JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON

+3
Sabot
bb1
Pedro Silva
7 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 Empty Re: TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON

Post  bb1 Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:04 am

I don't think the lookouts were incompetent, Sabot - I have also seen it stated that icebergs are very difficult to see at night, and normally, lookouts relied on seeing the waves splashing at the bottom of them for an early warning.

The water was absolutely still that night so there was no splashing - and I could well imagine the weather caused this strange phenomenon, too.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 Empty Re: TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON

Post  Sabot Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:13 am

bb1 wrote:I don't think the lookouts were incompetent, Sabot - I have also seen it stated that icebergs are very difficult to see at night, and normally, lookouts relied on seeing the waves splashing at the bottom of them for an early warning.

The water was absolutely still that night so there was no splashing - and I could well imagine the weather caused this strange phenomenon, too.

Sorry I didn't put up the link, Bonny. It was really interesting. I'll see if I can find it.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:33 am

What an incredible edition of National Geographic. Thanks for bringing it to our forum.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:40 am

The pictures in NG are mesmerising, and they also have quite a few specials scheduled for their TV channel.

Titanic always did have a timeless fascination, if only as a warning to humans not to be arrogant, but no-one expected to ever actually see her, did they?

I never thought she would be found, and that we would be able to see for ourselves the damage that the iceberg did.

There's something haunting about Titanic, to me.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:49 am

A lot of modern day ship building is carried out around The Titanic Disaster, although no ship is unsinkable if the damage is that extensive. Too many water tight compartments were flooded. That is just a fact. It was the lack of Lifeboats that caused the loss of life. How effing stupid was that? They just need to have done a few basic sums.

Me? I always camp out on the nearest lifeboat.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:51 am

Definitely haunting. When I was young I remember my father had all sorts of books and articles about her. I think other fathers were equally interested? I guess she got into our blood?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:48 pm

She would probably have vanished into the mists of time, I think, Lily - if she hadn't been found. I don't think any of us ever expected we would be able to actually see her?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:08 pm

My friend, about "Thought you would like those, Pedro", you´re right, I really enjoy it, I´m a big fan of Titanic, I have lots of things about Titanic, including a whistle, documentaries, also a model of Titanic, books, dvd´s, films, also soundtrack with film of James Cameron´s Titanic, etc.

Last edited by Pedro Silva on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:28 pm

This is interesting - about the various films made on the subject. My favorite is 'A Night To Remember' which may not have had all the razzamatazz Cameron's film did but was very good for its day (1956). LL

http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/resources/educational/teachable_moments/deconstructing_titanic_4.cfm

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Lamplighter wrote:This is interesting - about the various films made on the subject. My favorite is 'A Night To Remember' which may not have had all the razzamatazz Cameron's film did but was very good for its day (1956). LL

http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/resources/educational/teachable_moments/deconstructing_titanic_4.cfm

Bonny, no. I don't think we would ever have thought that we would get to see all this? I do wish that people like my father could have had the thrill.

LL, that was one of my favorite films when I was a kid. I'm sure like so many others, I cried buckets......
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:47 pm

I also have the film, black and white, "a night to remember (1958)", with Kenneth More.

Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:50 pm

I personally feel A Night To Remember was a better film in many ways; the story itself was dramatic enough, without embellishments.

Or Jack and Rose Wink

Bet you didn't know that Goebbles made his very own version of Titanic, which was a true disaster - but some of the scenes from it ended up in A Night To Remember:

http://cruiselinehistory.com/?p=2743

It was intended as propaganda, to counter films like Casablanca, and the morale-boosting films UK studios were producing.

Goebbles didn't realise that the German public in 1943 wasn't actually in the mood for scenes of mass panic, whoever was doing the panicking. Everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong, culminating in the supposed 'suicide' of the director in a Gestapo cell.....

ETA pic:

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 51fdfx9b84l_ss500_
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:01 pm

bb1, I wasn´t aware of Goebbles version, thanks for telling me.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:06 pm

What an interesting story, Bonny. Thank you very much. It is winging its way to a few friends overseas. smile
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:07 pm

I didn't know about it either, Pedro, till I saw a documentary on one of the UK channels about it a few weeks ago. It was quite a revelation.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:14 pm

lily wrote:What an interesting story, Bonny. Thank you very much. It is winging its way to a few friends overseas. smile

The documentary was fascinating, Lily.

Apparently, the original idea was to use a large model, and film in one of the lakes near Berlin. But the model kept breaking down, and also some rather large airplanes were taking an interest in Berlin.

So, they moved to the Baltic, and that liner, which had had troops on it. Someone then had the less than clever idea of using the troops as extras, but they then kept wrecking scenes by getting drunk.

The director had had enough by this point, and got drunk himself in one of the local hotels, which had been commandeered by the Nazis.

He launched an anti-Goebbles, anti-Nazi and anti-Hitler rant, which was how he ended up in the Gestapo cell.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:15 pm

Pedro Silva wrote:bb1, I wasn´t aware of Goebbles version, thanks for telling me.

Hi Pedro. Glad to see you too like anything about the Titanic. smile
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:08 pm

Yes bb1, you´re right.

Yes lily, I´m a big fan of Titanic.
smile
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Wey Hey. Just found it on YouTube. A Night to Remember, that is. Just watched the first part.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:50 pm

bb1 wrote:
lily wrote:What an interesting story, Bonny. Thank you very much. It is winging its way to a few friends overseas. smile

The documentary was fascinating, Lily.

Apparently, the original idea was to use a large model, and film in one of the lakes near Berlin. But the model kept breaking down, and also some rather large airplanes were taking an interest in Berlin.

So, they moved to the Baltic, and that liner, which had had troops on it. Someone then had the less than clever idea of using the troops as extras, but they then kept wrecking scenes by getting drunk.

The director had had enough by this point, and got drunk himself in one of the local hotels, which had been commandeered by the Nazis.

He launched an anti-Goebbles, anti-Nazi and anti-Hitler rant, which was how he ended up in the Gestapo cell.

That is really fascinating, Bonny. What a story and thanks very much. Maybe the documentary will be in my future.

Already received a WOW!!! response about the article you posted up.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:41 pm

This is showing on C5 just now:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/inside-the-titanic?explore_show_page=1&page=1&related=clips

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 C510

We are currently just after she hit the iceberg; it's being suggested that, by restarting the engines without properly evaluating the damage, her motion through the water was increasing the speed at which water entered.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:47 pm

bb1 wrote:This is showing on C5 just now:

http://www.channel5.com/shows/inside-the-titanic?explore_show_page=1&page=1&related=clips

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 C510

We are currently just after she hit the iceberg; it's being suggested that, by restarting the engines without properly evaluating the damage, her motion through the water was increasing the speed at which water entered.

Well it would, wouldn't it. Without that the ship might have stayed afloat for another hour or two.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Loosely related:

http://news.sky.com/home/showbiz-news/article/16196145

James Cameron Reaches Bottom Of Real Abyss

Quote:

Filmmaker James Cameron has become the first human to dive alone to the deepest part of the ocean - the 6.8-mile-deep Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean.

The Abyss and Titanic filmmaker reached a depth of 35,756 feet (10,898 metres) in a specially designed 12-tonne submarine near Papua New Guinea, his mission partner, National Geographic, said.
Cameron's first words on reaching the bottom of the trench were "All systems OK".
He then tweeted: "Just arrived at the ocean's deepest pt. Hitting bottom never felt so good. Can't wait to share what I'm seeing w/ you."
James Cameron

@JimCameron
Just arrived at the ocean's deepest pt. Hitting bottom never felt so good. Can't wait to share what I'm seeing w/ you @DeepChallenge
25 Mar 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

Humans have only made it to the bottom of the trench once before - in 1960 when a two-man US Navy team spent 20 minutes on the seabed. Cameron is the first to do it solo.
The 57-year-old Oscar-winning director spent several hours collecting samples and taking video and photographs including 3D images that could help scientists better understand the unexplored part of Earth.

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 16196327
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

TITANIC - ONE HUNDRED YEARS ON  - Page 2 Empty Museum 'Belfast Titanic "opened in the Irish town where the ship was designed and built

Post  Pedro Silva Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:32 pm

http://sicnoticias.sapo.pt/vida/2012/03/30/museu-titanic-belfast-inaugurado-na-cidade-irlandesa-onde-o-navio-foi-desenhado-e-construido

Museum 'Belfast Titanic "opened in the Irish town where the ship was designed and built
There are several museums and memorials to the Titanic, but Belfast claim a place in history and offers superlative experience, including a multimedia recreation of the sinking and even a replica of the hall, which can be rented for weddings.
"Belfast Titanic" will be inaugurated on Saturday in the city where the ship was designed and built over three years, the same time it took the space to be completed.

The project, which leads the busiest of urban regeneration in Europe, aims to have an effect similar to the Guggenheim had in Bilbao (Basque Country) and mark the landscape of the city as the Eiffel Tower in Paris (France).

Taking advantage of the centenary celebrations of the shipwreck, April 15, 1912, the new space you want to claim a share in the fascination that continues to exist around the Titanic.

The six-story building was constructed symbolically in the docks of the capital of Northern Ireland, less than 100 meters to where the Titanic was released to water in the early twentieth century.

From the outside, is dominated by four walls of 27.5 meters and angled resembling vessel bows, and is used to input a metal plate 18 meters, such as those used in the construction of Titanic.

Inside, nine galleries are designed to provide visitors with experiences similar to a person who had lived in Belfast in the early 1900s, when recorded a great economic boom.

With the help of movies and sounds you can visit the Harland and Wolff shipyards, where the larger boats were built at the time, and you can even watch closely the launch of the Titanic.

It is shown after the luxurious interior of the boat and presented the story of some of the passengers and crew.

But the most impressive moment is a dramatic recreation of the sinking, when the lights dim, the temperature drops and hear testimonies of survivors.

Finally, there is a trip to the bottom of the Atlantic to see firsthand the wreckage.

In the space was made a replica of the staircase and the dining room of the ship, which can be rented for events and even weddings.

Were sold over 80,000 tickets to people from 20 countries are expected close to half a million visitors.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:35 pm

Merging with Main Titanic thread, Pedro smile
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next