JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON

+3
Sabot
bb1
Pedro Silva
7 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 Empty Re: TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON

Post  bb1 Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:44 pm

TitanicVoyage ‏ @TitanicRealTime Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
#engineering Water pouring in 2ft above stokehold plates in boiler room 6 and in the empty starboard side forward bunker of boiler room 5!

#quartermaster Entering the bridge to see a flurry of activity – the peak of an iceberg has just passed the bridge!

TitanicVoyage ‏ @TitanicRealTime Close
#captain *COLLISION WITH ICEBERG* Just been woken by a tremendous crashing sound, what is going on out there?

#captain Just entered the bridge to see chaos. Mr Murdoch – what have we struck?

#officer Captain has ordered us to close the WTDs – already closed. The ship is swinging hard to starboard!
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 Empty Re: TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON

Post  bb1 Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:47 pm

#crew The ship's engines have stopped – I need to investigate. What on earth was that?

#engineering Are the ship's engines moving again? I can't understand why that would be, we need to stop!

#crew The iceberg off the starboard quarter is disappearing into the night – we are still moving but not by much. Ice all over the well deck

#captain Ismay has come up on deck on and is asking what happened – all we know is that we struck an iceberg. Damage yet unknown.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:49 pm

#carpathia Sending out our final communication with Titanic – apparently some mishap has taken place but I assume it isn't serious.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:54 pm

#crew Just reported to the captain that holds 1,2 and 3 are flooding quickly – he has gone below deck to meet up with an officer.

#firstclass Everyone is rushing up on deck to see what the problem is…it is just me or are we tilting?

#engineering The floods are now 8ft over the stokehold plates in boiler room 6. Someone just said they are at 7ft in hold 1 to. Good God….
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:09 am

Incredible. Thanks, Bonny.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:14 am

https://twitter.com/#!/TitanicRealTime

#passenger All this water…it is only within a few feet of reaching the E Deck staircase. How can this be?

#bandmaster Just going down to give them a tune, cheer them up a bit.

#officer The captain has returned to give the order. All lifeboats to be swung out and passengers brought on deck with lifebelts on.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:25 am

#ThomasAndrews I cannot believe this. The ship cannot be saved, she only has 1 to 1.5 hours at most before she goes under…
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:32 am

I'm having some trouble getting out of Steerage as no one seems to know where they are supposed to go. Panic everywhere.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  sadie Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:21 am

Awww, those reports are really chilling. They take you right there

Thank you Bonny.

sadie
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Rose Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:07 am

Titanic documentary, Last minutes of the Titanic mystery (2005) now on National Geographic. Amazing pictures
Rose
Rose
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:13 pm

100 years ago today, the first reports were coming in.

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 Evening_Sun
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  sadie Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Rose wrote:Titanic documentary, Last minutes of the Titanic mystery (2005) now on National Geographic. Amazing pictures

Missed it. Drat!

sadie
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:30 pm

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 Titanic-tow-224x300

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:14 pm

National Geographic has had some amazing programmes this week, I hope lots of people are able to watch them?

I cannot recommend this article highly enough:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tony-parsons-titanic-witnessed-mankind-794758

Titanic witnessed mankind at its heroic best and selfish worst

Titanic took something from the human race when she went down – innocence, certainty and confidence

By Tony Parsons

He has managed to capture all the emotions, and the ongoing fascination, associated with Titanic.

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 The+last+message+received+from+the+White+Star+Liner+Titanic

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:27 pm

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16208858

Titanic Memorial At Sinking Site 100 Years On

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 16208859

The liner sank on its maiden voyage on April 15, 1912

Passengers on a Titanic memorial cruise have been marking the 100th anniversary of the disaster with a ceremony at the site of the sinking.

Rev Huw Mosford held a short service on the MS Balmoral to remember the 1,512 people killed, after the vessel reached the fateful spot in the Atlantic overnight.
Deckboys then threw wreaths into the water from three sections of the cruise ship, which has been retracing the route of the ill-fated liner.

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 16208933

A passenger on the HMS Balmoral is comforted while viewing the wreaths

The 1,309 passengers of the ship - including descendants of the victims - heard the captain make an announcement before an emotional minute's silence was held.
It was 2.20am on April 15, 1912, when the liner sank on its maiden voyage. It was sailing from Southampton to New York when it collided with an iceberg 375 miles off Newfoundland. Of the 2,228 passengers on board, only 706 survived.
As well as a service in Southampton, the 100th anniversary was also marked in Northern Ireland and in the Irish Republic, where many of the victims were from.
The largest commemoration took place north of the Irish border.
Thousand of people attended or listened to a service of remembrance at Belfast City Hall, which featured another minute's silence.

Lord Mayor Niall O Donnghaile unveiled a new section of the city's long-established Titanic memorial garden. It includes the first monument in the world to list all 1,522 victims.

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 16208408

Survivors in a crowded lifeboat

Una Reilly, head of the Belfast Titanic Society, said: "The focus of the world is on Belfast and we are doing her proud."
South of the border, in Lahardane, or Addergoole, County Mayo, villagers organised a church bell ringing overnight.
The tiny parish suffered the greatest proportionate loss - 11 residents died in the maritime disaster.
A century later, they are still mourning their dead.
Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny was due to attend a ceremony in Lahardane's newly-constructed Titanic memorial park.
Belfast recently opened a new £97m Titanic visitor attraction - the largest in the world.
The ship was built in and launched from the city's Harland and Wolff shipyard.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:00 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tony-parsons-titanic-witnessed-mankind-794758

In both James Cameron’s Titanic and the film A Night to Remember, there is a drunken baker, who looks like comic relief, sucking down a bottle of whiskey, staggering about like Charlie Chaplin and perching on the stern of Titanic as she sits bolt upright in the Atlantic, then slides to her grave.

It was all true.

In reality the Titanic’s drunk was Chief Baker Charles Joughin, of Liverpool, who behaved with insane heroism all night.

Joughin threw women into lifeboats, chucked 50 deckchairs into the Atlantic (straws to cling to) and when he was assigned to number 10 lifeboat as skipper, he jumped out at the last moment and back on Titanic because he thought that leaving the ship would, “set a bad example”.

The Titanic’s comic drunk seems surely marked for death. But the baker rode the stern down and, as Titanic disappeared beneath the surface, claims to have stepped into the Atlantic without even getting his hair wet.

The bottle of whiskey inside him kept Joughin alive in sub-zero waters for hours – far longer than anyone else – and in the end he scrambled on to an overturned canvas lifeboat. Charles Joughin returned to Liverpool and lived for another 44 years.

I am amazed that that character really did exist, and all that did happen to him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Joughin

I cannot begin to imagine how he managed to survive in that freezing water for so long, but he clearly did, it was witnessed and recorded.

He seems to have had almost a charmed life, serving on WW2 troopships before dying in the States at a fairly ripe old age.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks for all the info Bonny. We haven't seen any of that here. Sad Sad
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:35 pm

It's fascinating, isn't it, Lily? The twitter feed was rivetting, when I was watching it last night, I found myself forgetting that it was all so long ago, and that I knew how it was going to end.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:55 pm

What a story. It never fails to interest does it?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Maybe it's because it is almost the first 'modern' disaster, and we know so much about the people involved? Also, I think that, over time, the story would have slipped from the headlines - until she was found.

Did anyone living now ever expect to actually see the Titanic, albeit on a screen? Or to be able to touch her hull in Las Vegas, of all places? It's as if in some strange way, she came back to a kind of life again.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:45 pm

bb1 wrote:TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 Titanic-tow-224x300

Goodness me. Morais must have been around Churnalisting Mediatic Codswallop.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:52 pm

I know, Sabot, it's stunning just how wrong the first reports were - it was only about now that the truth about the scale of the disaster was realised:

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 5 Titanic+newspaper+report
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:07 pm

bb1 wrote:It's fascinating, isn't it, Lily? The twitter feed was rivetting, when I was watching it last night, I found myself forgetting that it was all so long ago, and that I knew how it was going to end.

That's it, I think. We all keep on hoping that the end will be different. Or at least that we particularly would have survived. Dying is for other people, you see.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:46 pm

I can imagine the pleasure or happiness at Titanic´s launch, also the same happiness at Southampton, Cherbourg also at Queenstown, also the same feeling that it was felt by those who travelled on Titanic until the moment of the iceberg.

Last edited by Pedro Silva on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next