JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum

3 posters

Go down

UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  Empty UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum

Post  Lamplighter Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:12 pm

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  Empty Re: UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:18 pm

LL, I can't think of why anyone would want to steal as much as a speck of dust from Auschwitz. I would feel - dirty, cursed even?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum  Empty Re: UK teenagers held over theft of artefacts from Auschwitz museum

Post  lily Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Am speechless too...Shocked
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:35 pm

bb1 wrote:LL, I can't think of why anyone would want to steal as much as a speck of dust from Auschwitz. I would feel - dirty, cursed even?
I have been to Mauhausen, Bergen-Belsen, Dauchau and Sachsenhausen and I can tell you one thing, there are no birds flying above, nor singing at any of these death camps. One feels very uncomfortable visiting them; for me the worst one was Mauthausen where my relatives were murdered. My grandfather, mother and father plus us kids did a pilgrimage to those camps. Even now I cannot really believe what I saw, it will stay with me forever. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:53 pm

I too have connections, LL and I do not want to go.   I was told that Dachau was moved in its entirety to a different location as they felt that bad.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:18 pm

lily wrote:I too have connections, LL and I do not want to go.   I was told that Dachau was moved in its entirety to a different location as they felt that bad.
If you mean it was moved after liberation that is incorrect. The main camp is sited in an area of an old munitions camp; it took us about an hour to actually find it as it was well hidden in a wooded area and it was just marked as KZ . The US army used it as a military base during the occupation until 1960 then it was handed over to the Bavarian Bereitschaftspolizei (Rapid Response Police). It is a memorial to those who died there. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:54 pm

I know about that LL, I didn't make myself clear.  hug 

When the decision was made to open it up it was re-sited piece by piece.  They didn't want it on the original ground as that would be even too horrid.

Was told that by a photographer friend who went there early on to photograph it.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:00 pm

lily wrote:I know about that LL, I didn't make myself clear.  hug 

When the decision was made to open it up it was re-sited piece by piece.  They didn't want it on the original ground as that would be even too horrid.

Was told that by a photographer friend who went there early on to photograph it.
Well, my grandpa was the one who took us there and he never mentioned it being removed elsewhere.   So I don't know who is right on this one, but grandpa knew Dachau well as he had contacts there before the war.  I am sure he would have said if it had been moved.  LL

Last edited by Lamplighter on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 pm

This was going back about early 80's LL.  

The photographer was a professional whose work was in demand and I remember he phoned me from Germany at the time.  Of course it could be BS but he was quite the honest guy....

ETA:  I remember he told me that they had told him that they did that because it would be too much of a shock to Jews visiting and seeing the camp etc.......so they attempted to soften the blow by moving it a bit.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Many Jews visit it as they do all the camps. For many it is the only connection with their dead relatives, they lay flowers on the sites of the various gas chambers (a lot were blown up by the Nazis when they realised the end was nigh) and on the sites of the burial pits. Your friend may have been told it had been moved, but it is a very large camp and would take a hell of a lot to resite it. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:29 pm

As I've never been, I accept in total what you say LL.   I have not been in contact with him for years although he is also a respected author and too much water has gone under the bridge......
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:47 pm

What he might be referring to, lily, is the morphing of the camp into the memorial site it is now, with churches and a shul built on the old parade ground. It would look like a resiting to people not familiar with the old camp, perhaps, rather than a restoration. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 pm

Oh that sounds like it is that, LL.  I appreciate that!  hug
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:35 pm

The thieves were a pair of spoiled brats:

Two British schoolboys were spared jail yesterday after stealing artefacts that belonged to prisoners at the Auschwitz concentration camp.
Marcus Dell and Ben Thompson, both 17, were arrested during a school trip to southern Poland to learn about the horrors of the Holocaust.
The pair, who attend Cambridge’s exclusive The Perse School where fees are more than £15,000 a year, were spotted acting suspiciously on Monday afternoon

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3135957/British-teenagers-arrested-stealing-items-former-Nazi-concentration-camp-Auschwitz.html#ixzz3dzx1PZJL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down