JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL

2 posters

Go down

GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  Empty GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL

Post  bb1 Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Many thanks to Pedro for this story:

http://www.algarveresident.com/0-43098/algarve/garry-mann-is-released

Garry Mann is released
Updated: 19-Aug-2011

By DAISY SAMPSON daisy.sampson@theresidentgroup.com

Former fire fighter Gary Mann, the British citizen who was sentenced to two years in prison for his involvement in a riot in Albufeira during the 2004 football championships, has been released from custody.

After spending a year in prison in Portugal and then several months in jail in the UK, the father of six from Kent has finally been released.

Garry Mann said: “I am glad to be home with my family. It was a tough experience to be so far away from home but I’m hoping to finally get on with my life now.”

His release from prison sees the end of a legal battle waged by Garry Mann, his lawyers and the human rights organisation Fair Trials International, a battle which has been ongoing for seven years.

Garry Mann was arrested by police in Albufeira on June 15, 2004 and was then tried and convicted within 48 hours for his involvement in a riot.

It is claimed by Fair Trials International that Garry only had five minutes with his lawyer before the trial and did not know what he had been charged with until he had been convicted.

Following the conviction, Garry Mann consented to deportation from Portugal back to the UK and it was only on October 6, 2008 that British police arrested Garry Mann under a European Arrest Warrant issued by Portugal which stated that he was to serve a two year prison sentence in Portugal for his crimes four years earlier.

In an earlier interview with the Algarve Resident, Garry Mann spoke of how he felt he had been used as a scapegoat in the case: “I was made an example of to bring an abrupt end to any more violence. I believe that the English and Portuguese authorities conspired against me making me a scapegoat.”

Central to the entire case was the use of the European Arrest Warrant, a fast track system for surrendering people from one European country to another to face trial or prison sentence.

Fair Trials International believe the warrant has “removed many of the traditional safeguards in the extradition process,” adding that the association has “serious concerns about Europe’s fast track system for extradition and defence rights across the EU”.

Jago Russell, the Chief Executive of Fair Trials International, said: “The European Arrest Warrant has turned this family’s life upside down. Sadly, until it is reformed and we have better standards of justice in Europe others will suffer the same fate. We are delighted that Garry is finally able to return home but he should never have been extradited to Portugal following a trial which can only be described as a travesty of justice.”
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL  Empty Re: GARY MANN RELEASED FROM JAIL

Post  Pedro Silva Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:17 pm

You welcome bb1.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums