JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA

+3
Rose
bb1
Lamplighter
7 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 Empty Re: ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA

Post  Lamplighter Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:47 am

Children in Connecticut rampage, all six and seven, shot repeatedly
By Ernest Scheyder and Rob Cox | Reuters – 11 hours ago

NEWTOWN, Connecticut (Reuters) - Twelve girls and eight boys. One had celebrated her seventh birthday just four days before her death. They were Charlotte and Jack, Noah and Grace.
Dressed in "cute kid stuff," all 20 died when a heavily armed 20-year-old gunman forced his way into their school, Sandy Hook Elementary, and shot them and six women in an act of violence that has shattered their once-tranquil suburban town.
"They were first-graders," said Connecticut Chief Medical Examiner Dr. H. Wayne Carver II, before releasing the names of all the victims of the school shootings on Saturday.
Asked to describe the attack, Carver, who oversaw the autopsies of all the victims and conducted many himself, called it "the worst I have seen."
The shooter, identified by law enforcement officials as Adam Lanza, killed his mother Nancy on Friday, then drove to the school where he gunned down another 26 people before taking his own life in one of the deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history.
He fired a rifle, shooting his victims multiple times. Parents identified their children through pictures, a process intended to minimize their shock, Carver said.
Police did not officially identify Lanza or his mother.
Members of the close-knit community went into public mourning on Saturday as the depth of the tragedy became clear.
"I don't know how to get through something like this," said Robbie Parker, a 30-year-old physician's assistant whose 6-year-old daughter Emilie was among the dead.
"My wife and I don't understand how to process this and how to get our lives going," Parker told reporters. Emilie, the oldest of his three children, Parker said, "could just light up a room."
While Americans have seen many mass shootings in the past two decades, the victims have rarely been so young. On Saturday, some Democratic lawmakers called for sweeping new gun-control measures, a move certain to run up against stiff opposition from the nation's powerful pro-gun lobby.
President Barack Obama, who a day earlier was moved to tears on national television by the tragedy, called for "meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this," but stopped short of specifically calling for tighter gun-control laws.
CHRISTMAS TREE MEMORIAL
Town fire officials set up 26 Christmas trees, decorated with stuffed animals, near the school as a memorial to the victims - many of whom were children who may have been hoping for such toys as their own holiday presents. Churches held memorial services.
"Those innocent little boys and girls were taken from their families far too soon," said Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy. "Let us all hope and pray those children are now in a place where that innocence will always be protected."
One of the victims, Josephine Gay, had celebrated her seventh birthday on Tuesday.
Rabbi Shaul Paver said he had spent time with Veronika Pozner, whose 6-year-old son Noah, was among the victims.
"She said that she didn't know how she was going to go on, and we encouraged her to focus on her other four children that need her and not to try to plan out the rest of her life, just take a deep breath right now," Paver said.
Another of the victims, 7-year-old Grace McDonnell was a "bright, blonde little girl with a cherubic face - if you could describe an angel it would be her," said neighbour Kim Torre-Tasso, who has known the family since moving to Newtown nine years ago.
She said the child and her mother were "symbiotic - she was like her little best friend."
The adult victims, some of whom died defending the students, ranged in age from 27 to 56. Carver, the medical examiner, said all the bodies had examined had been shot with a rifle. He said he and his staff had not yet examined the shooter or his mother.
MOTIVES EMERGING
Police earlier said they had assembled "some very good evidence" on the killer's motives.
"Our investigators at the crime scene ... did produce some very good evidence in this investigation that our investigators will be able to use in, hopefully, painting the complete picture as to how - and more importantly why - this occurred," Connecticut State Police Lieutenant Paul Vance told reporters.
Yale-New Haven Hospital opened a crisis-intervention center in the wealthy suburb of 27,000 people about 80 miles (130 km) from New York City.
The killer's mother, Nancy Lanza, legally owned a Sig Sauer and a Glock, both handguns commonly used by police, and a military-style Bushmaster .223 M4 carbine, according to law enforcement officials, who also said they believed Adam Lanza used at least some of those weapons.
The death toll exceeded that of one of the most notorious U.S. school shootings, the 1999 rampage at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, where two teenagers murdered 13 students and staff before killing themselves.
Around the nation communities took small steps to mark the tragedy.
At Virginia Tech, a Blacksburg, Virginia university where in 2007 a gunman killed 32 people in the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history, an announcer extended sympathies to the residents of Newtown before a basketball game.
"This campus ... shares a deep sense of grief," the announcer said. "We share that pain and we open our hearts to that community."
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 Empty Re: ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA

Post  Lamplighter Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:57 am

Connecticut massacre suspect Adam Lanza was a 'nice kid,' some say
By Holly Yan, CNN
December 16, 2012 -- Updated 0651 GMT (1451 HKT)

He was a 20-year-old man who, by multiple accounts, was incredibly smart and quiet. He didn't appear to have any run-ins with the law.
But Adam Lanza's seemingly innocuous life was thrust into the spotlight when authorities said he perpetrated the second deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.
On Friday morning, Lanza walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, dressed in black battle fatigues and a military vest" and began firing, according to a law enforcement source. By the time he was done, 26 were dead -- 20 of them young students.
The bloodshed ended when Lanza's own life did. He was found dead in a classroom with three firearms: a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle and two pistols, a Glock and a Sig Sauer.
Before Friday's rampage, authorities said, Lanza killed his mother in their home in Newtown's Sandy Hook community.
The mass tragedy left people in the Connecticut town, around the country, around the world asking questions. Who was this man, and why did he do this?
Lanza moved to Connecticut from Kingston, New Hampshire, with his parents and older brother Ryan, according to a booklet for the town's Newtown's Bennetts Farm neighborhood. He enjoyed soccer, skateboarding and video games, the publication said.
In September 2009 -- when Lanza was 17 -- his mother and father divorced, court documents show. What happened after that for him isn't clear, except that he lived in the picturesque, 300-year-old Connecticut town.
His father, Peter, remarried and lived not far from Newtown, an official said. He was questioned by authorities after the shooting. So, too, was his 24-year-old brother Ryan.
Authorities have offered few details about Lanza. He had no known criminal record, a law enforcement official said.
One of Lanza's aunts, Marsha, described him as a "quiet, nice kid," but he had issues with learning, she said. Her husband is Lanza's paternal uncle.
"He was definitely the challenge of the family in that house. Every family has one," she told CNN affiliate WLS. "They have one. I have one. But never in trouble with the law, never in trouble with anything."
She said Lanza's mother "battled" with the school board and ended up having her son home-schooled.
"She had issues with school," the aunt, who lives in Crystal Lake, Illinois, said. "I'm not 100% certain if it was behavior or learning disabilities, but he was a very, very bright boy. He was smart."
Alex Israel was in the same class at Newtown High School with Lanza, and lived a few houses down from him.
"You could definitely tell he was a genius," Israel told CNN, adding she hadn't talked with him since middle school. "He was really quiet, he kept to himself."
Others in Newtown who knew Lanza said they had no idea he'd ever be responsible for such horror.
His former bus driver, Marsha Moskowitz, told CNN affiliate WABC that he was "a nice kid, very polite" like his brother.
"It's a shock to even know (the family)," she said. "You can't understand what happened."
A relative told investigators that Lanza had a form of autism, according to a law enforcement official, who spoke under condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the investigation.
But a national autism committee cautioned against speculating about any link between autism and violence.
"Some public comments have drawn potentially inaccurate and stigmatizing conclusions about a link between the diagnosis and a propensity for violence and lack of empathy," according to a statement from the Autism Research Institute's Autistic Global Initiative Project.
"Autism is not a mental health disorder - it is a neurodevelopmental disorder. ... The eyes of the world are on this wrenching tragedy -- with 1 in 88 now diagnosed, misinformation could easily trigger increased prejudice and misunderstanding."
A former classmate told CNN affiliate WCBS that Lanza "was just a kid" -- not a troublemaker, not anti-social, not suggesting in any way that he could erupt like this.
"I don't know who would do anything like this," the classmate said, before walking away distraught. "This is unspeakable."
The suspect's father was also at a loss for explanation. He sent his condolences to the families of victims in a statement released Saturday.
"Our family is grieving along with all those who have been affected by this enormous tragedy," he said. "No words can truly express how heartbroken we are. We are in a state of disbelief and trying to find whatever answers we can."
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Many thanks for the updates.

"He was definitely the challenge of the family in that house. Every family has one," she told CNN affiliate WLS. "They have one. I have one. But never in trouble with the law, never in trouble with anything."
She said Lanza's mother "battled" with the school board and ended up having her son home-schooled.

Reminds me of our previous discussions about the dangers of home schooling in regard to Bushmeat Brown and her bizarre ideas.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:13 pm

you welcome bb1.
Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:52 pm

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37211315/ns/today-today_news/t/meet-ex-housewife-who-stalks-psycho-killers/#.UM3CoOR0D1o

Quote:

“I had no clue that this was coming down the pike. I had three children, and I had a great life. I was a home-schooling mom,” Brown told TODAY’s Ann Curry Tuesday in New York, where she was promoting her newest book, “The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers and Psychopaths.”
It all started for Brown in 1990 with a gruesome murder and a bizarre boarder. The two, Brown remains convinced to this day, were not unrelated.

----------

So, her children were cooped up with a lunatic who was convinced their lodger was a serial killer, getting no input from the rest of society. Let us not forget, this is the woman who thinks it is acceptable to beat up teenagers if they are 'asking for it', and who also thinks all music, except The Wheels On The Bus, is the work of Satan.

No, no danger of anything going wrong there. Let's hope she keeps her gun cabinet firmly locked.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:11 pm

I think Gun Cabinets need to be steel plated. He must have access to his mother's guns because he killed his mother with one of them.

Zahra Baker was Home Schooled, supposedly. And we all know what happened to her.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Sabot, I am suspicious of ANYONE who keeps their children away from the rest of society. Not in the sense of religious schools, or similar, I hasten to add, but actually in the home, with mommy 24/7.

It seems the killer did try to buy weapons - and was refused. So mommy could NOT have been keeping her arsenal secure, with a lock only she had the key for, or that only she knew the code for.

I have no intention of lecturing the US about gun laws - the UK is scarcely a shining example.

At least one person in the UK is killed by a firearm every week - it happens so often, it doesn't even make headlines any more.

AND THAT IS WITH OUR ULTRA-STRICT GUN LAWS.

Perhaps the UK government has taken the realistic, if cynical, view, that the public at large simply cannot be trusted with firearms, but due to us not actually having a constitution, it is simpler to implement firearms restrictions.

We certainly are not morally superior to the US, and I have no doubt that, if the UK government had been hampered by 200 year old laws, the death toll in the UK would be WORSE than that in the US.

With the smaller population, and restrictions, factored in, the citizens of the UK already manage to do more damage with firearms than US citizens.

We've certainly got more than our fair share of family annihilators - but thankfully, the killers cannot easily get their hands on an arsenal that would do Al Queda proud, so tend to stop after they have slaughtered their own innocent family.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:46 pm

There are ways to tighten Gun Laws without depriving normal people of the right to hunt.
And I don't understand either, why anyone should be allowed to keep an automatic weapon in their home, or even want to own one because it points to a leaning towards violence.

But having said that, anyone can get hold of a gun if they really want to. Both in UK and America.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Anyone who thinks that the UK is a shining example to the US over guns should try googling, Man shot dead in/any large UK city.

It doesn't even make headlines any more.

Agree, Sabot - why on earth would a middle-class, middle-aged, mom want automatic weapons in her home? That is a very long way from weaponry of the eighteenth century, or even a traditional, rural-type shotgun.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Victoria Soto Shot Dead After Saving Pupils
By Tom Parmenter, Sky Correspondent, in Connecticut | Sky News – 26 minutes ago
ANOTHER SCHOOL SHOOTING IN THE USA - Page 3 Soto-1-400x240-20121216-063205-148
The family of a teacher who died saving her own pupils have said she was a "true hero".
Victoria Soto, 27, managed to hide pupils in cupboards at the Sandy Hook Elementary School as the gunman Adam Lanza was killing others.
Ms Soto was then confronted by the gunman and she tried to convince him that her pupils were in a different part of the school.
She was then shot dead but her actions meant that many of her young students survived.
On Saturday night her family joined hundreds of people for a vigil in their hometown of Stratford, Connecticut.
Wiping away tears, her sibling Carlee Soto told the crowd: "My sister truly is a hero.
"I'm very proud to say she is my sister and we have definitely lost an amazing person.
"She died doing what she loved protecting the kids that meant the world to her."
Ms Soto's selfless act of bravery undoubtedly saved many young lives and has drawn worldwide admiration.
Close friend Kate McLaughlin, 27, started elementary school with Ms Soto and remained friends with her ever since.
She told Sky News: "I was hoping all day that she would update her Facebook to let us know she was OK and when we didn't hear anything I knew something was wrong."
Ms McLaughlin wasn't surprised when she learnt exactly what her friend had done.
"She shielded her children in the closet and took a bullet for them.
"She would have done this for anybody I don't want to say it makes it easier but it takes away a little bit of the pain we are all feeling."
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:44 pm

A brave, brave lady, LL.

I've noticed that the killer is being described as having 'mental health issues' - always a get-out, is that, as if it somehow absolves him of responsibility.

I don't find it acceptable, personally. He was sane enough to play video games. When mommy was homeschooling him, it might have been an idea to drill some sense of responsibility into his head, some concept of right and wrong, instead of entitlement.

He might then might have grasped that it is an act of evil, depraved cowardice to slaughter innocent children and their teachers.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:52 pm

http://www.examiner.com/article/morgan-freeman-s-view-of-the-sandy-hook-shootings-changes-everything

Morgan Freeman's view of the Sandy Hook shootings changes everything

Morgan Freeman's take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single 'victim' of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

-------------

He's right; you can bet your bottom dollar that some other moron is sitting in mommy's basement right now, playing Call of Duty in his black ninja outfit and eyeing up the family gun cabinet...
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Silva Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Pedro Silva
Pedro Silva
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:22 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/1026205/us-shooting-gunman-blasted-way-into-school

The cowardly little sh*t shot his way in, he wasn't let in, as first reported.

IMO, the coverage of this, and the inaccurate reporting, has been disgraceful; the mainstream media seems to have taken every bit of internet garbage as truth, without any attempt at finding out what really happened.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:26 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248983/Connecticut-school-shooting-Adam-Lanzas-survivalist-mother-obsessed-guns.html

If that is correct, then the killer's mother was one of those Prepper lunatics. Pity she hadn't devoted as much time to dinning civil responsibility, right and wrong, etc., into her son.

She certainly seems to have missed the lesson about slaughtering innocent children and their teachers being evil and cowardly.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Breakingnews From Fox News:

Worshippers flee Newtown church, say there was a bomb threat
Published December 16, 2012
Associated Press
NEWTOWN, Conn. – Worshippers have hurriedly left a church in Newtown, Conn., saying there was a bomb threat.
Police in SWAT gear arrived at the St. Rose of Lima Church not far from the elementary school where 20 kids and six adults were killed Friday.
There was no official report from police about the threat or evacuation.
It's not clear if there actually was a threat or if, like many tragedies, whether it was a hoax or the result of a community on edge.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks, LL. Poor souls, they are bound to be upset and nervous as it is.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:47 pm

More coming in about it now:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249056/Newtown-catholic-church-EVACUATED-threat-noon-mass.html

Wouldn't surprise me if it was some moron's idea of a 'joke'.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:12 pm

PAT BROWN ‏@ProfilerPatB
If media had not given attention to the Colorado mass murderer, the children in CT might be alive today.

I think she means, If the killer hadn't been homeschooled by his nutty, survivalist, prepper mother, who couldn't even keep her arsenal of weapons under lock and key, the children might be alive today.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:26 am

Gun control: Change is possible -- and fast
By Philip Alpers, Special to CNN
December 17, 2012 -- Updated 0546 GMT (1346 HKT)

In Australia, one massacre turned the tide in favor of gun control
Just 12 days after the shootings nationwide gun law reform announced
Alpers: Risk of dying by gunshot in Australia fell by more than 50% -- and stayed there
Editor's note: Philip Alpers is Adjunct Associate Professor at the Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney. A policy analyst in the public health effects of gun violence and small arms proliferation, his web site GunPolicy.org compares armed violence and gun laws, country by country.
Sydney, Australia (CNN) -- Could the leader of a democracy reverse his nation's slide toward the ever more permissive use of firearms and mandate stringent new gun control laws in less than a fortnight? Well, yes. One of America's loyal allies did just that -- and with massive voter support.
In a popular tourist spot at Port Arthur, Tasmania, in April 1996, a lone gunman killed 20 innocents with his first 29 bullets, all in the space of 90 seconds. This "pathetic social misfit," to quote the judge in the case, was empowered to achieve his final toll of 35 people dead and 18 seriously wounded by firing semi-automatic rifles originally advertised by the gun trade as "assault weapons." Now we discover that a similar military-style rifle enabled the Connecticut killer to add his name to the global list of gun horrors.
In his initial press briefing on the Connecticut mass shooting, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said "today is not the day" to talk about gun control. In 1996, Australians reacted with the opposite mass-majority voice, insisting: "Now IS the time."
Polls: Your thoughts on gun control

Philip Alpers
Australia's newly-elected prime minister at the time was John Howard. The country's most conservative leader in decades, openly proud of his pal status with George W. Bush, Prime Minister Howard led the then U.S. president to refer to his nation as America's "sheriff" in South East Asia.
Just like President Obama, Howard was seen to weep and to offer the nation's prayers in the wake of another gun massacre. But only 12 days after the shootings, in Howard's first major act of leadership and by far the most popular in his first year as prime minister, his government announced nationwide gun law reform.
Read more: Obama on assault weapons ban
Dan Gross and Steve Dulan on gun control
Attitudes to firearms and the regulations governing them had changed almost overnight. After a decade of gun massacres which saw 100 people shot dead and 38 wounded, Australians had overwhelmingly had enough of anyone with a grudge gaining easy, mostly legal access to weapons designed expressly to kill a lot of people in a very short time.
Photos: Connecticut school shooting
New legislation agreed to by all states and territories specifically addressed mass shootings: Rapid-fire rifles and shotguns were banned, gun owner licensing was tightened and remaining firearms were registered to uniform national standards.
Remembering the victims
In two nationwide, federally funded gun buybacks, plus large-scale voluntary surrenders and state gun amnesties both before and after Port Arthur, Australia collected and destroyed more than a million firearms, perhaps one-third of the national stock. No other nation had attempted anything on this scale.
State gov: There are no answers
It wasn't without cost to John Howard. Self-interest groups among his conservative base raised hell, and at one rural meeting in a country town, he became the first Australian prime minister to be photographed wearing a bullet-proof jacket.
But with statements like: "We do not want the American disease imported into Australia... Guns have become a blight on American society," Howard knew he was speaking for most Australians. Polling at the time measured public approval of his government's new gun laws at 90 to 95 per cent.
In the years after the Port Arthur massacre, the risk of dying by gunshot in Australia fell by more than 50% -- and stayed there. In the 16 years since the announcement of legislation specifically designed to reduce gun massacres, Australia has seen no mass shootings. Gun deaths which attract smaller headlines are 80 times more common, yet the national rate of gun homicide remains 30 times lower than that of the United States.
Analysis: Why gun controls are off the agenda in America
To claim cause and effect would be to stretch all this too far. Mass shootings are such rare events as to defy prediction, gun death rates were already falling, and John Howard's gun laws no more prevent every shooting than our traffic laws eliminate the road toll. The best we can say is that the results are encouraging, and suggest a way forward.
Beliefs and fears aside, death and injury by gunshot could be as amenable to public health intervention as road toll, drunken driving, tobacco-related disease and the spread of HIV/AIDS.
The obstructions to gun control are nothing new to public health. An industry and its self-interest groups focused on denial, the propagation of fear, and quasi-religious objections -- we've seen it all before. Barack Obama, at the center of a maelstrom of clashing convictions few foreigners can comprehend, deserves our sympathy.
But the future is there to see. With gun violence, as with HIV/AIDS, waste-of-time notions like evil, sin, blame and retribution could in time be sluiced away to allow proven public health procedures.
Given the opportunity and the effort, gun injury prevention might save lives as effectively as restricting access to explosives, and mandating child-safe lids on poison bottles.
Opinion: Put reason back in America's gun debate
The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Philip Alpers.
I watched this man talk on CNN asbout this, so I thought you might like to read his article. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks, LL.

For a start it takes much longer to kill a large number of people if an automatic weapon isn't involved, and puts the gunman more at risk from being shot himself before he can do too much damage. This could well put him off altogether, and remove the excitement and perceived glory. There is something somewhat mundane to going round popping off at people with a single shot weapon. If you see what I mean.
And what person in their right mind is going to demand the right to own automatic weapons? The demand alone is going to raise some serious questions about the stability of such people.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks, LL, that's a most interesting piece - and sensible, too.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Connecticut officials cautioned against the spread of false information on social media sites in the wake of Friday’s massacre.
Anyone who posts fake material about the rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School or killer Adam Lanza could face arrest, Connecticut State Police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance said at a press conference Sunday.
“There has been misinformation coming from people posing as the shooter in this case, using other IDs, mimicking this crime and crime scene,” Vance said, adding that some of the posts are of a “threatening manner.”
“It's important to note that we have discussed this with federal authorities. These things are crimes. They will be investigated and prosecuted.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/people-spreading-misinformation-sandy-hook-massacre-face-charges-police-article-1.1221554#ixzz2FJPpdwC3

It was very clear as the story of the murders unfolded that the internet was worse than useless, as so many morons were posting false information which the mainstream media was then repeating as 'truth', until the next bit of fabrication came along.

It is a very good thing the internet hadn't turned into a bloated monster on 9/11.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Did paranoid, gun-crazed mother trigger son's school killing spree? Friends say she believed world was on edge of collapse
Nancy Lanza portrayed as 'survivalist' who stockpiled food, water and guns
She was shot four times in the head, possibly as she slept, by her son
Collection of guns included handguns, assault rifle and two hunting rifles
Son Adam was reclusive, spending most of his time in adjoining bedrooms
Fiercely protective mother insisted he was never left on his own
Moved to Sandy Hook in around 1998 but Mrs Lanza and husband divorced
Funerals for the young victims are to begin today

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249185/Nancy-Lanza-Did-paranoid-gun-crazed-mother-trigger-Sandy-Hook-Connecticut-killing-spree.html#ixzz2FJdtOKH4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next