JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

R I P OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110

3 posters

Go down

R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 Empty R I P OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110

Post  Lamplighter Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:14 am

Oldest Holocaust survivor, Alice Herz-Sommer, dies at 110

R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 _73173536_73173535
Alice Herz-Sommer kept playing Schubert and Beethoven until her final days

The oldest known survivor of the Nazi Holocaust, Alice Herz-Sommer, has died in London at the age of 110.

Born into a Jewish family in Prague in 1903, Ms Herz-Sommer spent two years in a Nazi concentration camp in Terezin.

She was an accomplished pianist and music teacher and taught at the Jerusalem Conservatory until 1986, when she moved to London.

A film about her life has been nominated for best short documentary at next month's Academy Awards.

"We all came to believe that she would just never die," said Frederic Bohbot, producer of the documentary, The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life.

R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 _73173572_73173571
Alice Herz-Sommer and Caroline Stoessinger, who compiled Ms Herz-Sommer's memories in a book 'Music was our food. Through making music we were kept alive,' said Ms Herz-Sommer

Ms Herz-Sommer is said to have continued playing the works of Schubert and Beethoven until her final days.

On the film's website, she says: "I am Jewish, but Beethoven is my religion. I am no longer myself. The body cannot resist as it did in the past.

"I think I am in my last days but it does not really matter because I have had such a beautiful life.

"And life is beautiful, love is beautiful, nature and music are beautiful. Everything we experience is a gift, a present we should cherish and pass on to those we love."

Ms Herz-Sommer recalled "always laughing" during her time in Terezin, where she and other inmates put on occasional concerts.

She said the joy of making music had kept their spirits up.

"These concerts, the people are sitting there, old people, desolate and ill, and they came to the concerts and this music was for them our food. Music was our food. Through making music we were kept alive."
Lowest point

In 1942, her 73-year-old mother had been transported to Terezin, also known as Theresienstadt, and then on to Treblinka, an extermination camp.

"And I went with her of course till the last moment. This was the lowest point of my life. She was sent away. Till now I do not know where she was, till now I do not know when she died, nothing."

Ms Herz-Sommer and her son, Stephan, were among fewer than 20,000 people who were freed when Terezin was liberated by the Soviet army in May 1945.

An estimated 140,000 Jews were sent there and 33,430 died there. About 88,000 were transported on to Auschwitz and other death camps, where most were killed.
'Our inspiration'

Ms Herz-Sommer's husband, Leopold Sommer, whom she had married in 1931, died of typhus at Dachau, a Nazi concentration camp in southern Germany.

Her son, who became a concert cellist, died in 2001.

Ariel Sommer, her grandson, said: "Much has been written about her, but to those of us who knew her best, she was our dear 'Gigi'.

"She loved us, laughed with us, and cherished music with us.

"She was an inspiration and our world will be significantly poorer without her by our side."
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 Empty Re: R I P OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110

Post  bb1 Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:07 am

A great lady.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

R I P   OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110 Empty Re: R I P OLDEST HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR DIES IN LONDON AGED 110

Post  lily Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:07 pm

A very great lady. What an inspiration she was too.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down