JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Jeremy Thorpe dies EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Jeremy Thorpe dies EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Jeremy Thorpe dies EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Jeremy Thorpe dies EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Jeremy Thorpe dies EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Jeremy Thorpe dies EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Jeremy Thorpe dies EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Jeremy Thorpe dies EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Jeremy Thorpe dies EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Jeremy Thorpe dies

2 posters

Go down

Jeremy Thorpe dies Empty Jeremy Thorpe dies

Post  bb1 Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:19 pm

I hold my hands up, I thought he'd died years ago, but I was clearly wrong:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30336167

Former Liberal leader Jeremy Thorpe dies

Former Liberal Party leader Jeremy Thorpe has died aged 85 after a long battle with Parkinson's Disease, his son Rupert has announced.

He was elected leader of the Liberals in 1967, promising to turn the party into a radical pioneering force.

But his political career ended when his life was engulfed in scandal and he faced trial on charges of conspiracy and incitement to murder.

He stepped down as leader in 1976 and was cleared of the charges in 1979.

Mr Thorpe resigned as Liberal Party leader after allegations of an affair with a former male model, Norman Scott, at a time when male homosexual acts were illegal.

Along with three other men, he was later charged with conspiracy to murder Mr Scott, but all the men walked free from court after a 31-day trial.

The court case was halted for eight days at his request so he could contest his North Devon seat in the May general election. He was heavily defeated.

The episode, which attracted press coverage from around the world, resurfaced when one of Mr Thorpe's co-defendants wrote an article for the News of the World, claiming the former party leader had incited him to murder Mr Scott. Mr Thorpe's solicitor issued a rebuttal and the director of public prosecutions said there was no question of another trial.

Tributes paid
Lib Dem MP Sir Nick Harvey, who represents Mr Thorpe's former constituency, described him as a "towering force in shaping the political landscape of the late 20th and early 21st centuries".

Former Lib Dem leader Sir Menzies Campbell said: "Jeremy Thorpe's enforced resignation as leader of the Liberal Party and his subsequent departure from Parliament should not obscure the fact that in his day he was an outstanding parliamentarian with a coruscating wit, and a brilliant campaigner on the stump whose interest and warmth made him a firm favourite with the public."

Lord Steel of Aikwood, who succeeded Mr Thorpe as party leader, said he had a "genuine sympathy for the underprivileged", both in his constituency and in Africa, where he campaigned against apartheid.

Now that was a scandal; but I personally can live without the 'glowing tributes' on this occasion. I thought the Towering Force was a nasty bit of work long before the dog-murdering.

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Thorpe dies Empty Re: Jeremy Thorpe dies

Post  lily Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:58 pm

Unsavory character, as I remember.  Nevertheless, I feel sorrow for his family.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:44 pm

I was astounded when Nick Clegg and co claimed to know nothing at all about past rumours concerning Cyril Smith, in particular.....

Jeremy Thorpe dies 372_big
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:36 am

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums