JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police

2 posters

Go down

Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police Empty Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police

Post  bb1 Thu May 15, 2014 12:05 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1262090/turkey-mine-tragedy-protesters-battle-police

Turkey Mine Tragedy Protesters Battle Police
Turkish police use water cannon against demonstrators in Istanbul as the funerals begin for nearly 300 miners killed in Soma.

Police in Turkey have used water cannon against protesters amid growing fury over the mining disaster which killed at least 282 workers.

Violence flared on the streets of Istanbul as grief turned to anger in the wake of the underground explosion at the mine in Soma, some 155 miles (250km) south of the city.

The number of those killed is expected to rise as families lose hope of finding alive any of the estimated 150 miners still feared trapped, with the last survivor brought out more than 24 hours ago.

Emergency workers have been fighting fire and toxic fumes in their frantic search at the scene.

Row upon row of graves have been dug to bury those killed in Turkey's worst ever mining disaster.

In the meantime, security was tightened at the site for a visit of the country's President Abdullah Gul, with officials anxious to avoid a repeat of the anger which greeted Turkey's Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday, when his car was mobbed by protesters.

Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police Rtr3p8x8-1-522x293

A protester is kicked by an adviser to Turkey's PM during trouble in Soma

Pictures have emerged of that visit, showing Yusuf Yerkel, an adviser to the PM, kicking a demonstrator as he is held on the ground by police officers.

Miners are holding a strike in protest at the disaster in the face of mounting anger over poor industry safety standards.

The major accident has become a focal point of wider dissent against the ruling administration, which has been in power for 11 years, with violent clashes in Istanbul and the capital Ankara.

The government said 787 people were inside the coal mine at the time of the explosion, and 363 have been rescued including many who were injured.

But some families have cast doubt on the official figures.

Those still trapped are thought to be some 1.2 miles (2km) below the surface and 2.5 miles (4km) from the mine entrance.

As thousands of anxious relatives waited for news of Turkey's worst mining disaster, Mr Erdogan was accused of ignoring warnings over safety at the coal pit.

A convoy containing his car was attacked by crowds and he was forced to seek refuge in a supermarket, surrounded by police.

With feelings running high, protesters shouted for him to resign and said he was a "murderer" and a "thief".

And Mr Erdogan's attempt to downplay the disaster at a news conference did little to defuse tensions.

He said accidents happened in other countries and even pointed to cases in 19th century Britain.

Mr Erdogan said: "These types of things in mines happen all the time.

"It's in its nature. It's not possible for there to be no accidents in mines. Of course we were deeply pained by the extent here."

He declared three days of national mourning and ordered flags to be lowered to half-mast.

The public backlash over the disaster could threaten Mr Erdogan's presidential ambitions ahead of the August election.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police Empty Re: Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police

Post  lily Thu May 15, 2014 2:22 pm

That was lacking in empathy wasn't it?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police Empty Re: Turkey mine deaths - protesters battle police

Post  bb1 Thu May 15, 2014 2:24 pm

He said accidents happened in other countries and even pointed to cases in 19th century Britain.

Mr Erdogan said: "These types of things in mines happen all the time.

"It's in its nature. It's not possible for there to be no accidents in mines. Of course we were deeply pained by the extent here."

Yes, he just oozed compassion, didn't he? Also forgetting that this isn't Victorian England, it's 21st century Europe...

Compare him with the President of Chile, who literally moved heaven and earth to get all the trapped miners out alive.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Thu May 15, 2014 2:31 pm

I thought about that too Bonny. No wonder the people were upset with him. Feel so badly for all of them.

He is an incredibly intelligent man, apparently, who has done a lot for Turkey in many ways in the past, but seems to be lacking the human touch. He doesn't connect too well with the folk in Istanbul and Ankara. The rest of the country love him. Although how much now will be the question.

lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri May 16, 2014 5:06 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1263094/turkish-police-clash-with-mine-protesters

Turkish police have fired tear gas and water cannon at thousands of protesters in Soma near the site of a deadly mining disaster.

A crowd, reported to be around 10,000 strong, were chanting anti-government slogans as they demonstrated in the town following the deaths of at least 284 coal miners.

The country's worst ever mining accident has lead to protests in several Turkish cities from the capital Ankara to the western city of Izmir.

Anger grew as the extent of Tuesday's fire and explosion became clear.

Protests were partly directed at mine owners accused of prioritising profit over safety, and partly at Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's government, seen as too close to big business and too lax in enforcing regulations

Terrible.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri May 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Can't get my head around any of this brutal behavior.

The miners deserve safety and it is the least the mine owners can do.  mad 
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down