JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Gardening Thread. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Gardening Thread. - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Gardening Thread. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Gardening Thread. - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Gardening Thread. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Gardening Thread. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Gardening Thread. - Page 2 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Gardening Thread. - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Gardening Thread. - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Gardening Thread.

+6
Maggs
sadie
Lamplighter
lily
bb1
Sabot
10 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Gardening Thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Gardening Thread.

Post  bb1 Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Well, yes, that would be..colorful and eye-catching, in a Baroque fashion, Sabot...

Seriously, I inherited a fireplace with 40s-50s mock-marble tiles in GREEN. I painted them white. Goes with everything and makes it easier to see the paw-prints.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Mine is green as well, Bonny. a sort of puce colour, although it is actually solid where it hasn't cracked and pitted. None of your cheap skate tiles. I bet it cost a fortune in it's day, which has sadly long gone.

And actually I am leaning towards Purple with Gold Curlicues, and perhaps a Gold Cherub in the middle, swinging from a Turquois Rope. What do ya think?
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Why not, Sabot? It'll be like your very own Versailles! thumbsup
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Sabot wrote:
Mine is green as well, Bonny. a sort of puce colour, although it is actually solid where it hasn't cracked and pitted. None of your cheap skate tiles. I bet it cost a fortune in it's day, which has sadly long gone.

And actually I am leaning towards Purple with Gold Curlicues, and perhaps a Gold Cherub in the middle, swinging from a Turquois Rope. What do ya think?

Well, all you need to complete everything would be a piano with candelabra and it would look like Liberace's living room. rofl rofl rofl rofl
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:06 pm

lily wrote:
Sabot wrote:

Well, all you need to complete everything would be a piano with candelabra and it would look like Liberace's living room. rofl rofl rofl rofl

Mock me at your peril, Lily. I've already got the piano and the candelabra. I kid you not.
But I might need to change the curtains.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:19 pm

There you go, Sabot. Oh, do you have the metronome?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:24 pm

You'll be aiming for an understated effect, Sabot? Less is more, and all that?

Gardening Thread. - Page 2 Dp-riehl-pink-sitting-room-s4x3_lg
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:26 pm

lily wrote:There you go, Sabot. Oh, do you have the metronome?

No. But I've got a gardengnome. Will that do if I clean the lichen off?
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 pm

bb1 wrote:You'll be aiming for an understated effect, Sabot? Less is more, and all that?

Oh, very tasteful, Bonny. Is that Sherry in the Crystal Decanter with the Silver Knob on top?
But what have you done with the fireplace?
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Something simple, mayhap, Sabot?

Gardening Thread. - Page 2 P503a

Oh, lovely detailing on this one:

Gardening Thread. - Page 2 Gild_fireplace_frame
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:50 am

Oh My. I think I'll have to go for the top one. All that gold is a bit too much.

Funnily enough, that is more useful than you might think, Bonny. That green matches my windows and doors, and actually looks better than I thought it would. In fact, I hadn't even considered it until now. I shall have another "Think". I'm quite good at "Thinking", especially at 4 o'clock in the morning.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:48 pm

I have stuck the British Runner Bean Seeds into The Propagator after having soaked them in water overnight. I am told that this is the thing to do although I am not sure why. And the Tomato Seeds are also in, along with French Climbing Beans.
It just happens to be that The Moon is on the Wax, although this was entirely coincidental, so I heaved a huge sigh of relief when I realised that I had got it right for once.
Many is the time that local peasants have fallen about laughing watching me and other ignorant Brits planting things at the wrong time, so I tend to do these things in secret these days, despite the fact that I accidentally got it right for once. And it does seem to work. Sadly, it is not ingrained in my soul, so I don't always pay attention.
Seeds on The Wax. Plants on The Wane. I shall endeavour to follow that this year when I transplant the hoped for seedlings.
And it does actually make sense if you have the time and dedication to contemplate such things.

Basically I am a Townie and a haphazard Gardner, although I have often wondered how a Taurian with the soul of a Farmer managed to get born in London of all places. Personally, I blame my Paternal Great Grandfather who bailed out during The Potato Famine, but it's to late to give him a hard time about it now. And at least he survived. And I am a Cockney, and eventually gravitated to where I should be.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:01 pm

There is probably a very good reason for it, that just isn't understood scientifically yet, Sabot.

It's like people with rheumatism, arthritis, etc, knowing when the weather is going to change?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:53 pm

It's actually quite simple, Bonny. As The Moon affects gravitational pull on The Tides, it has the same effect on Plants or Seeds. When The Moon is on The Wax it allows Roots to go down, and when it is on The Wane it allows Plants to grow upwards. But I think it is more to do with Negative Pull than Positive Pull.
If you really want to get involved in this then there are better days even, on which to grown certain things.
I don't know if it is scientific, but I suspect not. Just plain old gravity, or the lesser of.
I doubt that they even think about it around here. They just know.
My mad old French neighbour who is now long dead, and never had a formal education of any kind, just knew.
God rest her awful old soul. I still miss her after nearly ten years. I go to The cemetery every All Souls Day and berate her for leaving me. And then dump a pot of Chrysanthemums on her grave. But I haven't half learned how to grow Chrysanthemums.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Sabot wrote:
bb1 wrote:You'll be aiming for an understated effect, Sabot? Less is more, and all that?

Oh, very tasteful, Bonny. Is that Sherry in the Crystal Decanter with the Silver Knob on top?
But what have you done with the fireplace?

Oooooooohhhhhhh yes. I could imagine Liberace in there. queen
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Bloody Hell. We have Lift Off. I know I believe all of this Moon Planting Stuff, but I never quite expect it to work. But after only four and a bit days I have three French Beans, two Runner Beans, and four Tomato Plants on their way up. I expected this to take at least two weeks. So if anyone is interested, you had better get your seeds in a bit smartish as you have only seven days to Full Moon. I cannot be held responsible for what might happen if you plant seeds after that, or anytime before the next Magic Window, which is three weeks away. Any delay will delay any future crop.

I use the term, "We" as I expect you all to support me through all future disappointments and disasters. I have had enough of coping with them on my own boring own.
I don't expect to have to cope with Tomato Blight again, but you never can tell. Now might be a good time to lay down a Tomato Blight Disinfectant Tray for visitors to wash their shoes in because we don't want it brought in from outside, do we. Not that I wish to be obsessive about this, but my own grown plants are my babies and I don't want them getting ill.
I did have one major disaster last year, but that was my fault. I put a load of Runner Beans in to Blanch before freezing, and then forgot about them as I went off to do something else, probably posting on here. The result was a pan full of burnt beans. But the dog enjoyed them, probably due to any form of charcoal being good for him.
I don't think I've got Altzeimers, yet, but I have had a lot of burnt saucepans, although this goes back over many years. Thank God for THE VERY EXPENSIVE SAUCEPANS THAT MY EX HUSBAND BOUGHT ME FOR CHRISTMAS MANY YEARS AGO. I wasn't very impressed at the time because I could have thought of better things to do with 350 Quid thirty years ago. But perhaps he wasn't as daft as he looked. I seem to remember that I wanted a really good Hammer Drill, but he thought that was stupid because women don't want Hammer Drills.
Why do husbands ask their wives what they want for Christmas, and then tell you that you can't have that. I still need a decent Hammer Drill, but can't afford one just at the moment.

Off to see if any more seeds have surfaced during the course of the day.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 am

Yup. They are coming up in leaps and bounds now. The French Beans are ahead of the field at the moment, perhaps due to it being Home Ground, but I don't know because I've never grown them before. You can't beat a good old British Runner, and you can't buy those here either, probably for obvious reasons. The French can get a bit difficult about things like this, especially after Napoleon, although I am never sure which Napoleon. And funnily enough, nor are The French. I'm not even sure if they know there was more than one. I certainly didn't, until I got Googling one boring afternoon before Forums.

Off to check the Pansy Seeds, although I've never been good with Flowers. Except Hydrangeas, but any fool can grow those.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:24 am

Am impressed, Sabot. smile
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:33 am

You're impressed, Lily? I am stunned. I felt as though I was chancing my arm mentioning Moon Planting, and was quite prepared to admit that it was bollox. But it seems that it really does work. I might do a bit of experimenting later.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:10 am

Sabot wrote:
lily wrote:There you go, Sabot. Oh, do you have the metronome?

No. But I've got a gardengnome. Will that do if I clean the lichen off?

I missed this earlier. Too funny. rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Quel Horreur. I went shopping for paint for the fireplace today, looking forward to a good browse among many colours. But The Paint Shop burnt down on New Years Eve. This is very boring as I was about to spend some serious money on all sorts of things, some of it Gardening Stuff.

I might now have to paint the fireplace Matt Black as I already have a tin of that, and it's what I was going to do before I got carried away by the possibility of Good Taste. I was sort of hoping it would look like an old cast iron grate, if that makes any sense.

Meanwhile, I feel very sorry for the husband and wife owners of the shop. They have been around for a very long time, catering to renovation mad Brits. And two of their staff speak English, which was very helpful when you don't know The French for what you want. I hope they will be back soon.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 pm

PS. The lady on the check out at Carrefour told me what happened, and no one was hurt. But, oh my, what a mess.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:06 pm

That is so awful for the owners, Sabot, and also for you. Don't just paint it black unless you really want to........

lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Oh Lord, it will be a mess, with so much flammable material, Sabot.

Fingers crossed they will be back in business soon.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:34 pm

lily wrote:That is so awful for the owners, Sabot, and also for you. Don't just paint it black unless you really want to........

I don't know what I want to do now, Lily. I had sort of gone off the Black idea, but the next nearest paint shop is in Pontivy, and I don't go there a lot. Way too much traffic for me.

And yes, it must be awful for the owners and staff. I have known them all for more than twenty years.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next