JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!!

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! Empty I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!!

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:46 pm

I assume everyone has seen the flooding problems in Europe so, for anyone interested I am able to announce that where I live is miles from the Danube - in fact there isn't a river anywhere near us. However, Budapest isn't so lucky; for those who live in Buda or Obuda then those areas are way up above the river so the chances of being flooded are nil. Pest is a different case, it is almost flat and though there are high flood walls if the Danube does crest then they may not hold. They did hold in 2002 so everyone is crossing their fingers and praying. A far as my place in Vienna is concerned, the building is in a street that joins Mariahilferstraße above the Mariahilferkirche so is well away from the Danube; the conceierge emailed me to say all was well. Many, many years ago the City rerouted the Danube and built the Donau Kanal to help keep the waters away from the main part of the City. Heyho, what fun!! By the way, who nicked the summer? LL rofl rofl
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! Empty Re: I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!!

Post  Sabot Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:21 pm

HA. WE haven't had any rain for three days. And I took my Cardi off today.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! Empty Re: I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!!

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:32 pm

Sabot wrote:
HA. WE haven't had any rain for three days. And I took my Cardi off today.
Oh, lucky you!! But the forecast is looking better. All this damp isn't doing my RA any good. I ache all the time. LL Sad Sad
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 pm

I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! Article-2335665-1A1C8C92000005DC-260_468x286

We haven't had any rain for several days now - it must all be landing on you, LL hug

I did see that your part of the world was starting to resemble a lot of the UK last year....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Not where I am bonny, we are way down south near the Croatian border and as I said no rivers nearby. In fact we are closer to the sea than the Danube, which is a good 3 to 4 hours drive away. We have had quite a lot of rain but nowhere as much ad the flooded areas have had. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:30 pm

You need to come around here LL. So hot.........can't see anything resembling rain. Crying or Very sad
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:41 pm

lily wrote:You need to come around here LL. So hot.........can't see anything resembling rain. Crying or Very sad
Hello my lovely lady, actually today has been very pleasant,about 21C and dry, but thanks for the offer!! Latest is that it's going to crest past Vienna but still going to cause some problems in Budapest! LL rofl rofl
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm

42 C here, LL. sunny
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:04 pm

I went shopping this morning, simply for pleasure. I don't do a lot of that because it is always what I need rather than what I want. But Lidl had cotton, knee length shorts for Euros 6.99. And good quality shorts don't hang around on the shelves of Lidl for too long. Bought three pairs since I will be in shorts now until late Septembre. It's Vitamin D, you see. What I manage to get now will tide me through next Winter.

Oh, I only just got the last three pairs in my size, which is still 12, but only just.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:05 pm

lily wrote:42 C here, LL. sunny
I'll pass on visiting you, sweetie,I can just about manage 28C before I start to feel sick. LL hug
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:24 pm

LL, I would pass on visiting me too. Next month and August will be too hot even for the locals. Shocked
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:36 pm

lily wrote:LL, I would pass on visiting me too. Next month and August will be too hot even for the locals. Shocked

Nothing is ever too hot for me. There are always ways of coping, like sitting in a bath of cold water. I never have recovered from leaving The Tropics.
Perhaps I was lucky because I arrived there pregnant, so getting rid of the bump was a rejuvination, but even pregnant it didn't bother me all that much.
I used to speed walk around Singapore. The heat was my glory.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:44 pm

My dad's ancestors came from way up in North Norway so I have an easier time when it is cool than hot. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Sabot wrote:
lily wrote:LL, I would pass on visiting me too. Next month and August will be too hot even for the locals. Shocked

Nothing is ever too hot for me. There are always ways of coping, like sitting in a bath of cold water. I never have recovered from leaving The Tropics.
Perhaps I was lucky because I arrived there pregnant, so getting rid of the bump was a rejuvination, but even pregnant it didn't bother me all that much.

Then come here dear Sabot. hug
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 pm

We are having heat, it reached about 68-70f here today. And long may it continue, I thought it was NEVER going to stop raining....

The Rain God must have decided it was central Europe's turn, LL. hug
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:46 pm

lily wrote:
Sabot wrote:

Then come here dear Sabot. hug

I wish I could, Lily.

We have just had a terrific thunder storm.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:16 pm

hug hug
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:26 pm

And another thunder storm. And more rain. Ever more rain.

One day I might drive across half of the world to see people like you that I want to see, Lily. Although America might be a bit difficult Alaska being the nearest land mass from Europe.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:50 am

I MAY NEED WEBBED FEET IF THIS GOES ON!! 600885_483352741745262_1884171369_n
This is Parliament in Budapest, recently renovated, and that is the Duna/Donau/Danube slowly creeping up on it. LL

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:28 pm

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 am

Latest:

Hungary defences hold as Danube flood nears Budapest
AFP
June 9, 2013, 5:14 pm

BUDAPEST (AFP) - Hungary's flood defences held firm Sunday morning as central Europe's worst floods in a decade moved through the northwest of the country toward the capital Budapest.

So far, however, Hungary has avoided the chaos seen elsewhere in central Europe. No casualties or serious injuries have been reported yet although authorities say around 1,000 people have been evacuated from towns and villages along the river.

So far, around six million sandbags have been used in barriers.

The swollen river is forecast to peak at 8.95 metres (29 feet) in Budapest late Sunday. By morning the water level had already climbed to 8.83 metres, exceeding the previous historic high of 8.60 recorded in 2006.

Authorities in the capital said Sunday that the flood barriers now in place are high enough to protect even the most threatened parts of the city.

"The flood peak is approaching the heart of the country. Two very important days are ahead of us, as the capital is the most densely populated part of the country," Prime Minister Viktor Orban said early Sunday.

Speaking in the town of Esztergom (65 kilometres, 40 miles north of Budapest) where he spent the night, he said the water level there had not increased for hours and that "the city is safe".

The bridge linking Slovakia and Hungary at Esztergom was closed to traffic early Saturday.

Efforts will now focus on the defence of towns and villages between Esztergom and Budapest, he added.

Authorities were forced to bring food and water supplies by boat to three villages cut off due to closed roads -- Pilismarot, Domos and Kisoroszi.

Emergency personnel and volunteers worked non-stop through Saturday and overnight to prop up barriers and dykes as previous record water levels were toppled throughout northwest Hungary.

By Sunday morning, however, water levels in several locations in northwest Hungary began to fall.

In Budapest water has covered roads running along the river since Wednesday, one metro station has been closed, while a special radio station, Flood FM, began broadcasting latest flood news on Saturday.

Heavy rainfall Saturday afternoon hampered workers' efforts to bolster the city's flood barriers and also caused drains to overflow into several streets downtown, forcing authorities to pump the water into the river.

Mayor Istvan Tarlos said Saturday that the most endangered parts of the city -- Margaret island in the centre and the Romai residential area north of the city -- will be safe unless the water climbs to 9.30 metres, nearly a half metre above the forecast peak. "It is now certain that the water level will not exceed nine metres in Budapest," he said.

Last night on CNN they were showing the town of Szentendre (St Andrew) which has now become an island as the river flows on both sides of the town. It is a lovely place, old and picturesque when not under water!! LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:56 am

Wow. That's a lot of water.......hope everyone is okay.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:08 am

lily wrote:Wow. That's a lot of water.......hope everyone is okay.
Budapst has one big advantage, it is actually 3 cities, Buda and Obuda are on the hill, Pest is in the valley. The Parliament Building is in Pest as are the financial and shopping areas and they are the areas most threatened by the flooding. Buda and Obuda are tourist attractions as there are Roman remains, a castle, and lots of lovely houses etc up there. A couple of hotels, like the Gellert could be in trouble, also the thermal baths which are at the foot of the Gellert Hill. Here's a link which shows some rather nice pics of Budapest.

http://www.earth-photography.com/Countries/Hungary/Budapest_photos.html
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Beautiful. Thank you LL.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:29 pm

lily wrote:Beautiful. Thank you LL.
You're welcome, Lily. Despite the ravages of 2 world wars and the 1956 Uprising, Budapest has managed to hang on to many of its beautiful buildings. Friends who visited there a couple of years ago were taken with how it was, in many ways, like stepping back into the past. Yes, there are many new buildings etc but the people do seem to have tried to hang onto the old Budapest; it is still considered as one of the jewels of Europe. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next