) pending the independent reviews.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track Empty Re: Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track

Post  bb1 Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:21 am

Oh my! That was a most peculiar decision from the start....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track Empty Re: Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track

Post  Lamplighter Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:28 am

bb1 wrote:Oh my! That was a most peculiar decision from the start....
Indeed it was! One wonders about vested interests .... This may run and run (sorry for the pun!!) Here, have some Pcorneater LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:15 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/992425/west-coast-franchise-is-thrown-off-track

The mistakes in Whitehall were only revealed because officials were gathering evidence for the court case, suggesting they may not have been uncovered for some time had there been no challenge.

As it is, this fiasco is costing taxpayers millions. Can you imagine the final bill if Branson hadn't challenged it, and the franchise had gone to Firstgroup?

And what were they thinking about to begin with? Taking it away from a company that has done a pretty good job of dragging the railway into the 21st century, and giving it to one with an appalling reputation?

The whole thing stinks.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:21 pm

The contract for these things is one of a certain time frame; it has to be tendered out when it is due for expiry. The group's bid was better than Branson's so they won; normal practice. But Branson got shirty and started a court action for a review and this blew the lid off it all. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm glad he did, LL. I suspect that, two or three years down the line, Firstgroup would have announced they had gone bust because of 'miscalculations', the government = the taxpayer would have had to fork out to keep the trains running, while all the time the service got worse and worse.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:44 pm

If it hadn't been for the time limit on the Branson tender none of this would have happened - it's called free enterprise, I believe!!
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:04 pm

It's a bit like me offering to pay a million pounds for a house, and you offering £900,00 - but after I'd moved in, not actually stumping up the money...

But in this case, you, ie Branson, said, Oy, wait a minute, she hasn't got a million quid to pay for the house....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:08 pm

bb1 wrote:It's a bit like me offering to pay a million pounds for a house, and you offering £900,00 - but after I'd moved in, not actually stumping up the money...

But in this case, you, ie Branson, said, Oy, wait a minute, she hasn't got a million quid to pay for the house....
Yes. And who in their right mind tries to put one over on Sir Richard? I think heads are going to roll at DfT. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:11 pm

I have never, ever, known such a shower of incompetent chancers as the current Westminster government, LL.

The only two people in any kind of prominent position with the slightest idea what they are doing are Sir Richard Branson and Boris Johnson.

Which is not good....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:30 pm

bb1 wrote:I have never, ever, known such a shower of incompetent chancers as the current Westminster government
I have. Who sold the UK's gold to the Chinese for a pittance? Who took the country into a war on a lie? But who am I to comment on the government, I don't vote, excerpt for the SNP! Actually I hate politicians almost as much as I hate religionists. But we need them or there would be even more anarchy than there is now. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Well, I don't really regard Westminster as 'my' government, LL Wink
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 pm

bb1 wrote:Well, I don't really regard Westminster as 'my' government, LL Wink
I never considered it mine when I lived in the UK, it was on the wrong side of the border! Nowadays I am registered to vote in Austria, including for voting regarding the EU, I haven't changed it although I live here now. At my age I consider it all rather academic to be honest. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Let the train go down the drain - West Coast Franchise Is Thrown Off Track I-front-page-1-329x437
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:53 am

Latest:

Virgin Trains Secures West Coast Extension
Sky News – 12 minutes ago

Virgin Trains has agreed to continue running the West Coast Main Line for up to 13 months while the government resolves the flawed process that saw FirstGroup initially awarded the franchise.
The temporary agreement was proposed by the Department for Transport (DfT) after its embarrassing U-turn earlier this month when it admitted it got its sums wrong in its decision to give the business to FirstGroup.
Virgin's current franchise is due to end on December 9 but it has agreed to remain as operator while a competition is run for an interim franchise agreement.
Sir Richard Branson had led a campaign against the initial award to FirstGroup, claiming the 13 year deal would likely bankrupt the company, resulting in a legal challenge .
After discovering the errors and withdrawing the contract on October 3, the DfT later apologised to-then Transport Secretary Justine Greening who had sought repeated assurances from officials that the bid calculations were correct.
Three civil servants were suspended when the " significant technical flaws " came to light and a review process begun.
Patrick McLoughlin, who replaced Ms Greening in a Cabinet re-shuffle said today: "The cancellation of the InterCity West Coast franchise is deeply regrettable and I apologise to the bidders involved and taxpayers who have a right to expect better.
"My priority now is to fix the problem and the first step is to take urgent action to ensure that on December 9 services continue to run to the same standard and passengers are not affected.
The RMT transport union had wanted the West Coast franchise to be run by the DfT in the public sector, as is the case at the moment with the East Coast franchise.
RMT leader Bob Crow said: "This announcement is no surprise. The Government are ideologically opposed to public ownership of the railways and, in collusion with the private train operators, have stitched up a shabby deal that will enable them to rerun the whole franchise fiasco in a year's time.
"Richard Branson and his shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank, he said."
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Oh, what a surprise! Tens of millions of taxpayers' money down the toilet, and we are back where we started.

Did I ever tell you I loathe this particular Westminster government?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 pm

bb1 wrote:Oh, what a surprise! Tens of millions of taxpayers' money down the toilet, and we are back where we started.

Did I ever tell you I loathe this particular Westminster government?
Frequently, but then I feel the same way about the 13 years that proceeded them! LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down