JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL

4 posters

Go down

BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL Empty BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL

Post  Lamplighter Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:39 am

http://mauer.visitberlin.de/en/

I was there!!!!  I cannot believe it is 25 years since I saw the Wall come down, stood on the top and joined my friends hacking at it with a screwdriver, saw the joy on the faces of the East Berlin people as they entered West Berlin - many of them having never been 'over the other side'.   It is a moment I will never forget.  Lamplighter

Then:
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL Berlin-5-003-3BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL Berlin_wall_in_front_of_brandenburg_gate_berlin_germany_C17-174493

Now:
BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVKJagN1viBrLmIn-P2hgnF6kL4OeAncQamN0zJFK_SJw9C-LO
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL Empty Re: BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL

Post  Sabot Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:58 am

Amazing that you were there, LL. I can hardly believe it has been 25 years.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL Empty Re: BERLIN 25 YEARS TO THE DAY AFTER THE FALL OF THE WALL

Post  Lamplighter Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:10 am

Sabot wrote:Amazing that you were there, LL.  I can hardly believe it has been 25 years.
I had a phone call on 6 Nov from friends in W Berlin to get my a** on a plane and get over there tout suite. It was incredible, words could never really express what it felt like. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Wow, amazing, LL.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:47 pm

lily wrote:Wow, amazing, LL.
I'm watching it on CNN International - their cover is going on for the whole evening.   I wish i was there ....  What is also interesting is that Kristallnacht, The Night of Broken Glass, when the Nazis torched the synagogues and property of the Jews and killed quite a few as well, took place on 9 November 1938 and carried on into the late hours of 10 November.    LL

Last edited by Lamplighter on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:51 pm

LL, how many can say they were there at the start?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:01 pm

lily wrote:LL, how many can say they were there at the start?
Who knows?   People became aware of things happening elsewhere; the main one being the Austrians and Hungarians dismantling the barbed wire that straddled the border between the two countries so that the East Germans who manged to get to Hungary were able to cross over into Austria as refugees.    The East Germans tried to stop the flood of escapees, but that didn't work as they then went into Czechoslovakia and out that way.  Gorby and the Hungarian PM deliberately looked the other way.    In  fact, Hungarians had been secretly crossing the border to buy necessities in Austria - a packet of American cigarettes and some hard liquor weas enough for the border guards to look the other way.    No wonder Hungary was called 'The happiest gulag in the USSR'!    LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:13 pm

I remember it was the cars crossing that fascinated me, LL, those Trabants with the lawnmower engines spluttering into the West....I believe they're collectors' items now?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:36 pm

bb1 wrote:I remember it was the cars crossing that fascinated me, LL, those Trabants with the lawnmower engines spluttering into the West....I believe they're collectors' items now?
Yes, quite few became collectables, but here the poorer people still have Trabants.  I do not have one, in fact I am too tall to even get into one!   The engines were 2-stroke or 18hp, the body was made of a fiberglass-like Duroplast, reinforced with recycled fibers like cotton and wood. Someone once described it as a 'weedwacker in a plastic box'.   LL

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down