JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls Empty Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls

Post  bb1 Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:12 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17399027

Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls

Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls _59163369_colourofrichardlookingatcamera

There are growing demands for action over internet "trolling". Here BBC presenter Richard Bacon reveals what it's like to deal with a torrent of personal abuse.

You are reading an article online, casting your eye over an essay about a presenter's experiences with internet trolls. It's a fairly straightforward essay. But as you may have noticed, in the cyber world, you don't have to work too hard for things to get a little bit more unpleasant.

I would like you to take part in an experiment. Go to any news website that allows readers to post their own thoughts. Choose the most innocuous celebrity story you can find, and read people's comments beneath.

On the day I wrote this, I nipped onto one such website. The first showbiz story I came across was headlined "Sophie, Countess of Wessex, dishes up a feather hat for a day out with the Queen". The two had been photographed attending a celebratory event at Westminster Abbey. Must be quite hard to get angry about a little piece like that, right?

Wrong.

Third reader comment I came across: "Just get rid of this disgusting family now." Another poster reviewed the Queen's outfit from that same photo: "She looks like an evil pink gremlin." And there were masses of negative comments about Kate Middleton - who wasn't even there.

There is something about the alchemy of a keyboard and a public platform that taps into a side of human nature that you rarely, if ever, encounter in real-life conversation.

I don't know the people who made these comments, but I suspect that if any had been at Westminster Abbey that day and Sophie Wessex had wandered over to shake hands, the chit-chat would not have been about her "disgusting" family. I'll go so far as to hazard a guess that it would have been something to the effect of "nice hat, ma'am".

But this sort of negativity, while curious, is entry-level stuff. I've spent three months immersed in the world of cyberbullying and internet "trolling". Recently there has been a massive explosion of it.

Broadcaster Richard Bacon and psychologist Dr Emma Short discuss the typical profile of a cyber-troll
Partly, my journey was personal. Two years ago I came across a charming website which went by the name of "Richard Bacon is a [expletive]".

It's run by this fella who hates me and hates my show on BBC Radio 5 live. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. It's an opinion. As a broadcaster, it's part of the game.

But apart from a running commentary on what he disliked about each day's programme, he would fantasise about my death, daydream about me dying in a plane crash and express his hope that my body would be mangled in a car wreck.

He also took to Twitter under a similarly abusive name.

As the months wore on, he became utterly obsessed. He started posting links full of abuse to my wife, mother and work colleagues. My newborn son even garnered a few mentions.

But this was simply my introduction to the cowardly new world of anonymous internet abuse.

As I delved deeper, it turned out that the level of vitriol I was receiving was mild by comparison with what hundreds, probably thousands, of people around the UK are subjected to daily. Hourly.

Imagine you're the parent of a child who has died in tragic circumstances and you're reading a tribute site dedicated to their memory. Underneath the comments from friends and acquaintances, you stumble upon graphic, violent and sexual abuse from people writing under pretend names. People who their deceased child never even knew.

Reading about these awful stories - and actual abuse - was the moment I began seriously wondering what kind of people would do this, and why. I also wanted to know where the law and the big social networking companies stood when it came to the issue of mocking dead children.

This, I think, is a really important question. Where does freedom of expression cross over into harassment? And what can you do about it?

I've met victims, psychologists, police, devastated families and ultimately come face-to-face with two people who I believe are internet trolls. I also discover that about 50% of victims of anonymous internet abuse know - or knew - their tormentors.

It's even more complex and darker than I ever imagined. Getting straightforward answers to simple questions from internet trolls is all but impossible.

And I started to ponder an even bigger question, one that ties together the violent abuse I look at in this programme and the unnatural level of strident opinions you see posted on almost every internet forum.

Does the net exaggerate our views, or are these views that people really hold? Either way, perhaps we can comfort ourselves with the idea that they are a tiny but vocal minority.

Or maybe this is what we are really like. Perhaps our day-to-day social interactions are the artifice, and these forums expose a dreadful truth about human nature. Could it be that deep, deep down, we just aren't very nice?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls Empty Re: Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls

Post  greenink211 Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:27 pm

And the online abusive, vicious, obscene thug called Mike Hardy (@spudgun01) on twitter was so clever about doing his "research" about me and SO SURE that there was no research being done on the issue.

Read this article, consider EVERYTHING that is written in it and weep Mr. Hardy you horrid little person.

LOL LOL LOL

He has shown himself up to be a complete and utter FOOL.

Still I have the last laugh and know that this vile person WILL be exposed in full when those involved want that to happen. He has NO control over that at all. And he won't be the only online thug treated to full exposure.

The issue of online abuse is coming nicely to a head. Other newspapers are also very interested in the issue as it will do them no harm at all to see the vipers of social media exposed in this way.

greenink211
greenink211
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls Empty Re: Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls

Post  bb1 Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 pm

I don't think he is the only one in for a few nasty shocks, Greenink.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  crazytony Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 pm

bb1 wrote:I don't think he is the only one in for a few nasty shocks, Greenink.
No, I don't think so either, Bonny

crazytony
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 pm

The writing has been on the wall for a while, IMO, they just didn't bother to read it.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  crazytony Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:44 pm

bb1 wrote:The writing has been on the wall for a while, IMO, they just didn't bother to read it.
They wanted the attention. Now they have it.

crazytony
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2117243/Liam-Stacey-posted-racially-offensive-Twitter-remark-Fabrice-Muamba-collapsed.html#ixzz1pbUvxVv6

Pictured: Student 'troll' who posted 'racially offensive' tweet about Muamba just hours after player suffered heart attack
Liam Stacey is told he could be sent to prison for his comments on social networking site
Swansea University student pleaded guilty to a racially-aggravated public order offence to incite violence
21-year-old's initial message on Twitter was posted just moments after Muamba had collapsed
His tweets were reported by a number of Twitter users - including former England and Liverpool striker Stan Collymore
Biology undergraduate admitted to police he had sent the tweets after getting drunk watching Wales v France in the Six Nations rugby match

Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls Article-0-123CB9A9000005DC-192_306x653

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2117243/Liam-Stacey-posted-racially-offensive-Twitter-remark-Fabrice-Muamba-collapsed.html#ixzz1peHs8Ugv
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:48 am

There is far, far worse on #mccann - let's hope the authorities finally take action against the hater trolls who use it to abuse and threaten the McCann family, and others.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:00 am

The issue of online abuse is coming nicely to a head. Other newspapers are also very interested in the issue as it will do them no harm at all to see the vipers of social media exposed in this way.

I am sure the Mail will take a particular interest, now that they have cottoned on to the fact that a handful of haters and forkers have been using software to skew their online comments every time there is a story about Madeleine and her parents in their publications.

The Mail will no doubt have the ips and isps of the culprits, so here's hoping we can look forward to an expose of the McCann-haters along the lines of:

Who are the real animals?

UPDATED: 07:54, 2 July 2010
Comments (446)

The animal rights fanatics who waged a hate campaign against the fox attack family can be revealed today by the Daily Mail (and, oh yes, they're almost all on benefits). PAUL BRACCHI investigates

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1291353/The-animal-rights-fanatics-benefits-left-fox-attack-family-needing-police-protection.html#ixzz1peZcdo6V

Interestingly, there was a fair bit of abuse hurled at the Koupparis family on the hate sites; no-one would be greatly surprised to find the likes of this lovely:

Richard Bacon: My battle with the trolls Article-1291353-0A347BDD000005DC-57_634x510

Lisa Gwyther is another animal rights extremist behind the vile internet abuse and wrote how she believed the attack was a trick

on the hate sites; even the bile is very familiar, quote:

Here is a flavour of its disgraceful content: 'F****** obvious ploy to bring back fox hunting.'
Or 'Stupid woman should be more responsible' [Mrs Koupparis had left the French patio doors open because of the heat].
Or 'I must admit that I thought " yeah right" when I heard the explanation. She did it with a f****** potato peeler and a hammer'.
Most ludicrously of all, one contributor suggests 'Mrs Koupparis dressed up as a fox' to injure her daughters.
Hiding behind internet pseudonyms, the culprits assumed they would never be exposed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1291353/The-animal-rights-fanatics-benefits-left-fox-attack-family-needing-police-protection.html#ixzz1peacLB7H
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:07 pm

It seems that an example is going to have to be made of the worst culprits, but by The Police and The Criminal Courts because Libel is far too lengthy, and anyway, most of them haven't actually got anything worth distraining against, so apart from anything else, not even The Court Costs would be paid.
There are several Laws already in place under which the worst offenders could be prosecuted, and this would be a warning to others, none of whom are going to be demanding their Rights.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Rothley Pillowcase โ€ @RothleyPillow Reply Retweet Favorite ยท Open
@JohnnyWatergate W**kergate, I need not seek f**k all coz u have brought it to me! So f**k off and GET A F**KING JOB u #mccann cult pervert

That one is bound to be on the list - it's one of the leading lights in the anti-McCann hate campaign.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  crazytony Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:01 pm

bb1 wrote:Rothley Pillowcase โ€ @RothleyPillow Reply Retweet Favorite ยท Open
@JohnnyWatergate W**kergate, I need not seek f**k all coz u have brought it to me! So f**k off and GET A F**KING JOB u #mccann cult pervert

That one is bound to be on the list - it's one of the leading lights in the anti-McCann hate campaign.
Don't be silly Bonny, don't you know the haters can walk on water, or so they think.

crazytony
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:45 pm

They are in for a very rude awakening then, aren't they?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Jean-Pierre.t50 Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:23 pm

They do all seem to be of a "type"

- underemployed, bitter, jealous (especially of those of their own "class" who have had teh temerity to better themselves), but at the same time eye wateringly self satisfied - "If my child was xxxxxxxx I would never behave like that...."

Jean-Pierre.t50
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  greenink211 Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Jean-Pierre.t50 wrote:They do all seem to be of a "type"

- underemployed, bitter, jealous (especially of those of their own "class" who have had teh temerity to better themselves), but at the same time eye wateringly self satisfied - "If my child was xxxxxxxx I would never behave like that...."

Another trait, if what they post about themselves can be taken as fact, which was revealed on that MM thread where Karen showed her true colours, is mental instability and/or a tendency to depression.

That is not me commenting on their behaviour which I wouldn't dream of doing as I have no expertise in that area. But it is just what at least four posters on that one thread claimed about themselves.
greenink211
greenink211
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  crazytony Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 pm

greenink211 wrote:And the online abusive, vicious, obscene thug called Mike Hardy (@spudgun01) on twitter was so clever about doing his "research" about me and SO SURE that there was no research being done on the issue.

Read this article, consider EVERYTHING that is written in it and weep Mr. Hardy you horrid little person.

LOL LOL LOL

He has shown himself up to be a complete and utter FOOL.

Still I have the last laugh and know that this vile person WILL be exposed in full when those involved want that to happen. He has NO control over that at all. And he won't be the only online thug treated to full exposure.

His Ape post on my blog got a lot of attention today. Quite a few people downloaded it.

crazytony
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Well, they have all been demanding attention; they cannot really complain if they now get it. Their blindness to reality has been astounding to observe, though.

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  crazytony Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 pm

bb1 wrote:Well, they have all been demanding attention; they cannot really complain if they now get it. Their blindness to reality has been astounding to observe, though.

As you say Bonny, they have demanded people read what they have to say.
So, who am I to deny them?

Last edited by crazytony on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

crazytony
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:48 pm

greenink211 wrote:
Jean-Pierre.t50 wrote:They do all seem to be of a "type"

Another trait, if what they post about themselves can be taken as fact, which was revealed on that MM thread where Karen showed her true colours, is mental instability and/or a tendency to depression.

That is not me commenting on their behaviour which I wouldn't dream of doing as I have no expertise in that area. But it is just what at least four posters on that one thread claimed about themselves.

Well spotted, yes, they do seem to prone to clinical depression, from what they themselves say.

That hadn't struck me before; what has often been commented on before is how many of them are apparently drunk, or under the influence of some substance or other, when they are online.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 pm

Tony, it mystifies me why they thought they had carte blanche to be obnoxious to the McCann family - indeed, anyone in any way associated with the McCanns - day in, day out, without let or hindrance.

Who can forget the BBC having to shut down Aled Jones' website because of the abuse from the hater trolls, after he committed the, to them, unforgivable sin of having Kate McCann on his show?

Do they actually not see themselves as the rest of the world does - as a bunch of foul-mouthed bullies, shouting down rational and reasonable people?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  greenink211 Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 pm

I think some of them think they are the future of communication. LOL

greenink211
greenink211
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Given that they tend to 'communicate' in grunts, threats and foul language, I would have thought they are more akin to the faraway past than the future....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:00 pm

And just to prove the point...

deborah butler ‏ @IWILLNOTGOAWAY Reply Retweet Favorite ยท Open
@SafariSara lol , roflma ha bloxdy ha u spamming frigging tw*t of #mccann

Rolling Eyes
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:35 pm

Further confirmation that some sections of the human race have moved backwards, not forwards....

Posted by: emilyb3. on March 20, 2012 11:24 PM
what a toss pot u are wabi

i frequently post po rn on here, pepper in your pathetic little gob scrote wabi xxx have to dash though sorry about that LOSER

desperados desperados fu ll stop and yawn

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Posted by: emilyb3. on March 20, 2012 11:27 PM

or puke in your avatar fern thats preferable eeeewwwwwww

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:49 am

It's something to do with their conception of Free Speach and their inability to articulate in most cases. I expect that they feel down trodden and brow beaten by what they consider to be the upper classes, and this is their chance to put the boot in. It doesn't seem to have occurred to them that The McCanns have got what they have worked jolly hard for.
And of course, they aren't very bright so they don't understand the finer points of the English Language, or The Law. Ultimately, they can't win, but a few of them are going to come unstuck trying.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next