JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls

+2
Sabot
Rose
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls Empty Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls

Post  Rose Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:09 am

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16245551

Video on Sky News

Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls 12310

Websites will be legally obliged to provide victims with the identity of people who post abusive and defamatory online messages about them under plans by the Government.

Major reforms of the libel laws will also see internet service providers (ISPs) given greater protection from being sued if they help to identify so-called trolls.

Would-be claimants will have to show they have suffered serious harm to their reputations, or are likely to do so, before they can take a defamation case forward.

It comes after a mother who was targeted by online trolls won backing from the High Court to have her tormentors' identities disclosed.

Nicola Brookes, 45, faced "vicious and depraved" abuse on Facebook after she posted a comment supporting former X Factor contestant Frankie Cocozza when he left the show last year.

The Defamation Bill will be debated in the House of Commons later today.

Sky News political correspondent Glen Oglaza said the reforms have widespread support across the parties, so the Bill should make its progress through Parliament pretty quickly.

"What they're saying is, enough is enough of this cyber-bullying and abuse that's going on, on websites like Twitter and Facebook," he said.

"It's a difficult position because although in theory Facebook and Twitter are the publishers in a way that books and newspapers, and for that matter television companies are, they don't have the same amount of control over what appears and therefore, it's more difficult to prosecute them and sue them for libel because in some ways, they're not responsible."

However, Scott Freeman, who set up the charity Cybersmile when his daughter became a victim of trolls, said the reforms do not go far enough.

"It needs to be a criminal offence, there needs to be legislation covering cyber-bullying. It's no good with civil lawsuits," he told Sky News.

"It needs to be addressed. It's one in three children now throughout the UK, and it's affecting adults. It's terrible and civil lawsuits are not enough. They're unrealistic."

Justice Secretary Ken Clarke said the Government wants a libel regime for the internet that makes it possible for people to protect their reputations but also ensures that information online cannot be easily censored.

"As the law stands, individuals can be the subject of scurrilous rumour and allegation on the web with little meaningful remedy against the person responsible," he said.

"Website operators are in principle liable as publishers for everything that appears on their sites, even though the content is often determined by users.

"But most operators are not in a position to know whether the material posted is defamatory or not and very often - faced with a complaint - they will immediately remove material.

"Our proposed approach will mean that website operators have a defence against libel as long as they comply with a procedure to help identify the authors of allegedly defamatory material."

He added: "It will be very important to ensure that these measures do not inadvertently expose genuine whistleblowers, and we are committed to getting the detail right to minimise this risk."

Frank Zimmerman narrowly escaped jail when a judge suspended a 26-week prison sentence for two years after he sent a threatening email to Conservative MP Louise Mensch.

The 60-year-old posed as a member of online hacking group Anonymous and sent the mother-of-three an email telling her she would have to choose which one of her children would die.

In another case, 21-year-old student Liam Stacey, from Pontypridd in South Wales, was jailed for 56 days for mocking Bolton footballer Fabrice Muamba on Twitter after he collapsed with a heart attack.

The Bill will also replace the common law defences of justification and fair comment with new statutory defences of truth and honest opinion.

The so-called Reynolds defence of responsible journalism published in the public interest also gets statutory recognition, as responsible publication on a matter of public interest.

Rose
Rose
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls Empty Re: Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls

Post  Sabot Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 am

I could see the point of granting Legal Aid in these Cases, rather than offering it to the likes of Bennett who is the perpetrator in this instance. That just makes a mockery of The Law. Free Legal Defence to defame whoever you like. If Bennett gets away with this and receives Legal Aid it will open a flood gate to the likes of Laffin Thug.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls Empty Re: Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:06 am

Sabot, I think society has had enough of them. It is very telling that the abuse these victims have been receiving is almost identical to the abuse hurled at the McCanns, and at anyone who dares support them.

IMO, there is a section of society which really should be quarantined away from normal, decent people.

Far from using the internet as it was intended, they've turned it into a Devil's playground, with the likes of them victimising and terrorising anyone they point their grubby fingers at.

Look at the hatefest going on over Lindy Chamberlain today. They don't care that they are abusing an innocent woman who lost her child, and was wrongly jailed - THEY ARE ENJOYING THEMSELVES.

A few hundred years ago, they would have been shrieking, BURN THE WITCH.

A few decades ago, they would have been at the head of crazed, bloodthirsty mobs in the Deep South, enjoying themselves lynching innocent black men and women.

These bottomfeeders have always been around, and they've dragged the internet down to their level.

It's about time their sick games were stopped by normal, decent society.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 am

For five long and often stressful years we have been watching this, Bonny. And for the last three years at least, we have somewhat successfully been fighting back. We have been supporting Kate and Gerry McCann, providing information to Carter Ruck and The Police, and we have been putting the truth out there. So Web Sites like this deserve some credit for what is happening now.
Yes, I expect that we have wound up some of them, but they would have come to their excesses all by themselves eventually, as has been proven in unrelated Cases.
But we can't fight them all, although I have put my oar in on The Mail today where they are having another Hate Fest about Casey Anthony. I am not interested in what she actually did because no one proved anything. She was Acquitted, and that should be the end of it.
And so was Lindy Chamberlaine Acquitted, but even now that The Coroner has ruled that Azaria was taken by a Dingo, they are still at it. How can they not see that a large Wild Dog can take a baby, especially as it is known to have happened before. But most of this evidence comes from Aborigines, and who the hell are they? Only the people most likely to know. But their evidence was considered to be worthless, and not even heard.
My sister lost two very large Geese to a fox, and foxes aren't nearly as large as dingos.

Anyway, carry on fighting. We are making a difference. Although I have to say that I have sometimes wondered.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:48 am

It's isn't the McCanns - it's them, Sabot. They do it over, and over, and over, again. They ENJOY it.

That is why I have such contempt for them - the only difference between them and witchburning bigots and lynch mobs is that they are doing it on the internet. But they'd do it in real life if they thought they could get away with it.

Notice how it is almost always women they target, just like the witchburning bigots? Very telling is that.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:00 pm

bb1 wrote:It's isn't the McCanns - it's them, Sabot. They do it over, and over, and over, again. They ENJOY it.

That is why I have such contempt for them - the only difference between them and witchburning bigots and lynch mobs is that they are doing it on the internet. But they'd do it in real life if they thought they could get away with it.

Notice how it is almost always women they target, just like the witchburning bigots? Very telling is that.

Here's another one from The Tazzy Marsupial. Nasty little two faced liar.

And Yes, they do mostly attack women, and they would do it in public if they thought they could get away with it. Bennett tried that with his leaflets, but it was always a Mob Handed effort. None of them would dare to try it alone.

Re: dingo is in the clear over baby azaria
Justiceforallkids Today at 9:56

i have to give credit to lindy she just said on natinal tv that she doesnt want to sue anyone or the nt goverment she said she just wanted the people who were there that night not be called liars i have never really thought she did it i admit sometimes i have wondered but itsa hard thing to now what to think she also said tonight that the police put the clothes back folded

Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:04 pm

I've just looked, Sabot - she's done a complete volte-face since she started that thread with such ghoulish excitement:

Justiceforallkids Today
a couple didnt kidnap her there was blood all over the babys clothes i believe a dingo did it

Really, what's the point of her?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 pm

I wonder if Zoe-Midas-Pillock troll is looking forward to starring in the Sun? She has got to be pretty near the top of the troll list, given her incessant hatespamming under her various names.

And she is rather high-profile, courtesy of Bennett revealing her as his 'spy' in Cheshire.

ETA:

http://thehoundingofthemccans.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/websites-will-be-forced-to-identify.html
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:28 pm

bb1 wrote:I've just looked, Sabot - she's done a complete volte-face since she started that thread with such ghoulish excitement:

Justiceforallkids Today
a couple didnt kidnap her there was blood all over the babys clothes i believe a dingo did it

Really, what's the point of her?

You beat me to it on that one, Bonny. Thank you, and goodnight, Carly. Carly has spoken, so you can all go home now, her being the epitamy of Australian Opinion, oft changed. One can only thank God that she won't ever qualify for Jury Service, although I expect she would be in there like a Ferret up a trouser leg, given half a chance.
She obviously values some opinions more than others, especially as AnnaEsse doesn't seem to be Pitch Forking this particular Thread.

And she bloody well did say that Lindy Chamberlaine killed her baby, which made The McCanns as bad as her. Until I pointed out that Lindy Chamberlaine was not a good example of The McCann's guilt, since she had been wrongfully convicted on public opinion and a botched investigation.

Sorry, I do try to drop my obsession with this awful specimen of humanity, but it is mortal hard.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:34 pm

LOOKAMEEE!!!! isn't worth your blood pressure, Sabot, she changes her views according to who she is trying to keep in with.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:35 pm

bb1 wrote:I wonder if Zoe-Midas-Pillock troll is looking forward to starring in the Sun? She has got to be pretty near the top of the troll list, given her incessant hatespamming under her various names.

And she is rather high-profile, courtesy of Bennett revealing her as his 'spy' in Cheshire.

ETA:

http://thehoundingofthemccans.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/websites-will-be-forced-to-identify.html

So, it's going to be okay if it's just some poor woman who can't prove that her reputation has suffered? Not good enough. These are the sort of people that Bennett often picks on.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:40 pm

I know, they always pick on people they percieve as weak, don't they?

Of course, the owners of Twitter and fb could always try cleaning up their sites, as that is where almost all the trouble is coming from.....

Market forces may deal with fb; twitter really has to clean up its act and lay down a few rules about its use.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:42 pm

bb1 wrote:LOOKAMEEE!!!! isn't worth your blood pressure, Sabot, she changes her views according to who she is trying to keep in with.

I know she does, Bonny. She has always done this. But she is quite vicious on occasions, while hiding behind her disabilities, what ever they might be. I've never managed to work that one out. Just exactly what does she suffer from? Apart from a spiteful desire to hurt people that she doesn't even know.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:26 pm

I saw this remark elsewhere - not, I stress, on a McCann-related site:

Anyone who professes to be offended, has the inalienable right to ignore it. Nothing more.

Typical Free Speach bully. That one thinks it has the right to say anything it wants about people, and they should just ignore it. All very nice, but the bots don't ignore it, and whatever filth some Free Speach troll has posted about their victim stays on the internet for their family, friends, employers, etc., to find.

The filth and hatred spewed onto the internet has as much to do with genuine free speech as storing Kalashnikovs at home has to do with the right to bear arms in case the Redcoats or Indians attack.

Ignore LOOKAMEE!!, Sabot, she is doing it on purpose to get a reaction out of you. She has no idea how lucky she is that no-one has ever 'reacted' to her by slapping a lawsuit on her for some of her internet antics. She's not worth the hassle, though.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:44 pm

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  crazytony Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:47 pm

bb1 wrote:http://thehoundingofthemccans.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/so-rumors-are-true-thendodgy-is-going.html

That right, Tony? Zoe-Midas-Pillock can't be far behind. Pcorneater
So a whopping big bird tells me smile

crazytony
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Looking forward to. Pcorneater
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  crazytony Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:53 pm

bb1 wrote:Looking forward to. Pcorneater
And, if Zoe J is the Rothly Pillow, well, HoHum Twisted Evil

crazytony
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Pillock and a few others, Tony. She's fallen a long way since she burst onto the scene as 'Midas' the day of the Rothley Stalking.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:37 pm

crazytony wrote:
bb1 wrote:http://thehoundingofthemccans.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/so-rumors-are-true-thendodgy-is-going.html

That right, Tony? Zoe-Midas-Pillock can't be far behind. Pcorneater
So a whopping big bird tells me smile

Well, using the good doctor's name in that despicable way was repugnant. I hope they get the cretin good.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:59 pm

I marvel at David Payne's self control. He almost certainly doesn't want to detract from the search for Madeleine, which is why he has done nothing about the vile things that have been said about him. He is an honourable man.

He was never in a position to do anything about that ghastly waffle submitted by Katerina Gaspar because it was a privileged statement, but he undoubtedly could have done something about Amaral and various media and social networks.
I admire him enormously.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:01 pm

He has a lot of something the forkers know nothing about in their lives. It's called class. Pcorneater
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Rose Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:02 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jun/12/what-is-an-internet-troll?CMP=twt_gu

What is an internet troll?

Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls Trolls10

Victims of anonymous trolls on Twitter and other social media may soon have the power to discover their tormentors' identities, thanks to a new law. But what's the difference between a troll and somebody who just has very bad manners?

I'm sitting waiting for the House of Commons to start debating a Law Against Trolls or, as they would call it, an amendment to the Defamation Act. It would basically let internet providers off the hook for the publication of their content, so long as they signed up to divulge the identity of any of their users. To warrant such a disclosure, the injured party would have to show that their reputation had been significantly damaged; then they would be given the offender's identity, and would be free to pursue a civil case. Online abuse still won't be a criminal offence, even if the bill is passed. It has wide support in parliament, so is not intended to be a very heated debate: I want to watch it to see how many MPs actually know what a troll is.

The term is widely misused: Frank Zimmerman, who received a suspended sentence for asking Louise Mensch which of her children she wished to remain alive, is not a troll, he is a hater (the death threats take him beyond the realm of ordinary hater into criminal hater; but that's his category nonetheless). You can hear haters described in song by Isabel Fay, but they're not the same as trolls, even while many people (Fay included) use the terms interchangeably (I'm not being a hater when I say that, by the way; I'm being a pedant). Trolls aren't necessarily any more pleasant than haters, but their agenda is different – they don't just want to insult a particular person, they want to start a fight – hopefully one that has a broader application, and brings in more people than just the object of their original trolling. The term derives from a fishing technique – say your stupid thing, watch the world bite.

Now, the effects of this can be devastating, especially for people who are being attacked precisely because they admitted to a vulnerability in the first place. Olivia Penpraze, from Melbourne, Australia, started blogging about her depression in 2010. Over a period of time, amid many messages of support, some trolls told her that she ought to kill herself because she was so ugly she was better off dead. She took her own life two months ago, at the age of 19. Last year, in Worcester, 15-year-old Natasha MacBryde killed herself under similar pressures. Following MacBryde's death, Sean Duffy posted a message opining that she wasn't bullied, she was just a whore, for which he received an 18-week prison sentence and was banned from using social networking sites for five years. This is the dead centre of troll territory; what they're looking for is that sharp intake of breath; the collective, "How can you say that?" outrage. Richard Wiseman, a professor of psychology at the University of Hertfordshire, who also makes cool videos for the web, has had his share of haters, and greets that with equanimity. He thinks it is the consequence of this type of communication ("You remove a social barrier on the internet, and suddenly people feel a bit more freed up to say things"), and also a consequence of the fact that you move in broader circles online than you ever would in life. But while hating bounces off him, trolling does not: "There were a couple of comments that came in that were horribly racist. You do shudder. You think: really, you felt the need to write that?"

Racist trolling probably has the highest profile cases – most recently, Liam Stacey was jailed for 56 days after tweeting offensive messages including, "LOL" and, "Muamba, he's dead, hahahaha," when the footballer Fabrice Muamba collapsed on the pitch during a match in April. It's generally very unusual for trolling to result in custody – and race is generally at the crux of it when it does. There is an astonishing seam of trolling that concerns violence against women (I was particularly struck recently by the person who said they wanted to feck Josie Long in the eyes) but such abuse is generally without consequence.

Of course it's possible to troll at a much less violent level, simply by stalking through internet communities where people might be expected to think in a particular way, and saying things that will wind them up. If you would like to try this sort of trolling to see what the appeal is, I suggest you go on to the Comment is Free section of the Guardian's website and post something like, "People shouldn't have kids if they can't afford to pay for them. End of." Or: "men like skinny women, which is why you won't be able to find me a banker with a fat wife. WILL YOU?" Or: "Men like sex. Women like cuddles. GET OVER IT." Or: "Nobody even knows what's in a greenhouse gas. How can I take 'climate change' seriously when nobody knows anything about it?" Amusingly, I am getting quite wound up by these remarks, even though it was me who made them.

Wiseman explains this as straightforward pranking. "That's a control thing, isn't it? It's baiting. Other people think you're being genuine, and actually all you're doing is trying to get a reaction out of them. Borat is that gag, written big. 'I'm going to pretend to be one thing, in order to get you to respond in a particular way.' It just happens that previously we often saw it played out with liberal values, and often now it's played out with very illiberal values."

I think there is something more nefarious than a prank going on, however – since these remarks often do either skew or hold up or derail the conversation, I divine anti-intellectualism, a complete rejection of and/or fear of the idea that people whose views are in the same mould might do something really fruitful with a discussion. They might work on their differences to make an argument that is more robust or far-reaching. Sticking your oar in and distracting everybody by dragging them back to first principles is a good way to ensure that nothing constructive ever happens.

Hence the mantra, "Do not feed the trolls." But that's destructive as well, because it makes you look afraid, which empowers trolls, or there's a chance that you might have mistaken a troll for someone who has a good point but bad manners.

Trolls often, when you talk to them, turn out to be quite nice. One minute it's all "when will you WAKE UP to the fact that your STINKING LIBERAL MANURE has DESTROYED THIS COUNTRY" and the next thing you know, you'll get a message saying, "Sorry I was testy, I just got stuck in traffic on my way back from the garden centre." It's all about humanisation, which is the big conundrum facing this amendment – people behave badly online because they feel liberated, and they feel liberated because it's virtual. Our standards of courtesy are bound to our corporeal selves; freed from one we're freed from the other. Calling trolls "trolls" probably doesn't help. We should call them rude people.

Rose
Rose
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:49 am

I agree with the title of this topic.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Rose Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:11 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2158120/Freedom-speech-mean-freedom-abuse-As-victim-I-welcome-plans-unmask-cowardly-internet-trolls.html#ixzz1xepDoOHW

Freedom of speech should never mean freedom to abuse. As a victim, I welcome plans to unmask cowardly internet trolls

By Dominique Jackson

I am not a particular fan of fragrant MP Louise Daphne Mensch, née Bagshawe. The ubiquitous, former chick lit author is a little brash for my tastes while her highly selective candour (confessing to drugs and drunken dancing yet remaining coy on cosmetic surgery), is simply having her cake and eating it.

However, I did sympathise when she became the victim of a persistent internet troll, who sent her a rash of highly offensive, expletive-ridden, ranting messages, including one which threatened the lives of her children. I have had my own fair share of malicious trolling and I am well acquainted with the mental anguish this particularly specious strand of unjust and unwarranted bullying can occasion.

Yet not even a brazen, publicity-seeking politician like Ms Mensch deserves the kind of treatment meted out to her by 60-year old Frank Zimmerman who this week was given a suspended jail sentence and placed under a restraining order by a judge considering Zimmerman’s persistent targeting of public figures including Lord Sugar, General Sir Michael Jackson and CIA Director David Petraeus.

Images of a long grey-haired, dishevelled and straggly-bearded Zimmerman in the press this week conformed closely to our stereotype of the internet troll: a cowardly loner, spending hours hunched over the keyboard, spitting out minatory venom from the relative safety of a cranky pseudonym and a potentially anonymous IP address.

Yet trolls come in all shapes and sizes and many are not necessarily anonymous. The extraordinarily rapid rise of social media over the last few years and the concomitant ease with which a formerly powerless audience can now communicate their approval, and, of course, their displeasure, has seen an exponential rise in this kind of trolling behaviour and general abuse, with cases of online defamation doubling year on year.

That is why we should give a cautious welcome to Justice Secretary Ken Clarke’s new proposals to oblige internet service providers to unmask the online bullies who are using their websites to post defamatory messages so that innocent victims do not need to resort to costly legal action to restore and protect their reputations. Freedom of speech should never mean freedom to abuse.

Armies of psychiatrists are no doubt still working away on an explanation as to why so many people feel strangely empowered to write things in e-mails or on online comment forums and bulletin boards which they would never dream of saying out loud or even writing in a letter to the Editor. Relative anonymity can provide a potent brew of Dutch courage for the timid, the cowardly, the vengeful or the frustrated.

Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls Articl10
Progress: Justice Secretary Ken Clarke wants to strip away the cloak of anonymity which shields website users who peddle lies, and end 'libel tourism'

Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls Articl11
Negative: The sharp popularity in social media has exposed a new medium for abuse and bullying

Yet haven’t we all experienced that “push send and be damned” moment? When the message, written more in anger than in sorrow, or perhaps even after one too many glasses of wine, flies merrily off into cyberspace and we give barely a second thought to its potential consequences. It almost makes you long for the days of pen and ink when the brisk walk to the post box might be enough to make you see sense.

But this particular genie escaped from the bottle many moons ago and our once sound and reliable libel and defamation laws are struggling to keep up with the proliferation of internet platforms offering and encouraging viewers to upload their own content and importuning the once silent audience to get online and participate.

Even the most august BBC programmes such as Question Time and Newsnight relentlessly push the Twitter hashtags which allow those watching at home to contribute to the debate with an instant opinion, as long as it doesn’t exceed 140 characters and includes #BBCQT or #BBCNewsnight.

It is this relentless hunger for the instant gratification of a response, combined with the now astonishing speed of the cyber jungle drums provided by social networks such as Facebook and Twitter which mean that one sole unchecked comment can, and frequently does, migrate to mainstream media almost immediately. Thus, within minutes, one catty comment or a cheap and casual libel can cause irreparable damage to the reputation, health and bank balance of the unfortunate subject.

When I am writing in this forum, I am lucky enough to receive comments. Any decent journalist welcomes this opportunity to find out what readers really think and most of my commenters do not mince their words. How excellent. It is a debate page, after all.

Yet the community guidelines are explicit and clear: we welcome your opinions but please do not go over the top. No posts which are defamatory, false or misleading; insulting, threatening or abusive; obscene or of a sexual nature; offensive, racist, sexist, homophobic or discriminatory against any religions.

Sadly, I don’t enjoy similar protection on Facebook or notably on Twitter where I have been subjected to an extraordinary amount of gratuitous, occasionally obscene and even threatening abuse.

Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls Articl12
Cautious welcome: Freedom of speech should never mean freedom to abuse

Yes, it can sting but as my mother used to say: Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. A civil approach and some measured interaction with the troll usually takes the wind out of their sails. The abuse usually says far far more about the trolls themselves than it does about me or anything I have written.

Being a victim myself has helped me to understand the behaviour of many of the trolls I have personally encountered. It does not however go any way towards excusing this behaviour. Exercise your internet-enabled instant right to reply by all means but if you have nothing constructive to say, then why bother to say it?

The vast majority of internet forums are friendly, helpful, fun, informative and supportive places where millions of people find answers to problems, engage in fascinating debate and rekindle or forge new friendships on a daily basis. If you don't want to play by these reasonable rules, then you run the risk of being cast out from the community whose forum you are exploiting.

Ken Clarke has insisted that the main aims of the Defamation Bill are to end libel tourism and to protect free speech. He has also promised safeguards to ensure that genuine whistle blowers who have legitimate causes for complaint are not inadvertently exposed.

Let us hope that these new measures succeed in bringing the internet libel regime up to date, allowing innocent victims to protect their reputations and sending a clear signal to the online bullies that they will be identified and held to account. However, we must also make sure any crackdown does not lead to unnecessary and draconian censorship of valuable online information.

The cowardly trolls cowering in their caves, composing their ugly and grotesque calumnies, have been allowed to get away scot free for far too long. It is high time they were forced to take responsibility for their actions.

Rose
Rose
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next