JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van'

5 posters

Go down

South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' Empty South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van'

Post  bb1 Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1058102/south-africa-man-dragged-behind-police-van

South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van'
Shocking footage emerges of alleged police brutality after which a 27-year-old taxi driver died in custody.

[video]

A taxi driver in South Africa died after being handcuffed to a police vehicle and dragged hundreds of yards, it has been alleged.

Independent police investigators are looking into the claims after video footage emerged showing a man being dragged along a road behind a police van.

The man, named locally as 27-year-old Mido Macia from Mozambique, was later found dead in a police cell in Daveyton, Johannesburg, on Tuesday.

Officers have claimed they put Mr Macia in a police van in order to take him to a police station on the East Rand, and cannot explain how he later died.

But the video, obtained by South Africa's Daily Sun newspaper, shows officers struggling to overpower a man - believed to be the taxi driver - before attaching him to a point at the rear of their vehicle and then driving off leaving him hanging outside.

South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' N21-daily-sun-south-africa-police-brutality-07h40m39s01-1-522x293

Officers are seen restraining the man and handcuffing him to the van

At one point they attempt to carry his legs while the vehicle is moving forward but have to drop him as the police van speeds up.

The footage then shows the man trying to stay on his feet as he is dragged behind the vehicle for several hundred metres.

The person filming the incident attempts to keep up with the truck dragging the taxi driver, but has to give up as the vehicle is going too fast.

Inmates in the cells he was taken to, have claimed he was later beaten to death by police.

South Africa's Independent Police Investigation Directorate (IPID) said on Wednesday that officers had initially attempted to arrest Mr Macia because he was allegedly obstructing traffic.

IPID spokesman Moses Dlamini said: "We are investigating an incident involving the death of man, allegedly at the hands of the police. We are shocked by the footage which has been released.

"The circumstances surrounding his death are still allegations ... let's find out what really happened," he said.

He said there were reports Mr Macia had tried to disarm a police officer before the attack.

The taxi driver was then allegedly beaten once inside the police holding cells.

He is understood to have been found dead by another police officer later the same day.

Mr Dlamini told the South African website News 24 that an investigation had begun before Mr Macia's death into allegations he carried out an assault resulting in grievous bodily harm.

A post-mortem on the dead suspect indicated he had died from head injuries with internal bleeding.

Police in South Africa are known for heavy handedness when dealing with the public, and the police watchdog is handling numerous cases of police brutality.

In the 12 months before March 2010, according to Amnesty International, there were 920 complaints of serious assault and 294 deaths in custody.

The police department could not confirm if the officers had been suspended.

=========

I am afraid the Rainbow Nation is looking more like a hellhole with every passing day....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' Empty Re: South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van'

Post  lily Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:19 pm

I can't look at the video. Speechless.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van' Empty Re: South Africa: 'Man Dragged Behind Police Van'

Post  bb1 Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:22 pm

It's horrific, Lily - the kind of thing which has led to American extremists getting the death penalty.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Dreadful. They scream loud enough when the perpetrator is white, but when it's a back person, silence. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:46 pm

I can see it going the same way as Zimbabwe, frankly. With the only difference being that their corrupt leaders will get a cut of the profits from the gold mines, etc.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:05 pm

It is just shocking. Quite a few people from there pass through here. Sometimes buying property. So much violence in so many places. Here, I have never felt so safe.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:40 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1058585/south-africa-cops-held-over-van-man-murder

Eight South African police officers have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a video showed a man being handcuffed to a moving van.

South Africa's police watchdog arrested the men over the death of a Mozambican taxi driver who died in custody after being dragged by the police vehicle.

Earlier, police in Pretoria held a press conference to placate a nation outraged by the footage showing Mido Macia being dragged through the streets.

He was later found dead in a police cell with serious head and internal injuries.

National Commissioner of the South African Police Service, General Riah Phiyega, said the eight officers had been suspended and disarmed.

The station commander in Daveytown, a township east of Johannesburg, had also been removed from his post, she said.

"Any one death is one too many," Ms Phiyega said. "We believe in the principle of police being policed."

The Daily Sun, a South African newspaper, posted footage of the dragging incident, which occurred on Tuesday.

It was apparently filmed by several people on mobile phones.

Witnesses said Mr Macia, 27, drew the attention of police when he parked in a way that blocked traffic, and then got into an row with officers.

"We are going to film this," several onlookers shouted in Zulu as the police subdued Mr Macia.

One bystander can be heard shouting: "What has this guy done?

President Jacob Zuma condemned the killing of Mr Macia.

Some commentators drew comparisons with the 1977 death of anti-apartheid activist Steve Biko, who also suffered head injuries in police custody.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:19 pm

I don't even want to think about this. But I could have told you all twenty years ago that this would happen.
But my views weren't welcomed then, and I don't suppose they would be now.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:08 pm

I doubt if you are the only person thinking that way, Sabot. It all seems to be going horribly wrong, after all those fine words at the start of the new republic.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Don't tempt me Bonny. You would probably have to ban me for being a Racist, although in fact I am not. But that is the horrible pity of it all. Too much Tribal influence which sadly most Europeans do not understand. But it is ingrained. And actually no real reason for why it shouldn't be. I mean that it just is.
But when one is not even allowed to express an opinion in Britain, then there isn't much hope for the immediate future in Africa.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down