FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

BREXIT: UP-TO-DATE NEWS AS IT HAPPENS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BREXIT: UP-TO-DATE NEWS AS IT HAPPENS

Post  Lamplighter on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:15 am

EU Brexit talks to focus 1st on citizens' rights.

EU and British negotiators say the first day of negotiations on Britain's departure from the European Union was productive in outlining the program ahead and setting out the first challenges to settle, especially the rights of citizens living on each other's territory.

Both EU negotiator Michel Barnier and his UK counterpart David Davis said they were heartened by the first day of talks on Monday and insisted the tight deadlines were tough but achievable.

Barnier said there was agreement that the negotiators would first look at citizen's rights, the outstanding bill Britain must pay for previous EU commitments and the Irish border issue. He said once there was sufficient progress on those, the talks would start looking at the EU's new relationship with Britain.

Davis said both sides were "off to a promising start" even though the challenges ahead were daunting.

U.K. negotiator David Davis says that Britain has gone into Brexit negotiations looking for a "positive and constructive tone" to deal with the myriad issues dividing both sides.

Reflecting on Britain's longtime EU membership, Davis says that "there is more that unites us than divides us" despite the June 23, 2016 referendum in which Britain decided to break away from the 27 other member nations.

EU negotiator Michel Barnier said the negotiations which should lead to a breakup by March 2019 "must first tackle the uncertainties caused by Brexit — first for citizens, but also for the beneficiaries of the EU policies and for the impact on borders, in particular Ireland."
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Re: BREXIT: UP-TO-DATE NEWS AS IT HAPPENS

Post  bb1 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07 am

Thanks, LL. Despite all the media noise, I personally think it's far too early to draw conclusions from anything. Also, the real work will be being done behind the scenes.

Few will weep tears for Amaral, seeing an angry man locked up in his own bitter and baseless theories
. -Neil Tweedie, Daily Mail, of the McCanns' tormentor Gonzo.
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:30 pm

You are welcome, bonny. I thought a new thread was called for as here is no real connection between this and the Election thread. hug LL
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Quite, LL - and it's likely to turn into a very long thread. I don't see these negotiations being over quickly....

Few will weep tears for Amaral, seeing an angry man locked up in his own bitter and baseless theories
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:17 am

bb1 wrote:Quite, LL - and it's likely to turn into a very long thread. I don't see these negotiations being over quickly....
Agreed, so perhaps making it a sticky thread is in order? LL
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 am

May offers hope for EU citizens, wins guarded praise.

BRUSSELS (AP) — British Prime Minister Theresa May promised Thursday that EU citizens will not be immediately kicked out of Britain when it leaves the union and says their fate will be a top priority in Brexit negotiations — prompting guarded praise from other EU leaders at a tense time for the continent.

May's proposals at an EU summit were a carefully timed gesture days after talks began on Britain's departure. German Chancellor Angela Merkel called them "a good start." May laid out benchmarks for the rights of 3 million EU citizens living legally in Britain and how they should be shielded from excessive harm because of the divorce. She made it clear that Britain wants reciprocal measures for the 1.5 million British citizens living in the EU. The issue of citizens' rights is especially sensitive in the Brexit talks.

Under May's proposal, EU citizens with legal residence in the UK will not be asked to leave and will be offered a chance to regularize their situation after Brexit, a senior British official said. May also promised to cut the burdensome bureaucracy such paperwork can involve, the official said.

"No one will face a cliff edge," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity since May made the proposal at a closed-door EU summit dinner. Merkel welcomed May's promises, but insisted that "there are, of course, many, many other issues." She mentioned the bill that Britain will have to pay to leave and questions about how to deal with the border between Northern Ireland and EU member Ireland.

"It means we have lots left to do," Merkel said. Austrian Chancellor Christian Kern said May's proposals are "a first step" but warned there are still many European citizens in Britain who would not be covered by the proposals. "We are now at the start of all this and we don't know whether it will be a sprint or a marathon," he said.

The Dutch prime minister, Mark Rutte, said there are "thousands of questions to ask" about May's proposals, and questioned why the British leader was laying them out with EU leaders instead of with the Brexit negotiators.

Britain's departure in 2019 will cause the EU to lose one of its biggest members and a global player, but the other EU nations were already looking at some of the spoils of the divorce. They will decide in November where the EU agencies currently based in Britain will move to on the continent, EU chief Donald Tusk announced.

The bloc's medicines and banking agencies are now in London, and almost every EU nation wants one of the two agencies. On Thursday, the EU leaders agreed on procedures for a fair pick. Discord over whether Britain's exit process could still be reversed surfaced at the summit.

Tusk said when British friends asked him if he could imagine a way for Britain to remain part of the bloc, he told them: "The EU was built on dreams that seemed impossible to achieve. So who knows?" "You may say I am a dreamer but I'm not the only one," Tusk added, quoting a lyric from the late John Lennon's "Imagine."

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel, however, said the will of the British people who voted in a June 2016 referendum to leave the EU had to be respected. "I am not a dreamer. And I am not the only one," Michel said.

Michel insisted Brexit negotiations should proceed without fanciful distractions. "What we also need is certainty, for our companies in Belgium, in Europe," he said. "If we back this image that Brexit perhaps would not happen, it brings an uncertainty."

Merkel also focused on imagining an EU without Britain. "For me, shaping the future of the 27 (remaining) member states has priority over the question of the negotiations with Britain on its exit," Merkel said.

French President Emmanuel Macron pledged at his first EU summit as head of state to breathe new life into a European Union stung by Britain's departure and deeply divided over the best way to accommodate refugees.

He pushed at the summit for joint European defense, a joint budget for countries that use the euro and a tougher stance against the U.S. and China on trade. Macron promised to forge ahead with Germany to make the bloc stronger and more relevant to citizens.

"Europe is not, to my mind, just an idea. It's a project, an ambition," he told reporters. On the opening day of the two-day leader's summit, the EU announced agreements on extending sanctions against Russia and on fighting climate change.

After a string of small-scale terrorist attacks in European capitals this week, the EU leaders also agreed to join efforts seeking to curb online extremism and crack down on Europeans who go abroad to fight jihad. They also agreed to jointly develop or purchase military equipment like drones.
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:48 am

''Europe is not, to my mind, just an idea. It's a project, an ambition," he told reporters

And there is the entire problem, IMO. Macron - recently described by one commentator as 'Napoleon in a shiny suit' - thinks more Europe, more power and perks for his kind is good, while the poor sods at the bottom find it rather evil.

Bankrupting Greece? Bullying the V-4 countries over Merkel's surplus party guests? All part of the project to them!

Ideally, I would like to see the whole EU (which is NOT Europe) taken back to the basics, to being a trading bloc with perks involving work, etc., for the members.

No vast, bullying bureaucracy, no Green nonsense about lightbulbs and vacuum cleaners, no meddling, and most of all no EU armies.

And no more encouraging mass immigration from the Third World - these people are also victims of the EU monster, let us not forget, having been falsely told Europeans just cannot wait for them to turn up and give them Free Stuff. When the reality is that if they do get work, it's little more than slave labour.

Shame on the EU for trying to use these people in some sort of human Ponzi scheme!

bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum