JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk

4 posters

Go down

Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk Empty Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk

Post  bb1 Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:04 pm

http://news.sky.com/home/technology/article/16093536

Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk
6Comments
2:54pm UK, Friday October 21, 2011
Thomas Moore, science correspondent
A paraplegic woman has been fitted with an artificial skeleton that allows her to stand and walk.

Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk 16093689

Amanda Boxtel was paralysed from the hips down in a skiing accident nearly 20 years ago.
But a wearable robot supports her torso and powers her legs.
It's called an 'exo-skeleton' after the hard outer shell of insects that gives their bodies support.
"When I walk in the suit it is very smooth," she told Sky News.
"The step is very natural, the knees bend, the feet have flexion in the ankles. It encases my body so there is very little play in the exo-skeleton as I walk. I feel very secure."

The Ekso robot is operated by an assistant with a remote control, who times the stride with Amanda shifting her balance from leg to leg.
But in time paraplegics will be completely independent, with sensors in the bionic legs monitoring their movement.
Amanda said the suit allows her to reach up high and look people in the eye.
"There is a psychological benefit to standing tall. Not to be in a wheelchair, dwarfed in a sea of bodies," she said.
The manufacturer of the robot - Ekso Bionics - hopes it will initially be used by spinal injury rehabilitation centres.
Eythor Bender, from the company, said: "If you are constantly in a wheelchair there are complications with that.
"This is a tool that for at least part of the day allows you to stand up. But it is also a tool for someone who is incompletely paralysed and is trying to learn to walk again in a natural way. This can speed that process up."
The company has already used a version of the technology to make robotic legs for military use.
The Human Universal Load Carrier (HULC) enables soldiers to carry up to 91kg with little effort over rough ground.
The new Ekso robot could also be developed for other disabilities, and degenerative diseases that impede normal movement, such as arthritis.
Amanda is still getting used to the possibilities of the bionic legs.
"One of my favourite things is dancing. If I could slow-dance chest to chest, heart to heart with someone I love I will be a happy girl," she said.
"But right now I am a lucky lady who gets to walk.

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk Empty Re: Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk

Post  lily Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:11 pm

Amazing! She looks, understandably, so happy. The technology can only get better too.

lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk Empty Re: Bionic Woman: Robot Suit Helps Paraplegic Walk

Post  bb1 Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:18 pm

There is a video of Ms Boxtel using it in central London on the Sky site, Lily. Obviously, it's clunky just now, but - it works.
I can see them being almost taken for granted in the future, giving back free movement to many many people.

ETA, it looks more like something out of a video game, than anything which suggests disability, which is probably another future bonus?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:37 pm

I also watched the video, Bonny. You are right, it does look a bit like it came from a games video. The technology has to start somewhere and I realize there is research being done in other areas, like stem cell, but what promise this has.

The lady is doing something she may have thought would never happen again.

But it is also a tool for someone who is incompletely paralysed and is trying to learn to walk again in a natural way. This can speed that process up."

The above is brilliant too.

I used to be a volunteer in a hospital/hospice where the people were literally at death's door. The one exception was a quadriplegic, so when my regular people were sleeping, I would spend a fair amount of time with him. The everyday problems they face are heartbreaking. We take so many things for granted. Just standing up and walking being a dream to so many people.

This could immediately help with blood circulation and bed sores to name but two benefits.

lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Body organs don't do well when someone is confined to a wheel chair. In fact most paralysed people die of organ failure in the end.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Yes, Sabot. That is another complication.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:59 pm

excellent news for Mrs. Boxtel.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down