JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Search for justice after China school abuse EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Search for justice after China school abuse EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Search for justice after China school abuse EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Search for justice after China school abuse EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Search for justice after China school abuse EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Search for justice after China school abuse EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Search for justice after China school abuse EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Search for justice after China school abuse EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Search for justice after China school abuse EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Search for justice after China school abuse

2 posters

Go down

Search for justice after China school abuse Empty Search for justice after China school abuse

Post  Lamplighter Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:58 am

It seems that this is endemic in China.    Police and schools know it is happening but do nothing. There is a video, to access please use the link to the actual article as I cannot attach the video.   LL
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-32126839

By Celia Hatton BBC News, Erliban Village, Hebei

The BBC's Celia Hatton, reports on one family's battle to get justice for their abused son

At first glance, Erliban village appears to be covered in rubbish.

But the town, in northern China's Hebei province, is actually devoted to waste recycling. Mountains of glass bottles and scraps of plastic crowd every available space.

Sitting in the middle of it all is a boarding school. Not one for the wealthy but, like many boarding schools in China, a school for the sons and daughters of local farmers and migrant workers. Poor families send their children here, hoping they'll get an education that will elevate them above the grime and dirt pervading this place.

The Zhang family sent their teenage son there after a visit from recruiters.

"We were told the school was one of the best out here. It was supposed to have military-style discipline and good teachers," Mr Zhang explains.

Those were empty promises, they now say.

Last December, a teacher at the school - a man named Li Jian - was sent to prison. For years, he had abused the Zhangs' son and several other teenage boys. We've changed the family's name to protect the boy's identity.

Search for justice after China school abuse _82049310_lijian
Li Jian was jailed for less than three years - and not charged with rape

Li Jian admitted to forcing the students back to his home. There, they were bound and gagged, tortured and raped, a court heard. Li Jian threatened his victims with death if they told anyone what took place in his apartment.

As the abuse stretched on, the boy became extremely depressed.

"He used to cry and refuse to return to school," his mother remembers. "At first, we didn't understand why. My husband became very angry. But now we know. Our son was suffering."

Eventually, the boy became the first to speak up. "The situation was getting worse so I told my parents," he whispers. "But the memories still haunt me."

Li Jian, the teacher, was in charge of discipline at the school. In court, the boys testified that Li would pick on the students who made mistakes during the school's morning exercise drills. Those are the ones he would bring back to his home for "extra instruction".

Li received a prison sentence of two years and 10 months. China has no laws banning male rape over the age of 14. The victims could not prove the sexual abuse started before they were 14, so the court only found Li Jian guilty of detaining his students.

Frustrated with China's piecemeal child abuse laws, the victim's families are appealing for a harsher punishment. They're pushing Li Jian to pay compensation so the boys can receive costly psychological counselling.

They feel other parts of the system, too, failed their sons.   Mr and Mrs Zhang say the family cannot stay in Erliban Village any more

When the Zhangs first went to the police station to report the crime, police there appeared to be familiar with Li Jian, who had worked at other boarding schools in the province before coming to Erliban village.

"When we said the teacher's name, the officer said "Li Jian? That creep is doing it again!" So they knew about this before but didn't do anything to stop him," Mr Zhang fumes.

The police ignored our repeated interview requests.

School officials refused to answer similar allegations from the victims' families and several teachers that the school had also turned a blind eye to the abuse.

It seems that no-one really knows what takes place behind closed doors in China's boarding schools. Thirty million children across mainland China attend schools far away from home, according to Ministry of Education statistics from last year.

Advocates from Save the Children warn there's a "high risk" of abuse at Chinese boarding schools without proper safeguards in place. Children as young as five live far away from their parents, at schools with no teacher background checks and no means to report sexual or physical violence.

Pia MacRae, China country director, Save the Children

"Aside from being awful thing to experience, research highlights the correlation between sexual abuse and many other problems - including mental health, learnings outcomes and the ability to build long term healthy relationships.

We simply do not have the data to know whether the prevalence has increased in China recent years. What we do know is that children away from their parents (either because they are at boarding school or left behind with relatives) are on aggregate more vulnerable.

It is also clear that social media has played a critical role in bringing attention to more extreme cases which has also raised awareness of the issue of sexual abuse more generally. We see an increase in commitment to address this issue from our partners in government and in schools."

The Ministry of Education is working on a national student protection plan.

But future changes are of little consolation to the Zhang family. They're packing what little they own.

"My son can't live here. We have to leave," Mr Zhang explains, choking back tears.

"We came here 20 years ago. We even had a little business, but now we've closed it. Even our house is falling apart," he says, gesturing to cracks in the walls of the family farmhouse.

So, they're moving away to start a new life. Tired of a system that didn't keep their child safe and can't deliver justice now.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Search for justice after China school abuse Empty Re: Search for justice after China school abuse

Post  bb1 Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:35 am

It's clearly a problem, LL, but I do find anyone from the BBC professing outrage about alleged abuse in China deeply hypocritical.

Has she nothing on her own doorstep to emote about?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Search for justice after China school abuse Empty Re: Search for justice after China school abuse

Post  Lamplighter Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:08 pm

bb1 wrote:It's clearly a problem, LL, but I do find anyone from the BBC professing outrage about alleged abuse in China deeply hypocritical.

Has she nothing on her own doorstep to emote about?
I chose the BBC because they actually had a video of the segment from today's news.   It's been highlighted by Save the Children.   Also my daughter in S Korea has mentioned this often to me as this is also the case in N Korea.    As regards the BBC, I know you don't like them, so I make no comment other than that the reporters go where they are sent.   Celia Hatton has lived in Beijing since the early 2000s as BBC correspondent so I think this story is on her doorstep, so to speak. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:21 pm

I simply do not believe a word that comes out of the BBC, LL. They're like Mutton - I KNOW they're a shower of lying toerags from personal experience.

Your daughter and Save the Children are reliable, that goes without saying. smile

BBC aside, the only saving grace of this is that if there is genuine international criticism of China over this, they are likely to round up the offenders and shoot them after a show trial, as a warning to others. Not because China has had a sudden fit of concern for the vulnerable, but because the abusers are making China look bad.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down