JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS? SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE

4 posters

Go down

NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE Empty NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS? SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE

Post  Lamplighter Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:54 am

Serbia president denies Srebrenica 'genocide'

Last Modified: 03 Jun 2012 07:13

Newly elected Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic has caused controversy by saying that the 1995 killing of 8,000 Muslims in Srebrenica constituted "grave war crimes", but not a genocide.

"There was no genocide in Srebrenica," Nikolic said in an interview with Montenegrin state television published on its website on Friday

"In Srebrenica, grave war crimes were committed by some Serbs, who should be found, prosecuted and punished," he added in the interview taped earlier this week.

"It is very difficult to indict someone and prove before a court that an event qualifies as genocide."

Bosnia immediately responded to the comments, with one of its presidents saying that the statement would cause "new tension" in the region.

"Denying the Srebrenica genocide ... is not a step on the road to co-operation and restoring confidence but exactly the opposite - it is a source of new misunderstandings and tension" in the region, said Bakir Izetbegovic, the Muslim member of Bosnia's tripartite presidency.

About 8,000 Muslim men and boys were killed in a matter of days after Bosnian Serb troops, under the command of General Ratko Mladic, assaulted the UN-protected enclave of Srebrenica in Bosnia in July 1995.

Mladic and Radovan Karadzic, the Bosnian Serbs' wartime political leader, are on trial in The Hague accused, among other things, of genocide for the killings.

"[The statement] casts serious doubts over [Nikolic's] pro-European stance and his commitment to good relations in the region," said Izetbegovic.

'It's honest'

Nikolic, who was an ultra-nationalist leader during the 1990s breakup of Yugoslavia, beat incumbent Boris Tadic in a runoff presidential vote on May 20.

After breaking with the anti-Western, ultra-nationalist Radical Party in 2008, Nikolic strove to present himself as a moderate populist nationalist and embraced Serbia's moves towards European Union membership.

Serbia became a member candidate for the 27-nation bloc in March, and Brussels has made it clear that Serbia must improve relations with its neighbours in order to be considered for eventual membership.

Belgrade has been slowly trying to rebuild ties with its former foes in Bosnia, Croatia and Kosovo, historically a province of Serbia still recognised by many Serbs as part of its territory, but the reconciliation process has been slow.

In 2010, the Serbian parliament passed a declaration that condemned the Srebrenica massacre and apologised to the victims. As leader of of the opposition SNS party, Nikolic had not supported the move.

Hatidza Mehmedovic, who belongs to the victims' organisation Mothers of Srebrenica and lost her husband and two sons in the massacre, said Nikolic's comments were "worrying" but honest.

"It's even honest what Nikolic is saying ... the majority of people there [in Serbia] think the same thing," she told the AFP news agency.

'PR hiccups'

The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia at The Hague and the International Court of Justice have ruled that the Srebrenica massacre amounted to genocide.

Al Jazeera's Aljosa Milenkovic, reporting from Belgrade, said that Nikolic has already made several divisive statements since being elected

"This is just one of maybe at least three PR hiccups as the newly elected president," said Milenkovic.

"Just a few days ago he stated in Moscow that he will push for recognition of independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia here in the Serbian parliament and that really sparked mixed reactions from Georgia. It was a surprise for Georgia.

"And a week ago, in an interview with German media, he allegedly said that the Croatian town of Vukovar was actually a Serbian town.

"And knowing the history of very fearsome fighting around the town during the break up of Yugoslavia during the early 1990s, Croats reacted really, really angrily, and as a result of that, the Croatian president will probably be absent from the inauguration of the Serbian president."

So, here we go again. The Serb President ratchets up the ante by denying the slaughter at Srebrenica was a war crime - what else can you call it? Over 8,000 men and boys gunned down, unable to protect themselves. Many people in Central and Eastern Europe do not trust the Serbs and many, especially those already in the EU, don't want the Serbs to join. The new President is an ultra-nationalist, so I think we can expect problems in Kosovo as a starter.

How Srebrenica resonated round the world shows up again with a commentator on the Syria problem stating that many in the UN regard Houla as another Srebrenica. LL

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE Empty Re: NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS? SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE

Post  bb1 Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:40 am

I pray that that doesn't flare up again, LL.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS?  SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE Empty Re: NEW UNREST IN THE BALKANS? SERB PRESIDENT DENIES GENOCIDE

Post  Lamplighter Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:46 am

Croatian President says he will not attend the inauguration of the Serbian President; I believe the Bosnian President is also boycotting it. Serbs are very unpopular in the old Jugoslavia. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  rhodes Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:45 pm

why can't people just get along.

It's all about the male ego trip imo. Nothing is ever achieved other than piles and piles of bodies mad
rhodes
rhodes
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Are The Serbs Muslims or Christians? Not that this makes any difference in the scheme of things, but I am ignorant of these facts and would like to keep it straight in my head. My question has nothing to do with Religion per se.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Sabot wrote:
Are The Serbs Muslims or Christians? Not that this makes any difference in the scheme of things, but I am ignorant of these facts and would like to keep it straight in my head. My question has nothing to do with Religion per se.
The ones that did all the killings - Orthodox Christians, the victims - Muslims. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Lamplighter wrote:
Sabot wrote:
The ones that did all the killings - Orthodox Christians, the victims - Muslims. LL

Thanks, LL. I thought that this was the case, but I wanted to be sure. But how they can call themselves Christians I really do not know.
I have long thought that there was something to be said for the tight rein that Russia kept all of these people on.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:04 pm

They work on the very twisted premise that, since Christianity actually predates Islam, the only true faith is theirs. They see Muslims in the same way medieval Christians saw Jews, subhuman and polluting what they consider to be their land. So, what does one do with vermin? One eradicates it. I wonder how he equates Mladic and the other Serbs on trial in the Hague with his logic - they are being tried for genocide, the one he says did not take place in Srebrenica. I decided some time ago to be totally non-religious as far as belonging to an actual 'faith' or sect. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:26 pm

I have spent years churning it over in my head, LL, and I have decided that I don't believe in Religion at all. I only believe in the mystery of The Universe.
All of these so called Religions all stem from the same stories, mostly dating to way back beyond The Pagans.
But I will fight any sort of Religious Persecution, whoever they are. And French Catholisism is the closest to anything like I would want to follow. It's a way of life to The French. Help people.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:31 pm

My canny parents gave me a choice; I was baptised into the RC religion but never confirmed (mum) and also into the Church of Scotland (dad). I chose neither. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

I had a well meant religious maniac for a grandmother, but her daughter was dying of Tuberculosis, so I do understand why. But I was seriously steeped in the Christianity beliefs. It took me a long time to realise that who you are is in your own head. In the end, you just have to be kind, which is why I so often feel sorry for these people.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down