JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Peter O' Toole dies at 81 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Peter O' Toole dies at 81 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Peter O' Toole dies at 81 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Peter O' Toole dies at 81 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Peter O' Toole dies at 81 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Peter O' Toole dies at 81 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Peter O' Toole dies at 81 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Peter O' Toole dies at 81 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Peter O' Toole dies at 81 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Peter O' Toole dies at 81

2 posters

Go down

Peter O' Toole dies at 81 Empty Peter O' Toole dies at 81

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:35 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1182739/actor-peter-otoole-dies-aged-81

Actor Peter O'Toole, who shot to fame in the Oscar-winning epic Lawrence of Arabia, has died, aged 81.

The acclaimed leading man, who received an honorary Academy Award in 2003 for his body of work, died yesterday at the Wellington hospital in London after a long illness, his agent Steve Kenis said.

"He was one of a kind in the very best sense and a giant in his field," Mr Kenis said.

The Irish born actor enjoyed a long stage and film career and was nominated for an Oscar eight times. He did not win but received a special Oscar from his peers for his contribution to film.

He was best known for his 1962 role in the epic David Lean film Lawrence Of Arabia.

The Irish president Michael D Higgins paid tribute, saying: "I have heard with great sadness of the passing of Peter O'Toole this weekend. Ireland, and the world, has lost one of the giants of film and theatre.

"In a long list of leading roles on stage and in film, Peter brought an extraordinary standard to bear as an actor."

Mr Higgins added: "I was privileged to know him as a friend since 1969. I spent part of 1979 in Clifden where we met almost daily and all of us who knew him in the West will miss his warm humour and generous friendship.

"He was unsurpassed for the grace he brought to every performance on and off the stage."

O'Toole, known as a hard-drinking hellraiser in his younger days, announced his retirement from acting in July 2012, saying: "It is time for me to chuck in the sponge. To retire from films and stage.

"The heart for it has gone out of me. It won't come back."

He said his career had brought him "public support, emotional fulfilment and material comfort".

He said: "It has brought me together with fine people, good companions with whom I've shared the inevitable lot of all actors - flops and hits."

But he added: "It's my belief that one should decide for oneself when it is time to end one's stay."

Early in his career, O'Toole began to make a name for himself on stage in several key Shakespearean roles, including an acclaimed Hamlet, before gaining fame in films such as Goodbye, Mr Chips, The Ruling Class, The Stunt Man and My Favourite Year.

His last Oscar nomination was for Best Actor in the 2006 movie Venus. He won an honorary Oscar in 2003 for his numerous memorable roles.

However, he did win four Golden Globes, a Bafta and an Emmy.

O'Toole was married to the actress Sian Phillips for 20 years until 1979. They had two children Kate and Patricia. He later had a son, Lorcan, by Karen Brown.

More follows...

One of the greats - he will be missed.

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Peter O' Toole dies at 81 Empty Re: Peter O' Toole dies at 81

Post  lily Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Was just reading that, Bonny. Was lucky enough to have watched him at work and met him some time ago.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down