JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Leveson Today - Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves"

3 posters

Go down

Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" Empty Leveson Today - Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves"

Post  bb1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:34 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jan/31/leveson-inquiry-grade-hunt-meyer-live

12.13pm: Meyer is asked about coverage of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. Express Newspapers paid out £550,000 damages after the high court found it had published 100 'seriously defamatory' articles about her parents.

He says he made it "perfectly plain" to Gerry McCann that it was either the legal route or the PCC.

In July 2007, Meyer told McCann and his press handler what the options were if they believed they need to "take action" against a newspaper.

12.15pm: Meyer says he met McCann again in February 2008, by which time the couple had made a firm decision to go to law, and had engaged law firm Carter-Ruck for a libel case.

Asked about what had taken place between July 2007 and January 2008, Meyer says:

We did a lot. We were in pretty close contact with the press handlers [Clarence Mitchell] of the McCanns. We stood ready to intervene if they wanted it.

You can't be more royalist than the king. You cannot wish to stop something more ardently than the king. But by that time I think they had chosen to go to the law.

Meyer says he he understood that coverage of the McCanns was "not pleasant".

It was pretty violent … and it was not pleasant to read. I have to say to you – this is so important - we made particular efforts to the McCanns to make ourselves available within 48 hours of Madeleine disappearing.

12.17pm: Meyer says he told Peter Hill, the former editor of the Daily Express, "you have to resign" after the Express Newspapers libel payout to the McCanns.

"I said 'in effect you need to resign'," says Meyer. "He said 'I suppose I have to but I need to consult friends and colleagues.'"

Meyer then said he should resign as soon as possible, adding: "That was the last time I ever talked to him."

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" Empty Re: Leveson Today - Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves"

Post  bb1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:35 pm

12.21pm: Meyer says it is "very unfair" to say that he acted too slowly to condemn the Express's coverage of the McCanns.

The first Meyer heard of the Express Newspapers libel payout was on the radio on the morning it happened, he says.

12.26pm: Meyer says of Peter Hill: "It is inconceivable that he could stay on the commission." He adds that the commission decided Hill should be replaced as soon as possible.

"It took longer for him to be replaced than it should have done," Meyer adds.

Jay suggests the PCC adopted a position of "doing nothing" to protect the McCanns.

Meyer disputes this, saying that the PCC put itself at the McCanns' disposal.
12.28pm: Meyer says it was "screamingly obvious" what had gone wrong in relation to the McCann saga.

The McCanns needed the press for publicity's sake, he says, but it was a "Faustian" pact.

The Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" and journalists were under pressure to produce fresh stories, Meyer says.

"It doesn't need a big review to see this. It happens from time to time," he adds. "It led to the McCanns being accused of something that is utterly abominable."

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Leveson Today -  Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" Empty Re: Leveson Today - Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves"

Post  bb1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 pm

12.31pm: "The PCC made it its business from the very beginning to say, 'we are here to help'," Meyer tells the inquiry. He adds that help was taken up "but only in an ancillary way".

He says that if the McCanns did not want intervention, "You must respect complainants' wishes.

12.32pm: Meyer says in February 2008 he agreed with the McCanns that launching libel actions against newspapers, rather than going to the PCC, was the right course of action.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:42 pm

12.34pm: Jay suggests that if the PCC had taken a more proactive stance with the McCanns, it would not have gone so far in the 2010/11 Christopher Jefferies case. Eight newspapers paid damages to Jefferies for libellous allegations made against him following the murder of Joanna Yeates.

Meyer disagrees, saying "don't drag me down that path".

He adds that he was no longer PCC chairman at the time of the Jefferies case, saying he rejects Jay's attempt to draw parallels between the two cases.

Meyer says that the PCC has had success with media scrums and "stories relating to police sources".

12.40pm: Meyer suggests that the newspaper industry would quickly begin to ignore the PCC if its chairman exhorted papers to act responsibly every time a contentious story broke.

12.41pm: "I hope you'll forgive me if I do from time to time push back, rather than sit here like a coconut," says Meyer, after he bristles again at the questions being put by Jay.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  crazytony Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:46 pm

The Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves" and journalists were under pressure to produce fresh stories, Meyer says.
The only PJ' that could have been leaking like sieves is, the ones close to the case.
And, it wouldn't have been any foot soldier doing the blabbing, no siree, those leaks were coming from the Head Honcho's conclave.

crazytony
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 pm

12.46pm: Meyer is asked about his dealings with the former information commissioner, Richard Thomas.

He says that Thomas "laboured under the misapprehension" that the PCC had power to enforce the criminal law.

The PCC published guidance on the Data Protection Act in 2005, Meyer says.

Thomas told the PCC in December 2003 that "there are going to be journalists caught up in this; there are going to be court cases", according to Meyer.

Meyer says he wanted evidence on who was hiring inquiry agents "and he [Thomas] was unwilling to do that"
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:00 pm

And now he has moved on to other matters:

12.51pm: Meyer said the PCC would have given the ICO evidence "whatever protection it needed", and suggests the commission was hamstrung in what action it could take.

Meyer says he told Thomas at a meeting: "Give me names, give me evidence. Just using inquiry agents isn't good enough."

Thomas was the only person that could provide the PCC with the evidence of illegal use of data by newspapers, says Meyer.

Do you think I would have spent good PCC money on meetings with Mr Thomas at restaurants just to hear him burbling away? No, I wanted beef, Mr Jay, I wanted red meat.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  sans_souci Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:10 pm

'tis little wonder that Leverson is not popular in certain quarters.

It is plain that the papers relied on (and doubtless paid for) lurid leaks in this case.

And most of the antis fell for it hook, line and sinker. And still do.

No wonder they like old newspaper coverage and keep quoting it. This does not bode well for Bennett, or Amaral.

Pcorneater biggrin

sans_souci
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:27 pm

Here's a perfect example, sans:

GILLYSPOT MOM OF TWO
@
@BrenR1958 @RingoStarfish What does "under oath" mean? Kate #McCann told #Leveson there were no "body fluids" in their car. IS UNTRUE!

That forker is still convinced there were 'body fluids' sloshing about the Renault.

Doesn't matter how many times they are told no such thing happened, doesn't matter how many times they are told to go and read the files and see for themselves, they still keep parrotting that.

It is a perfect example of how much damage the press did with the nonsense they printed.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  sans_souci Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:07 pm

True Bonny. I can well remember the lurid details of "the hair" and "bodily fluids".

A reminder from those days: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1562823/Madeleine-Hair-in-car-came-from-her-body.html

sans_souci
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:17 pm

Give them a choice between prosaic truth and lurid lie, they choose the lurid lie every single time - so what does that say about them?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:45 pm

That appalling Telegraph piece is a perfect example, isn't it?

According to police briefings given to Portuguese journalists

And what were the PJ doing briefing Portuguese tabloids? Does that translate as, Gonc was mouthing off in a bar again?

A Portuguese police source said

Did he now? I hope he is looking forward to being named and shamed then.

A source said

Yeah, yeah, we all know that means someone in Team Gonc made up a load of lies, smears, fantasies and general bullsh*t and the UK press couldn't wait to print the trash.

http://thehoundingofthemccans.blogspot.com/2012/01/portuguese-police-despite-their-own.html

The Portuguese police were "leaking like sieves
----------------------------------
It led to the McCanns being accused of something that is utterly abominable."

Are the people responsible for this going to come forward and confess what they did - or are they going to take a chance on their names coming out in court and their disgrace being spread all over the world?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down