JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged)

+3
Lamplighter
lily
bb1
7 posters

Page 2 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 26  Next

Go down

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged)

Post  bb1 Wed May 23, 2012 3:21 pm

This is a bit more like it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18160608

Olympic torch relay heads through Royal Wootton Bassett

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 Wooton

Paralympic hopeful Ben Fox, 16, carried the torch through Royal Wootton Bassett

A teenager with one leg has been cheered wildly as he took his turn at carrying the Olympic torch in Royal Wootton Bassett.
Ben Fox, 16, had to swap hands several times while carrying the torch as it was slipping from his grasp.
The wheelchair basketball player, who has set his sights on the Paralympics, was using a crutch for support.
Later on day five of the Olympic torch relay, footballer Didier Drogba ran with the torch in Swindon.
The striker, who announced on Tuesday he is leaving Chelsea, took the flame as it passed through the town centre.
In Royal Wootton Bassett, where local people formerly turned out to honour the UK's war dead, there was a celebratory mood as the flame passed through.
David Hemery, the Olympics 400m hurdles champion in Mexico in 1968, was first to carry the torch in the town.
But the biggest cheers were reserved for Ben who completed his 300m section unaided.
His mother, Carol Fox, was nervous before his run but said she was "so, so proud" to see him take part.
"This is just a taster for Ben and I'm sure he'll want it even more now," she told the BBC.
People also responded on Twitter with one, Jon Preston, writing: "Just watched 16 year old Ben Fox carrying the Olympic torch, he only has one leg. Superb determination shown by this young man."
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged)

Post  lily Wed May 23, 2012 8:13 pm

Wow. What a guy. (Wild applause from here).
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed May 23, 2012 8:55 pm

I don't see him selling his torch on ebay, somehow...
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun May 27, 2012 4:34 pm

How totally, utterly, bl**dy stupid can the Olympic bosses get?

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/103347-ban-on-flying-saltire-above-hampden-at-olympic-games-is-criticised/

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 68716-flag-the-film-showcases-715-images-with-a-saltire-in-the-centre

Flag: Olympic spokesman said 'common sense' would be applied to fans.

Olympic rules banning the flying of the saltire above Scotland's national stadium during the Games have come under criticism.

The rule could also stop fans waving the national symbol when events are held at Hampden this summer, it has been claimed.

Under Olympic rules, Scottish athletes represent Great Britain, meaning only the Union flag should officially be flown at venues.

Alyn Smith, an SNP member of the European Parliament, has complained to Lord Coe, chairman of the London 2012 organising committee.

Mr Smith said: "It seems incredible that under the current Games rules, Scots will be banned from taking their own national flag into their own national stadium.

"I can only imagine this is an oversight and hope that once I point it out to Lord Coe, he will move quickly to make sure that common sense prevails and that fans who wish to proudly wave the saltire will be free to do so."

The rule hit the headlines during the Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games in 2002. Skier Alain Baxter, from Aviemore, was ordered to cover up a blue and white saltire he had dyed into his hair before competing.

Terms and conditions on tickets for the 2012 Games state there should be no flags of countries that are not participating.

The rule will mean the saltire cannot fly over Hampden, a spokesman for the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games confirmed. "Common sense" would be applied for fans, as long as there was no political statement linked to the flag or emblem, the spokesman said.

Mr Smith said: "The Olympic Games is one of the biggest events in world sport and should be a real festival of global culture and achievement and international companionship.

"It's natural that Scots who will be attending the Games will want to demonstrate their pride through our national flag. Just as many in Wales will wish to attend games in Cardiff while displaying the Welsh flag. They too deserve a fair kick of the ball."

-------------

I am gobsmacked. The football is the only thing that involves Scotland in this beanfeast in any way - and we can't fly our own flag at our national stadium?

What are they going to do with anyone who disobeys? Send them to gulags?

I sometimes swear the bosses in London are determined to drive Scotland out of the Union - that own goal will be another few thousand votes for SNP.

The arrogance is beyond belief - do they actually think Scots are going to wave the Union Jack at HAMPDEN of all places?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun May 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Unbelievable! Mind you, it's almost on a par with people not being allowed to fly flags from their homes, kids being banned from wearing their flag on their t-shirts to school and so on.

Patriotism is almost a filthy word now. mad
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun May 27, 2012 5:53 pm

It's such an insult, Lily. The Saltire at Hampden isn't political, it means This is the home of the Tartan Army, let's have good football and a good time and party afterwards.... It's welcomed all over the world - unlike the Union Jack.

I don't know what they are thinking about.

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun May 27, 2012 5:59 pm

It's staggering, Bonny. It really is.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun May 27, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm flying mine - see below. Nae sassenach tells me I cannae fly ma flag!! LL Comeonthen Comeonthen
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun May 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Good for you LL and Bonny. thumbsup
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun May 27, 2012 6:54 pm

It's stunning, Lily.

You are banned from flying your own flag, the one that means, Party On! It is compulsory to fly the one that means, You will get your head kicked in if you look at us the wrong way.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun May 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Love your new avatar. smile

I think everyone's gone raving mad. You arrive at Heathrow and walk outside to get a hotel bus to be told, "you can't walk there".

I think that a lot of the bullies have had no proper education. They seem unable to reason. Pcorneater
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun May 27, 2012 7:12 pm

I think whoever dreamed up this bread and circuses affair has most definitely gone mad - I am sorry for ordinary people in the London area who are going to subjected to chaos when trying to get to work, threatened if they use road lanes reserved for the Olympic elite, on the receiving end of security that Darth Vadar would be proud of, warships docked in the Thames in case they get unruly, ground to air missiles on apartment blocks.....did the organisers forget, it's supposed to be FUN?

As for runners selling their torches on Ebay - what can you say? I had been thinking of going to see it, but I've decided I can't be bothered, it's a farce.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun May 27, 2012 7:19 pm

I wouldn't bother either, Bonny. It's just one mega money making exercise and nothing else.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun May 27, 2012 7:55 pm

lily wrote:I wouldn't bother either, Bonny. It's just one mega money making exercise and nothing else.
I was working in LA when the 1984 Olympics were held there, and I remember it as a well-run fun time. I am glad to be as far away as possible from the 2012 Games. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun May 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Wow, LL. I wish I had known....... I was there too and it was fun.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 pm

What on earth is wrong with them - one of the Cornish runners had his flag taken off him:

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/MP-seeks-answers-Cornish-flag-taken-Olympic-torch/story-16183781-detail/story.html

MP seeks answers after Cornish flag is taken off Olympic torch runner
Friday, May 25, 2012Western Morning NewsFollow
A Cornish MP has called on the Olympic organisers to apologise after a torch bearer had a flag of St Piran unceremoniously torn from his grasp.

The demand follows criticism from nationalists that Land's End was airbrushed of its Cornish identity prior to the start of the Torch Relay. Andrew Ball unfurled the iconic flag as he approached the Tamar Bridge carrying the torch on the last leg before it left the Duchy on Saturday.

A Metropolitan police officer held a corner of the flag and the pair ran for a few yards before a second bodyguard, apparently after receiving instructions through his earpiece, snatched it away.

Dan Rogerson, MP for North Cornwall, has written to the chairman of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG), Sebastian Coe, and asked for an apology. Mr Rogerson said: "To many in Cornwall, this sends out a signal that English, Welsh or Scottish identity is fine, but that Cornish identity is not to be accepted by the London-based Olympic authorities."

An internet posting to the Cornish website An Helghyer from someone claiming to be Mr Ball said the policeman was "not in the wrong".

In a statement he added that it is important that the Olympic flame is not overshadowed by a political message of any sort and he was simply a victim of zero tolerance on any writing.

LOCOG said the decision was not political, but an attempt to provide a "uniform experience" for all runners.

"The agreement was to participate in the official uniform and we ask they respect that for the 300 metres they carry the flame," a spokesman added.

Maga, the Cornish Language Partnership, and nationalist party Mebyon Kernow jointly condemned the removal of a Cornish translation of Land's End and the Duchy coat of arms from the visitor attraction.

They said removing "Penn an Wlas" was an act of "linguistic cleansing".

David Bryans, general manager at Land’s End, said: “We are very proud of our Cornish heritage and continue to work to promote Cornwall.

“All the attractions and entertainment we provided as part of the Torch Relay event promoted Cornish history, had a Cornish theme and were performed by Cornish people.

“Land’s End is an international tourist attraction and we have a multi-cultural ethos. In keeping with that, we have tried to make the entrance as welcoming as possible to as many people as possible. Feedback from visitors, particularly those from abroad, had indicated that the previous sign was confusing.

“As visitors will see, our welcome in Cornish is still displayed prominently and proudly at the entrance alongside international languages such as German, Spanish and Italian.

“The decision to review the signage was taken as part of our ongoing investment programme which is boosting the local, Cornish economy and had nothing to do with the Torch Relay event.”

That's absolutely shocking. What on earth do the organisers think they are playing at?

Here's the Cornish flag:

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 1580823

I don't think we are living in the People's Republic of Greater London, are we? Mind you, the St George's Cross seems to be banned, too, which is just as bad.

IMO, the Olympic high heid yins are succeeding in alienating just about every section of the British public, between their privileged Zil lanes and their refusal to let people fly their own flags.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun May 27, 2012 8:42 pm

I found a picture of the incident - it is on a Cornish Nationalist site, so it is a bit biased:

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 Cornishflagconfiscated

This is the moment Andrew Ball carrying the Olympic torch had the Cornish flag taken from him just before he reached the Tamar. I'll leave you make up your own minds about the incident and how it reflects on the Anglo-British establishment's relationship with the Cornish identity.

-------------------

What on earth do they think they are doing, trying to stifle people like this?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun May 27, 2012 8:48 pm

So, they take away anything that represents our patriotic identity. Is this what they call equality?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun May 27, 2012 8:58 pm

I just don't know what they think they are achieving, Lily, it's a travesty. It's as if they want to wipe out every single thing that has made up Britain till now, to make people - what? I don't even know. Why are they trying to make everyone the same?

How on earth will that Cornish guy feel, having his flag ripped out of his hands on what should have been a day of pride for Cornwall? It's more votes for Mebyon Kernow - and it may be a small but vocal minority now, but these things have a habit of growing when the public sees incidents like that.

Is anyone outside the Olympic committee bosses actually looking forward to this?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Day 23: Olympic Flame visits Orkneyon journey from Inverness to Stornoway

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 1256972_M01
Olympic Flame visits Orkney on Day 23 of the Torch Relay

The day begins at St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall, the largest town in Orkney, the Flame being carried by Inga Kemp, 22, from Orkney. Inga was nominated for her work in netball and hockey youth development coaching.

Inga will be followed by 19 other inspirational Torchbearers, including Wilma Taylor, 79, from Orkney, who will carry the Flame into a Community Celebration at The Pickaquoy Centre. Wilma was nominated for her being an inspiration to many in Orkney through her teaching of PE and dance.

It's got tae ma hame!! yaydance thumbsup Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:57 pm

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16245753

Olympic Opening Ceremony Details Revealed

The field at the Olympic Stadium in east London will be transformed into rolling British countryside for the opening ceremony of the London 2012 games.
A cast of 10,000 volunteers will recreate country scenes on a stage featuring meadows, rivers, a village green, and landmarks such as Glastonbury Tor.

In Numbers: The Opening Ceremony
:: There will be 15,000 square metres of staging - equivalent to 12 Olympic-sized swimming pools
:: 12,956 props will be used, 100 times more than a West End musical
:: 10,000 adult volunteer performers and 900 children will take part
:: A one million watt sound system will be created with 50 tonnes of sound gear
:: 157 cast rehearsals have taken place so far
:: The event will be watched by an estimated one billion people

The set will be one of the biggest ever created and feature real grass, an oak tree, and synthetic clouds suspended from wires above the stadium - one of which will produce rain.
Real farmyard animals will be grazing on the set, including 30 sheep, 12 horses, three cows, two goats, 10 chickens, 10 ducks, nine geese and three sheepdogs.
Each of Britain's four nations will also be represented by Maypoles topped with the national flower; the rose of England, the thistle of Scotland, the daffodil of Wales and flax from Northern Ireland.
Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle, who is directing the £27m opening event, has praised the thousands of volunteers involved.
He said: "The ceremony is an attempt to capture a picture of ourselves as a nation, where we have come from and where we want to be.

"The best part of telling that story has been working with our 10,000 volunteers.
"I’ve been astounded by the selfless dedication of the volunteers, they are the purest embodiment of the Olympic spirit and represent the best of who we are as a nation."

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 16245793

A detailed model of the set's design has now been revealed

Work is now underway to create the set in time for the opening event on July 27.
Lighting will soon be installed, along with a one million watt sound system.
A team of wardrobe staff are still working to produce 23,000 costumes for the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
Lord Coe, chairman of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (Locog), said the ceremony will make the nation proud.
He added: "With a worldwide TV audience of a billion people and a cast of over 10,000 talented volunteers, I’m sure that Danny’s ceremony will be a fantastic celebration that will welcome the 10,500 athletes from around the world and make our nation proud."

I'm....I'm....I'm lost for words. Really, I am.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:32 pm

What a massive waste of money.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Whoever made the model must have been a fan of Thunderbirds as a child...

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 5A704290E498612A4FB76E6C22D6C

It isn't going to top China's Olympics; it isn't going to top the Jubilee. From the sound of it, it isn't even going to top the Eurovision Song Contest.

And there is something wrong about importing farm animals into a giant stadium in the middle of London and pretending it is the British countryside.

£27 million for the opening? What a collossal waste of money. And what, pray tell, is that heap of junk outside the stadium supposed to represent?

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 Orbit+Tower+London+Olympic+site

It's called the Orbit Tower or something...
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:04 pm

What a ridiculous thing it is. Shocked It looks like an abomination.......IMO Pcorneater
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 Empty DAVID BECKHAM NOT PICKED FOR OLYMPIC GAMES

Post  Lamplighter Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Beckham left out of Olympic squad
David Beckham has been omitted from Britain's Olympic football squad in a blow for the former England captain's dreams of crowning his career in style.

The Olympic And Paralympics Thread (merged) - Page 2 857143-14520688-640-360
David Beckham carries the Olympic torch

The Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder had been widely expected to win selection as one of the three over-age players in Stuart Pearce's Under-23 squad for the London Games in July and August.

"Naturally I am very disappointed, but there will be no bigger supporter of the team than me," Beckham, 37, said in quotes relayed by his spokesman on Thursday.

British media reports said Manchester United's long-serving Welsh winger Ryan Giggs, Wales striker Craig Bellamy and Manchester City right back Micah Richards, who missed out on England's Euro 2012 campaign, had been chosen.

An official explanation for coach Pearce's decision has yet to be issued by the FA.
The FA will hand a final team list to the British Olympic Association (BOA) early next week.

"As with every sport, player selection is the responsibility of the National Governing Body, the coaches and performance personnel," a BOA statement said.

"With respect to men's football, the BOA has not yet received from The FA the list of players who are being nominated for Team GB, so we cannot confirm who is, and is not, under consideration for the side. We are expecting the list no later than the early part of next week."

Beckham, who has played for Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan in a glittering career, was watched by Pearce during a recent match for the Galaxy and was included in his initial 35-man squad.

Beckham told reporters last month: "I don't want to be picked on a shirt sale or a stadium filler. I want to be picked because of what I can bring to the team."
Beckham was England's most capped outfield player with 115 appearances but has not played for the national team since 2009.

The world famous trend-setter now misses the chance to captain an England side at World Cup, European Championship and Olympic level.

LOCOG chairman Sebastian Coe said he would now discuss a "Games time role" with the globally recognised sports figure who played a role in London winning the Olympics.
Beckham has been used extensively in the buildup to the event and helped to bring back the flame from Greece.

"David has been an extraordinary supporter, probably our number one supporter, of the Games from the very beginning and is keen to continue his enthusiastic support right to the end," said Coe.

"He really gets this. He is from East London and knows how important the Games and sport are to young people.

"He is a great role model and we are lucky to have such an advocate. I will be talking to him about a Games time role."

As a result of the decision to leave Beckham out of the Team GB football squad, odds have been slashed for him to light the Olympic cauldron. British bookmakers Ladbrokes quoted odds of 5/1.

Critics, who believe football has an uneasy place in the Games because of the vast sums of money professionals earn, have said they would be uncomfortable with the Olympics becoming a "David Beckham show".

The Olympic tournament, originally designed for amateurs but now the only Games event to have an age limit, is not so highly regarded in Europe where the World Cup and European Championship are seen as the elite tests.

Olympic football is popular among South American players, however.

Hosts Britain, taking part in their first Olympic finals since 1960, will kick off their bid for gold against Senegal at Manchester United's Old Trafford stadium on July 26.

The Welsh Football Association, along with the Scots and Northern Irish, have been concerned that the inclusion of their players in a rare British squad for the Games could affect their independence but football's world governing body FIFA has tried to allay their fears.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 26  Next