JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
US Elections 2012 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
US Elections 2012 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
US Elections 2012 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
US Elections 2012 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
US Elections 2012 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
US Elections 2012 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
US Elections 2012 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
US Elections 2012 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
US Elections 2012 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

US Elections 2012

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

US Elections 2012 Empty US Elections 2012

Post  bb1 Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Seeing as how it is nearly Election Day....

http://news.sky.com/story/1006250/obama-and-romney-trade-economy-blows

Obama And Romney Trade Economy Blows

After two days lost to superstorm Sandy, the US presidential rivals hit the campaign trail hard in the key swing state of Ohio.

US President Barack Obama and Republican rival Mitt Romney each seized on new employment figures to bolster their campaigns with just four days to go before Tuesday's election.

Jobs and the economy have been the dominant issue in the presidential race as both candidates arrived in the key swing state of Ohio to address voters.

The latest employment snapshot showed the US economy added 171,000 net new jobs in October. It also showed hiring was stronger in August and September than first thought.

Mr Obama, who faces voters with the highest unemployment rate of any incumbent since Franklin Roosevelt during the Great Depression of the 1930s, told supporters in Hilliard that another month of job growth was "real progress".

But he went on to declare: "We've got more work to do."

At the same time, the unemployment rate rose to 7.9% in October, from 7.8% in September, mainly because more people began looking for work.

That news was seized upon by the Republicans as proof the economy is still stagnating, and would be safer in the hands of businessman Mr Romney, who said the jobs report was a "sad reminder that the economy is at a virtual standstill".

In September, the jobless rate had fallen from 8.1% to 7.8% and the drop was used by Mr Obama's campaign as evidence that the fragile US economy was finally on the mend.

Back on the campaign trail after two days lost due to superstorm Sandy on the US East Coast, both men reflected on the last few days' events.

Mr Obama described the disaster as "one of the worst storms in our history", adding: "As a nation, we mourn those who were lost."

Mr Romney said: "We are a nation of generous hearts - and those hearts are called upon in a time of crisis like this."

Both insisted they were the better man to lead the country and were the true agent of change.

Mr Romney said Mr Obama had "fallen short of what he promised" when he was elected four years ago.

"Candidate Obama promised changed, but he could not deliver it. I promise change, and I have a record of achieving it," he said.

"The question of this election comes down to this: Do you want more of the same or do you want real change? And we bring real change," Mr Romney told a rally in West Allis, Wisconsin.

Mr Obama took aim at Mr Romney, accusing him of running dishonest adverts on the automotive industry to scare voters in Ohio, saying: "This isn't a game. These are people's jobs."

The adverts, which have been airing in Toledo, suggest carmakers General Motors and Chrysler are adding jobs in China at the expense of workers in Ohio.

Responding to the ads, Mr Obama said: "Everybody knows it's not true."

Mr Obama accused Mr Romney of trying to alarm Ohioans "just to scare up some votes".

Chrysler and GM officials said the ads were inaccurate.

"After four years as president, you know me," Mr Obama said.

"You may not agree with every decision I've made. You may be frustrated sometimes at the pace of change, but you know what I believe. You know where I stand. You know I tell the truth. You know I fight for you and your families every single day as hard as I know how," he added, before heading to another rally in Lima, in County Allen.

No Republican candidate for the White House has ever won the election without capturing Ohio. Mr Obama is thought to be slightly ahead in the state, which delivers 18 electoral college votes.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

US Elections 2012 Empty Re: US Elections 2012

Post  Sabot Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:34 am

Okay. I know very little about American Politics. I can never remember who is Republican and who is Democrat, let alone what they both stand for.
I did hope that Obama would do well, but then I hoped Tony Blair would do well, and look where that got me. And that's coming from a life long Tory, so you will understand how desperate I was.
It has been a difficult time for everyone, so just how well has Obama done, or not? And what does Romney stand for?
Actually, what did Obama stand for?
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 am

Not being Romney?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:19 pm

US Elections 2012 Indyfront-1-329x437
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1006786/barack-obama-leads-us-presidential-race

Barack Obama Leads US Presidential Race

The incumbent is edging the closely-fought US election campaign, during which more than $1bn has been spent trying to woo voters.

The US presidential campaigns of Barack Obama and Mitt Romney have entered the last two days before voting, with polls indicating the incumbent is in the lead.

According to latest polls, Mr Obama appears to be ahead in enough swing states to secure the presidency for a second term.

After an intensive Saturday criss-crossing key battleground states, the American president is targeting Democrats in Colorado, Florida, Ohio and New Hampshire on Sunday, urging them to vote.

Meanwhile, Republican candidate Mitt Romney has decided to intensify efforts in Iowa, Ohio and then in Democrat-leaning Pennsylvania.

Mr Obama has an apparent edge in some key battleground states, including Ohio, while Mr Romney's campaign is projecting momentum, and banking on late-breaking voters to propel him to victory in the close race.

US Elections 2012 Perry-1-522x293

Pop singer Katy Perry was thanked by Mr Obama for her campaigning

The Republican hopeful plans to cut away briefly from the nine key battleground states that have dominated the candidates' travel itineraries.

Mr Romney, along with running mate Paul Ryan, plan an early evening rally in Morrisville, Pennsylvania in an attempt to woo disillusioned Democrats.

The key battlegrounds states in the election have been Ohio, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Wisconsin, Iowa and New Hampshire.

After rules regulating campaign funding were eased for this election, the two political parties ploughed huge amounts into primarily negative advertising against the opposition.

Americans in the key states have been hit by a blizzard of campaign ads.

The two political parties and their allied independent groups aired more than a million ads between June and the end of October, according to the Wesleyan University Media Project.

The advertising in 10 strategic states has cost more than $1bn (£620m).

Would-be voters have been bombarded with some 40% more television advertising than the number that ran in the same period in 2008 when Mr Obama defeated Republican John McCain.

But both candidates have appeared to become more fatigued in the frenzied final weekend of campaigning.

Mr Obama apologised to supporters for a hoarse voice at one speech on Saturday.

His apology came as former Democrat president Bill Clinton suffered from a similar problem and told supporters in Virginia he had "given my voice in the service of my president".

Mr Obama's strategy has included appeals to the industrial Midwest, where jobs have been saved after the federal government invested large amounts in the wake of the financial meltdown.

US Elections 2012 Election-8-ann-romney-1-522x293

Ann Romney has been on the weekend trail with her husband

His Republican challenger trails the president in some polls in battleground states but retains a narrow and plausible path to the 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency

Mr Romney's camp also argues that the Republican may not even be behind the incumbent.

They argue state polls are based on unrealistic assumptions of the size of the Democratic slice of the electorate and underplay Republican enthusiasm.

Mr Romney told crowds in Colorado Springs that the vote is "a moment to look into the future, and imagine what we can do to put the past four years behind us".

"The door to a brighter future is there."

But both sides realise with just two days to go the result may now be beyond their control.

"The power is not with us anymore, the planning, everything we do, it doesn't matter," Mr Obama told supporters in Virginia.

"It's all up to you, it's up to the volunteers - that's how democracy is supposed to be."
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:26 pm

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:41 pm

That's all well and good. They don't have to pay through the nose for what is happening to the US.

lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Maybe it's because this is a bit of an odd election, to anyone outside the US, Lily? Not many people know the nitty-gritty, just that Obama hasn't done anything too dreadful, internationally, and he did get Bin Laden killed?

That said, if he is re-elected, I can see this odd business in Benghazi coming back to haunt him.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:32 pm

Bonny, I really wanted him to do a good job this past 4 years, he has been abysmal. He has not done one thing that he said he was going to do except spend money like a drunken sailor, leaving the younger people with the bill for who knows how many years ahead?

He is all talk - he was on the debate team of Harvard - and NO action.

Mind you, I am not entirely enamored of Romney but he may do better in the jobs area as he is a businessman. That is something that has always been the engine of most countries. Obama has no background at all, and none of the people around him to either. Not good to hear.......

Now, regarding Libya..... I understand that he was watching it in real time in the Situation Room of the White House. They had four hours to do something......and nothing was done. We have contacts here...........mad mad mad
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:43 pm

I knew nothing about Benghazi apart from the official version, Lily, till I saw it on Fox...in its usual fair and balanced fashion.

But ignoring the Fox hot air, it seems to be a truly awful dereliction of duty by the administration; long-term, I could see it becoming WORSE than Watergate, as people died, fairly horribly.

Having seen that, I don't know if I could happily vote for Obama, but Romney seems to have had a charisma by-pass....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Oops, hit wrong button. biggrin

I don't care for either candidate and that has got to be a problem for more people than me.

It seems, in some ways, to be a fight between George Soros backing the Democrats v. Sheldon Adelson backing the Republicans. They are the ones backing the 2 parties.

The obscene amounts of money spent on the elections is beyond disgusting when you think how much that would help so many struggling people.

I understand that Bill Clinton doesn't want his wife to serve under Obama after this term if he gets in again. For what anyone thinks about Bill, and he should have controlled himself better, he was a really good president. Super intelligent.

lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:58 pm

He looked like a president, and it's scarcely the first time there have been shenanigans in the White House. Like Ronald Reagan before him, he filled the mantle of a head of state. Obama is more like a prime minister, if that makes sense?

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:11 pm

You have really hit the nail on the head there, Bonny. That is exactly what he is like.

Oh, speaking of, I see Cameron is here today and tomorrow. biggrin
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:41 pm

How nice for you. Feel free to keep the slimey git internationally-respected statesman.

I put on Fox for some fair and balanced and coverage; don't know why, but I get the impression they are backing Romney...I am now watching a live Romney speech, with his supporters answering his rhetorical questions.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:47 pm

One of our home-grown idiots has put both feet in it:

Cabinet minister Iain Duncan Smith appears to have taken sides in the US election, less than 48 hours before Americans go to the polls.
In an apparent break with impartiality before polling day, the senior Conservative defended Republican Mitt Romney from claims he is ‘stupid’ while warning Democrat Barack Obama’s economic strategy had created a ‘very worrying picture indeed’.
The comments from a senior member of the UK government less than two days before voting takes place are likely to raise eyebrows on both sides of the Atlantic.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2228045/Ian-Duncan-Smith-insists-Mitt-Romney-stupid.html#ixzz2BNaD5zoz
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Very UN-diplomatic, is that.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:06 pm

You would be surprised at all the articles I've seen from many places stating their preferences, Bonny. Also people saying who they want to win etc. getting hot under the collar, and they are not even allowed to vote in the US. Shocked rofl rofl

I think that this is the first global campaign?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:16 pm

I confess to taking less interest in it than usual, Lily, maybe because both of the candidates are a bit lacking in...excitement? Not sure what it is, but I don't feel either of them have engaged my personal attention as much as previous Presidential candidates have done.

I liked both Clinton and Reagan, they both had the stature and charisma to fill the office.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Again, you have nailed it, Bonny. I loved Reagan, I really did. It was like watching your favorite uncle on TV and he was good.

Clinton was also really good and I liked him too. Although I thought he should have kept his hands etc. to himself Shocked , the people pointing fingers at him, some had done worse themselves.

I wish we could have Clinton again, actually.

We would have to have a presidency by seance for Ronnie...... rofl rofl rofl rofl
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Well, Ronnie didn't meddle too much due to liking his naps, and made good statesman-like speeches.

Bill didn't meddle too much due to liking....playing the saxophone and made good statesman-like speeches.

Maybe a good Prez needs other interests than politics? Mind you, JFK had plenty, and nearly caused WW3, so scrap that idea...
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Obama likes many other things too, Bonny. He has a penchant for golf and when the going gets tough, he often is perfecting his golf. He does the same with bowling and on and on. He finds perfecting his game techniques to be more important, or something?

This is a pattern..........
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:04 pm

US Elections 2012 I-1-329x437
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:36 am

If he does win, it will be because he was president when the Hurricane hit and he went to tour the areas.

Before then, it was looking not quite so good for him.

If he does, I want him to be better in the four years ahead; that his 'change' in using taxpayers' trillions as Monopoly money, is not more of the same of the last 4.

Also, will his wife be more considerate of the American tax payer please.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 am

It seems to be on a knife-edge:

http://news.sky.com/story/1007529/obama-key-states-may-swing-it-for-president

Here's hoping we are spared hanging chads.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:49 pm

They may have to come up with something different than hanging chads this time, Bonny.

What I do find outrageous is that the ballots for overseas military personnel were delayed with the result that their votes might not reach the US until approx 1 month's time. This means that their votes will not be counted. This for those people who put their lives on the line for their country.

http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=InNews&ContentRecord_id=fceeffcb-821e-4a79-bd99-e11581e2a2af&ContentType_id=b94acc28-404a-4fc6-b143-a9e15bf92da4&f6c645c7-9e4a-4947-8464-a94cacb4ca65&Group_id=bf378025-1557-49c1-8f08-c5df1c4313a4

A group of Republican senators said Monday that thousands of voter ballots are unlikely to reach military service members until after Nov. 6.

One day ahead of the election, Sens. John Cornyn (R-Texas), Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), John McCain (R-Ariz.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) sent a letter to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to express their concern over delays in ballots reaching military voters overseas.

“We write to express concerns over another serious failure by the Department of Defense (DoD) to safeguard the voting rights of our overseas military service members, which we believe could result in the imminent disenfranchisement of thousands,” the letter stated.
Mail redirection in the military can take between 14 to 50 days, meaning a ballot could reach the voter possibly more than a month after ballots have to be mailed back in order to be counted. The Military Postal Service Agency (MPSA) identified problems with the system after the 2010 election, but hasn’t implemented changes.

ETA I've said my bit and I wish I could say that I want Obama to continue on for another 4 years. I was happy when he was elected and now I am disappointed in him, to put it mildly.

Other posters have the right to their opinions, as others may differ, so I will refrain from posting for a bit.

Thank you guys. hug
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Bless, Lily, most of us don't really know much about the ins and outs of all this, the system is so different. For instance, all our postal votes are counted FIRST, military or civilian....

And most Europeans get lost when it comes to Electoral Colleges....

Unless there is no overall majority, as last time, in the UK if the PM's party loses on Thursday, the removal vans are at No 10 on Friday, without any ceremony.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next