JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Pope to resign EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Pope to resign EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Pope to resign EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Pope to resign EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Pope to resign EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Pope to resign EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Pope to resign EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Pope to resign EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Pope to resign EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Pope to resign

+3
Pedro Silva
Lamplighter
bb1
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Pope to resign Empty Pope to resign

Post  bb1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 am

http://news.sky.com/story/1050513/pope-benedict-resigns-vatican-confirms

Pope Benedict Resigns, Vatican Confirms

Pope Benedict XVI is to resign on February 28, the Vatican has announced.

More follows...

-----------

I didn't know popes COULD resign. confused

Last edited by bb1 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Pope to resign Empty Re: Pope to resign

Post  bb1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 am

Seems they can in certain circumstances:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_resignation
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 am

bb1 wrote:http://news.sky.com/story/1050513/pope-benedict-resigns-vatican-confirms

Pope Benedict Resigns, Vatican Confirms

Pope Benedict XVI is to resign on February 28, the Vatican has announced.

More follows...

-----------

I didn't know popes COULD resign. confused
It's doesn't happen very often but yes, they can step down. Means all the cardinals will have to lock themselves away and choose anew one. This is probably cos he is not a well man and also maybe he doesn't want to look as bad as John Paul II did before he died, almost comatose. The Vatican will be holding a Press Conference today. LL

The Vatican Radio website has the full text of the pope's statement today. Here it is in full:

Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonisations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.

I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me.

For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.

From the Vatican, 10 February 2013
BENEDICTUS PP XVI

The last pope to resign was Pope Gregory XII in 1415.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:27 am

What a strange year this is shaping up to be!

First a Royal funeral without anyone dying, and now a new pope without anyone dying.

I think we are going to have to have a competition for the stupidest post on the subject by a forker, they're off already with remarks like...

Mavis ~~~ ‏@mavisMacCruet
@Katycakes1 @w_nicht so the pope is to resign--- wonder if he is now free to talk about certain things now !!??? #mccann
--------

Ang ‏@angelajdean
So the Pope is retiring!!!! Why is that? Maybe he is having second thoughts about #McCann

Have you ever seen such stupid, obsessive people? rofl rofl rofl
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 am

Maybe we should have a thread and post up all their stupid remarks! Just joking .... LL Hahau Hahau
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 am

Many more gems like those and I think it might provide excellent entertainment, LL...
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:55 am

Their comments just show how totally ignorant they are in every respect! The Pope is a priest, he does NOT go on TV or social media and slag people off; he does NOT violate the laws of the confessional and he certainly is NOT, even if he were to know anything about Kate and Gerry, which I doubt, going to 'open up' to the idiots who are tweeting such silliness. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 pm

LL, a great many of them are Icke devotees and don't think the pope is actually human...

Pope to resign Lizard-pope
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree
ShuBob Today
With the Pope resigning, the story of Gerry's speech may not get any news coverage

Not that they're obsessed or anything. rofl
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Last edited by Pedro Silva on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:49 pm

I´m not speculating, because I don´t know the motives, but, I wonder if the paedophile scandal in church could be one of the reasons for this sudden decision.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:50 pm

ShuBob / antis: you stink.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Pedro Silva wrote:I´m not speculating, because I don´t know the motives, but, I wonder if the paedophile scandal in church could be one of the reasons for this sudden decision.
Pedro, it seems he has been thinking this over very carefully in the past few months; he is not a well man, his brother said that he had been warned not to go on any long distance/transatlantic flights - a thrombosis warning maybe? It may well be that, having seen John Paul II deteriorate so much before he died, Benedict would rather go now while he is still in full command of himself. I cannot see the paedo scandal driving him to such a decision. A religious reporter said that he has sounded very tired and looked frail at the frequent briefings he gives to the press. LL

Last edited by Lamplighter on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:06 pm

I don't see it, either - that particular scandal has been rumbling on for a very long time. And modern popes are positive puritans in comparison to past pontiffs.

My own opinion is that he is being realistic, and knows he simply cannot be a 21st century pope any longer, due to failing health.

It's not like the old days, when popes could spent their entire time in office in the Vatican, apart from ceremonial appearances on the balcony.

They are expected to travel the world nowadays, and take a diplomatic and political role.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Thank you Lamplighter, that explains his motives.

I agree with you bb1.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Eek!

Pope to resign Article-2276884-17841A9A000005DC-22_634x815

A sign from God? Lighting strikes the basilica of St.Peter's dome earlier this evening during a storm that struck Rome on the same day Pope Benedict XVI announced his resignation

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276884/Pope-Benedict-XVI-resigns-First-Pontiff-600-years-stand-longer-strength-carry-on.html#ixzz2Kda8oLK6
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Pope to resign 120213-papers-daily-telegraph-2-329x437
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:49 am

about the lightning, coincidence, but, of course,

that newspapers are now speculating, just to sell newspapers.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:29 pm

My friends, this was taken from Correio da Manhã newspaper:

http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/detalhe/noticias/nacional/sociedade/novo-papa-deve-ser-um-homem-mais-novo

Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon reacts

New pope should be "a younger man"

Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon José Policarpo, argued on Tuesday that the future pope should be "a younger man" regardless of their nationality.

"We should elect a younger man. (...) It is normal for this conclave choose a younger person," said the Portuguese Cardinal, at a press conference in Olivais Seminar in Lisbon.

Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon understands that right now the important thing for the future of the Catholic Church is "to identify the person with ability to lead the Church," saying that the criterion of nationality is not the most relevant.

About the possibility that the choice of the Cardinals bring on himself, José Policarpo said it was "unlikely".
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:42 pm

I am not a Catholic, but would agree with the Cardinal, Pedro. Popes travel the world nowadays, they aren't just in the Vatican from the day of their election.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:07 pm

I wish everyone well.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 pm

The difference between John Paul II and Benedict:
As a boy, John Paul II wanted to be an actor. He enrolled at Cracow's Jagiellonian University in 1938, and studied drama there until the Nazis occupied Poland and closed classes in 1939. He later joined Rhapsodic Theatre, an underground theatre group secretly performing nationalistic works, and studied in a clandestine seminary.
At the age of five, Benedict was in a group of children who welcomed the visiting Cardinal Archbishop of Munich with flowers. Struck by the cardinal's distinctive garb, he later announced the very same day that he wanted to be a cardinal.
John Paul's ability to relate and communicate to the faithful and others probably came from his original wish. In front of a crowd, he became an actor. Benedict, on the other hand, became an academic and a fine theologian; most of the time he would therefore have been 'inside' with his fellow academics and pupils. He was also apparently shy and diffident whereas JPII was outgoing. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:28 pm

That actually helps understand his resignation, LL. Jean Paul II was a different kind of Pope, and may have found it - not easier, exactly, but more tolerable to continue in the limelight when his body was failing?

I always feel that J-PII provided the definitive answer to Stalin's scornful, How many legions has the Pope? The tide of history proved it was far more than Stalin....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Yes bb1, I also agree with the Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:40 pm

I once saw Benedict when he was Archbishop of Munich and was struck by how small he is, but also you felt such power coming from him. And when he smiles his whole face lit up. I never really liked JPII, I did like the Smiling Pope, JP1, who died so soon after becoming pope. And here come the conspiriloons - LL
The Vatican today denied rumors that Pope Benedict XVI has bone cancer and that recent surgery to replace the battery in his pacemaker contributed to his decision to resign from office.

Benedict underwent the heart procedure three months ago, Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi said today, adding that he believes the pacemaker was fitted on Benedict before he was elected pope nearly eight years ago, while he was a cardinal.

"[It was] not a serious operation, just normal routine. [The surgery] had nothing to do with his decision," Lombardi said.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next