JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Iran earthquake shakes Middle East EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Iran earthquake shakes Middle East EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Iran earthquake shakes Middle East EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Iran earthquake shakes Middle East EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Iran earthquake shakes Middle East EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Iran earthquake shakes Middle East EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Iran earthquake shakes Middle East EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Iran earthquake shakes Middle East EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Iran earthquake shakes Middle East EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Iran earthquake shakes Middle East

3 posters

Go down

Iran earthquake shakes Middle East Empty Iran earthquake shakes Middle East

Post  bb1 Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:00 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1078868/large-earthquake-felt-across-the-middle-east

Large Earthquake Felt Across The Middle East
A magnitude 7.8 earthquake strikes Iran and is felt across the Middle East, with at least 40 people reported to have been killed.

A powerful earthquake has struck near the border of Iran and Pakistan, with at least 45 people reported to have been killed.

The US Geological Survey said the earthquake had a magnitude of 7.8 - strong enough to cause damage to buildings.

Tremors were felt across the Middle East and as far away as the Indian capital New Delhi.

Iran's state-run Press TV said at least 40 people were killed.

However, a government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters he expected hundreds of deaths in what he described as "the biggest earthquake in Iran in 40 years".

Meanwhile, a hospital spokesman in Pakistan said at least five people had been killed there.

The earthquake happened around 73 miles beneath the surface in an area prone to tectonic activity.

The remote, mountainous region is around 115 miles southeast of Zahedan, a city with a population of around 550,000.

Iran's Red Crescent Society, which has sent rescue teams to the area, said it was facing a "complicated emergency situation", with villages scattered over desolate hills and valleys.

Strong tremors were felt across the Gulf, where high-rise buildings swayed and officials ordered evacuations.

The National newspaper said buildings were cleared in Sharjah, Abu Dhabi and Dubai, which is home to the world's tallest tower, the 828m Burj Khalifa.

The earthquake was also felt in New Delhi, where witnesses said tall buildings shook, sending people running into the streets.

Local TV channel NDTV said lights and equipment in its south Delhi studio shook for nearly a minute.

The tremors come a week after a deadly 6.1 magnitude earthquake was recorded 60 miles southeast of Bushehr, the site of Iran's nuclear reactor.

On Boxing Day 2003, more than 26,000 people were killed when a 6.6 magnitude quake struck Bam.

More follows...

=========

Can you let us know you're OK Lily? As soon as you have come out from under the table......
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Iran earthquake shakes Middle East Empty Re: Iran earthquake shakes Middle East

Post  lily Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi Bonny. Sorry but I went out........ embarass

The tremors here were very slight in comparison with California. Although other people who are not used to earthquakes were worried........
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Tony's always laid-back about earthquakes, too - it probably terrified all the Brits in Dubai, though.

It does seem to have caused a good few casualties in Iran, more seriously - around about fifty, so far. Which I know isn't many by earthquake standards, but it's yet more depressing news, on a day full of tragedy.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Re earthquakes in California - actually I hardly noticed them after the first couple, and if they happened at night not even Armageddon can wake me when I'm asleep! I slept through a tornado in Tennessee, when I got up in the morning there was a car rammed high up in the tree opposite my bedroom window!! LL

Last edited by Lamplighter on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Wow, LL. hug

lily
lily
Slayer of scums