JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid

3 posters

Go down

Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid Empty Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid

Post  bb1 Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:19 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/997547/felix-baumgartner-launches-space-jump-bid

Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid

Skydiver Felix Baumgartner is embarking on his daredevil attempt to jump from the edge of space.

A daredevil skydiver has launched his record-breaking attempt to jump from the edge of space.

Felix Baumgartner, 43, plans to leap from a balloon at an altitude of 120,000ft (36,576m) and reach speeds of hundreds of miles an hour, breaking the sound barrier.

The Austrian hopes to be in freefall for five-and-a-half minutes above the New Mexico desert.

If he succeeds he will become the first person to reach supersonic speeds without the protection of an aircraft.

A previous attempt had to be abandoned because of windy weather.

Baumgartner entered the small space capsule that will carry him to his jump height at around 1430GMT.

Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid Felix-begins-prebreathing-1-522x293

Felix Baumgartner does "pre-breathing" exercises ahead of launch

After another brief delay due to wind, the go-ahead was given to inflate the balloon that will propel Baumgartner into the stratosphere.

The current freefall record is held by Colonel Joe Kittinger, who jumped at an altitude of 102,800ft (31,333m) in 1960.

From mission control, Mr Kittinger, told Baumgartner: "We are going to get your goal and your dream accomplished Felix."

The capsule soared into the sky just after 1630GMT, embarking on a journey that will take around three hours before Baumgartner attempts his historic jump.

The delicate balloon is made of a plastic film just 1/10th the thickness of a sandwich bag.

It holds 850,000 cubic metres of helium gas and will dramatically expand as the balloon rises towards the stratosphere.

Baumgartner will be carried aloft in the capsule into a near-vacuum where there is hardly any oxygen.

He is wearing a specially-designed suit that is pressurised and heavily insulated to protect him against the extreme conditions at high altitude.

He will breath pure oxygen throughout the flight. The moments immediately after he jumps will be critical.

Scientists will monitor the effects of his descent on his body. They hope to develop life-saving technology that could be used by high-altitude pilots, astronauts and space tourists.

During a test jump earlier this year, from an altitude of 97,145ft (29,610m), Mr Baumgartner reached 537mph, the speed of a commercial jetliner.

Shocked
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid Empty Re: Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid

Post  lily Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Shocked Shocked
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid Empty Re: Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid

Post  lily Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:09 pm

He is at 729 mph and decelerating after going over that. Eek Eek
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:10 pm

lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid _63460154_baumgartnerapredbullstratos

OMG.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:17 pm

He's landed! yaydance yaydance yaydance
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:18 pm

bb1 wrote:Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid _63460154_baumgartnerapredbullstratos

OMG.

Oh yes..... Eek
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Oh, thank goodness he's down, I couldn't look....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Bonny, it was quite amazing wasn't it?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:24 pm

bb1 wrote:Oh, thank goodness he's down, I couldn't look....
Yep, and he an Austrian .... Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid Animated%20austria%20flag
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Nice one for Austria, LL. thumbsup
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:15 pm

First pics here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2217412/Felix-Baumgartner-Supersonic-skydiver-drops-earth-nearly-128-000-feet-Earth.html

Stepping out....

Felix Baumgartner Launches Space Jump Bid Article-2217412-1580EABB000005DC-405_964x384

I really couldn't watch it, between the height and not wanting to see something ghastly happen to him. Hide
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:47 am

I watched it. I think my heart rate was up a little but couldn't imagine what his was?

His family looked so anxious, obviously. When he landed it was amazing.

The curvature of earth from above must be a humbling and spectacular sight. Then you jump! Eek
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:19 pm

As millions watched in horror on the internet, freefall experts immediately recognised the danger that Baumgartner was in as he began to spin laterally, his head and feet rotating around his centre.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2217915/Felix-Baumgartner-headcam-video-It-like-Hell-terrifying.html#ixzz29Mj2Rox0
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That's why I didn't watch it. Apart from the height, I didn't want to see anything horrid happening, live.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:37 pm

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:12 pm

I loved it. Thanks, Bonny. What a jump.

Read this! Eek

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/skydiver-lands-astonishing-24-mile-leap-195457715.html

Daredevil skydiver Felix Baumgartner has told of the moments of terror he underwent during his record-breaking jump from the edge of space on Sunday.

"There was a period of time where I really thought, 'I am in trouble'," the 43-year-old said after he successfully leapt into the stratosphere from a balloon hovering near the edge of space 24 miles above Earth, breaking three world records including the highest skydive ever.

"I was fighting all the way down to regain control because I wanted to break the speed of sound," he added, explaining that he almost hit a panic button to release a 'drogue' parachute to slow him down.

"And then I hit it," he smiled, clearly hugely relieved. "After a couple of seconds, I had that feeling I'm getting it under control. And I did. And that's why I broke the speed of sound."

Cheers broke out as Baumgartner jumped from a skateboard sized shelf outside the 11-by-8-foot fibreglass and acrylic capsule that was carried as high as 128,000 feet by an enormous balloon.

"We love you Felix!" screamed the crowd as he plunged through the stratosphere.
But the crowd knew nothing of the skydiver's problems. At one point a horizontal spin began that could have made him black out, or over-stressed the protective suit which, if torn, would have made his blood vaporise almost instantaneously.

"That spin became so violent it was hard to know how to get out of it," the new record-holder said.

"But I was able to get it under control and break the speed of sound."

After recovering from the spin no more problems arose, allowing the nerveless Austrian to enjoy the exhilaration of an incredible experience.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down