JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
India bans film in which rapist blames victim EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
India bans film in which rapist blames victim EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
India bans film in which rapist blames victim EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
India bans film in which rapist blames victim EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
India bans film in which rapist blames victim EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
India bans film in which rapist blames victim EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
India bans film in which rapist blames victim EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
India bans film in which rapist blames victim EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
India bans film in which rapist blames victim EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

India bans film in which rapist blames victim

3 posters

Go down

India bans film in which rapist blames victim Empty India bans film in which rapist blames victim

Post  Lamplighter Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 am

India bans film in which rapist blames victim

Film-maker decries censorship as government investigates how gang rapist was allowed to be interviewed in jail.

05 Mar 2015 06:18 GMT |

India has banned the broadcasting of a controversial documentary in which one of the men convicted for gang-raping and murdering a female student is shown blaming the victim mainly because of her gender - a move the film's maker called "arbitrary censorship".

Home Minister Rajnath Singh told parliament on Wednesday the comments of Mukesh Singh, one of five men convicted over the 2012 attack in New Delhi, were "highly derogatory and an affront to the dignity of women".

"The government condemns it," he said of the documentary made by award-winning British film-maker Leslee Udwin, who won rare access to New Delhi's Tihar jail to interview the prisoner on death row.   "It will not allow any organisation to leverage such an incident and use it for commercial purpose," he said.

Singh's comments in the Rajya Sabha, India's upper house, came after a New Delhi court late on Tuesday issued an order banning media from showing the film India's Daughter.   The December 2012 gang-rape of the young physiotherapy student as she travelled home from a visit to the cinema triggered violent protests in India. The woman died from her injuries 13 days after the savage attack, which highlighted the frightening level of violence against women in the world's second-most populous country.

It led to a major reform of India's rape laws, speeding up trials and increasing penalties, although many campaigners say little has changed for most ordinary victims.

India's NDTV network was due to have shown the documentary to mark International Women's Day on Sunday, when it will also be broadcast in six other countries including Britain.

'Banning is not the answer'

Udwin said she was heart-broken by the ban on her documentary, in which Mukesh Singh said the 23-year-old victim should not have been "roam(ing) around at 9 o'clock at night" and that "a girl is far more responsible for rape than a boy".

"I am sure, positive, that NDTV will fight this arbitrary censorship all the way, because it is an organisation that stands up for values, for public welfare and for the greater good," she told the AFP news agency.

"India is a country that values its rights and one of the most important of them is the freedom of speech, expression and that needs to be upheld."

Udwin said earlier she had permission from both prison authorities and the home ministry to film inside the vast Tihar jail in Delhi for her documentary.

But Home Minister Singh said she had violated the terms of the agreement, and summoned the head of the jail to explain why permission had been granted.

The ban sparked a lively debate on social media and in parliament, where independent MP Anu Agha said India was failing to confront the problem of violence against women.
"Banning this movie is not the answer," she said.   "We have to confront the issue that men in India do not respect women and any time there is a rape, blame is put on the woman."
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2015/03/india-bans-film-rapist-blames-victim-150304124716319.html
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

India bans film in which rapist blames victim Empty Re: India bans film in which rapist blames victim

Post  bb1 Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:30 am

This is one case where I suspect banning IS the answer, LL. Who in their right minds makes a film in which rapist scum gets to blame the victim - it's incitement, IMO, and a re-enforcement of existing criminal behaviour.

I am fed up of shrieks of Free Speach! being used as an excuse to promote scummy behaviour.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

India bans film in which rapist blames victim Empty Re: India bans film in which rapist blames victim

Post  Lamplighter Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:03 am

Leslee Udwin is a respected film-maker/actress and a feminine activist. As I remember she produced the documentary that helped get the Birmingham 4 released and apparently made Margaret Thatcher irridescent with rage. I think she wanted the treatment of woman in India as toys for men to be recorded. The doc does not just show the rapists and their attitude but also the response of the parents of the murdered girl to the rapists' defence of their right to rape any woman they consider as targets. LL

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/Things-You-Need-to-Know-About-Leslee-Udwin-and-her-Documentary-on-Nirbhaya/2015/03/04/article2697794.ece
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:12 am

I doubt very much if that message will be heard, LL. All that will be heard is the rapist blaming the victim. If she wants to make a film about the subject - excellent idea. Just leave the rapist justifying himself out. Because HE will be regarded as a bit of a hero by all those others in India that have such problems with women.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:12 pm

the author of such film either is crazy or defends rapists.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Pedro Silva wrote:the author of such film either is crazy or defends rapists.
No, Pedro, Leslee made the film to show how women are treated in India, how men there believe it is Gopd-given their right to rape and abuse women. She believes in womens' rights and wanted to make Indian men realise women are not objects or playthings. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:20 pm

ok LL, but, I ask this: if the author had such purpose (well done to the author for expose such terrible crimes), why does Indian government acted with such way when the film shows the reality in India.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:24 pm

She isn't defending them, Pedro, anything but, but she's fallen into the Free Speach trap, IMO. She should have stuck to the victims, and the horrors of these attacks, instead of giving airtime to monsters.

The rapists' own defence lawyer ML Sharma told the documentary: 'We have the best culture. In our culture, there is no place for a woman.'

Home Minister Rajnath Singh said of the film: 'Under no circumstances should this be telecast'
A second defence lawyer, AP Singh, said if his daughter or sister 'engaged in pre-marital activities... in front of my entire family, I would put petrol on her and set her alight'.
The exact reasons for the government's ban were initially mired in confusion.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh told parliament yesterday that the government sought the ban because Singh's comments were 'highly derogatory and an affront to the dignity of women'.
One government minister, M Venkaiah Naidu, called it a 'conspiracy to defame India'.
There were heated questions over how the documentary crew gained permission to interview the convicted rapist amid concerns he was being given a platform.
Spokesman Rajan Bhagat said the New Delhi police had petitioned the court for a ban on the grounds that the film's 'objectionable content' could cause public disorder.
Yet campaigners criticised the government for appearing more worried about the country's reputation than about the dangers women face.
'Banning this movie is not the answer,' said Anu Agha, an independent MP. 'We have to confront the issue that men in India do not respect women and any time there is a rape, blame is put on the woman.'
Film-maker Ms Udwin said: 'The more they try to stop the film, the more they are going to pique people's interest. Now, everyone is going to want to see it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2980630/Delhi-rape-victims-father-urges-viewing-documentary.html#ixzz3TVsPJPlz
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

And no doubt there are many rupees to be made along the way....

Thing is, I am sure Indian women know better than anyone about the dangers they face. Yet along come the chattering classes and Sisterhood to start a 'debate' about it. In reality, by giving the rapists and killers a platform,  a fair number of Indian men already prone to mistreating women are going to have their vile beliefs re-enforced.

Make a film about the victims and I will happily watch it. Give rapists and murderers a platform, then I am afraid you are legimising and glamourising them, just as has happened with ISIS.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:28 pm

Pedro Silva wrote:ok LL, well done. but, I ask you this: if the author had such purpose, why does Indian government acted with such way?
At a guess, Pedro, because it is the way of life in India that women can be abused, beaten even murdered and the powers that be turn a blind eye or even condone it. India is in certain ways a backward society where men are the main force in all things and women are always second class, unless they happen to belong to the upper castes, ie Brahmins. They are treated as possessions of their husbands, there to cook, clean and have children. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:33 pm

Pedro Silva wrote:ok LL, but, I ask this: if the author had such purpose (well done to the author for expose such terrible crimes), why does Indian government acted with such way when the film shows the reality in India.

IMO, Indian women know the reality all too well, Pedro, they don't need the BBC to tell them all about it.

As far as I am concerned, rapists and murderers lost their right to bleat to the media long ago - and who in their right minds thinks its big, clever and liberating to women to broadcast lawyers justifying burning women to death?

This is, IMO, typical liberal, bien pensant stupidity. For every person who is going to be shocked, there are another five scumbags who will think their vile behaviour has been legitimized - Look, lawyers agree with me, why are those fine fellows in prison?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:44 pm

yes bb1, I´m sure they know: "Indian women know the reality all too well", but it is also good to see that exposed in other countries because this terrible reality exists, it should be exposed.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Exposing it? I have no problem whatsoever with that, Pedro. But I do have a very, very big problem with giving the perpetrators airtime.

Sure, what they say will shock us - but it won't shock all those Indian lowlives already mistreating their wives and daughters, they will see it as justification. It'll come as no news to Indian women that many of them are badly treated. They know, because they live it.

Do we actually need to know why monsters do horrible things? No, I don't think we do, they're just monsters - leave that to the psychiatrists.

This is, IMO, the same kind of nonsense that let to UK media being flooded last week with idiots telling us why we should be understanding towards Jihad John, the headchopper, because he was bullied at school or some similar bullsh*t.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:36 pm

bb1, relax, take a deep breath. my apologies if I have offended you or upset you with my comment,

it was not my intention.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:37 pm

bb1, your words are mine:

"Exposing it? I have no problem whatsoever with that. But I do have a very, very big problem with giving the perpetrators airtime.

Sure, what they say will shock us - but it won't shock all those Indian lowlives already mistreating their wives and daughters, they will see it as justification. It'll come as no news to Indian women that many of them are badly treated. They know, because they live it.

Do we actually need to know why monsters do horrible things? No, I don't think we do, they're just monsters - leave that to the psychiatrists.

This is, IMO, the same kind of nonsense that let to UK media being flooded last week with idiots telling us why we should be understanding towards Jihad John, the headchopper, because he was bullied at school or some similar bullsh*t.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:09 pm

Bless you, Pedro, of course you haven't offended me. hug I just feel strongly about NOT giving monsters a platform.

I would fully support a film which genuinely exposed these horrors - but a film that gives a platform to the monsters isn't it.

Why not cut them out, and let the victims and their families voices be heard - without the killers and rapists justifying themselves?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:17 pm

bb1, your words are mine:

"I just feel strongly about NOT giving monsters a platform.

I would fully support a film which genuinely exposed these horrors - but a film that gives a platform to the monsters isn't it.

Why not cut them out, and let the victims and their families voices be heard - without the killers and rapists justifying themselves?". yes, that is the type of film that should be made / exposed.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down