JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
News from Austria - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
News from Austria - Page 3 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
News from Austria - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
News from Austria - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
News from Austria - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
News from Austria - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
News from Austria - Page 3 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
News from Austria - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
News from Austria - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

News from Austria

+2
Sabot
lily
6 posters

Page 3 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 26  Next

Go down

News from Austria - Page 3 Empty Re: News from Austria

Post  bb1 Sun May 22, 2016 10:17 am

The only saving grace is that the bikers only shot at each other......
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon May 23, 2016 8:12 am

Absentee ballot count to decide Austrian election

VIENNA (AP) — With direct ballots counted but a final result still outstanding, Sunday's elections for Austria's presidency were too close to call a winner between a right-wing politician and a challenger whose views stand in stark opposition to his rival's anti-immigrant and Eurosceptic message.

https://www.mail.com/int/news/europe/4361516-absentee-ballot-count-to-decide-austrian-election.html#.1272-stage-hero1-2
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon May 23, 2016 3:37 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36362505

Austria far-right 'narrowly loses poll, electing Van der Bellen president' LL yaydance yaydance

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Mon May 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Mr Hofer led narrowly after Sunday's election but postal votes counted on Monday gave Mr Van der Bellen victory.

I hope Austrian postal votes are a bit more corruption-free than UK postal votes, which have turned into a bad joke.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon May 23, 2016 3:58 pm

Good for you, LL.  smile
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon May 23, 2016 5:16 pm

lily wrote:Good for you, LL.  smile
Thanks, lily, I voted for Van der Bellen. Hofer is far right and his party is the old neo-nazi one. Le Pen of France, Wilders of Nederlands and other far righters were gloating in advance - bet they are spitting feathers.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon May 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Here you go....Champers
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Mon May 23, 2016 5:26 pm

lily wrote:Here you go....Champers
Thank you, care to join me? LL hug Champers
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon May 23, 2016 5:31 pm

I thought you would never ask.......
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed May 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed May 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Ministry official Robert Stein on Wednesday cited party officials, who said that the count began too early in and around the southern Austrian city of Villach. Alexander Van der Bellen won the election by only about 30,000 votes and the Freedom Party has suggested it may demand a recount, but are waiting for the probe to end first

Oh Lord. I hope it is all fair and square, LL, or it could cause appalling trouble, couldn't it?

I believe the UK system has been tightened up now, but previously, the postal votes were wide open to abuse and fraud - and abused they were, in a few constituencies.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed May 25, 2016 4:54 pm

bb1 wrote:Oh Lord. I hope it is all fair and square, LL, or it could cause appalling trouble, couldn't it?

I believe the UK system has been tightened up now, but previously, the postal votes were wide open to abuse and fraud - and abused they were, in a few constituencies.

They were neck and neck at 50% each, then the postal votes were added and they gave Van Der Bellen a lead, admittedly by only 30,000 votes.   I have used the postal vote many times as I am eligible to vote in |Vienna as a house owner and with my dual nationality.     Don't remember there being any problems before - I sense others, ie Le Pen and Wilders, suggesting to Hofer and hard right wingers that it was rigged.    The hard right in other countries were sure Hofer would win, must have been enraged when he lost by a small margin.   LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Austria, Balkan nations, want full stop to migrant influx

VIENNA (AP) — Overwhelmed by a wave of refugees and what they call indecision in the European Union, Austria and its southern neighbors along the Balkan migrant route agreed to tighter border controls at a meeting Wednesday — and warned that sooner or later they will have to shut their doors entirely.   Full story at link.

http://www.mail.com/int/news/europe/4162328-austria-balkan-nations-want-full-to-migrant-influx.html#.4392248-stage-related1-2

Austria suggests interning migrants on Greek islands

BERLIN (AP) — Austria's foreign minister is proposing interning migrants on Greek islands. In a newspaper interview, Sebastian Kurz says Europe could copy Australia's model of intercepting migrant boats offshore — either sending them back or keeping them in island camps until their asylum claims have been processed.

http://www.mail.com/int/news/europe/4392248-austria-suggests-interning-migrants-greek-islands.html#.1258-stage-hero1-3
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Those are very stern words - and I am not surprised, frankly. The migrants haven't exactly endeared themselves to anyone.

Merkel and those damned do-gooding meddlers that shouted Refugees Welcome! should hang their heads in shame for causing this - and encouraging human traffickers.

Also, Greece has one of the biggest navies in the EU - they could have turned the boats back, had they chosen to, instead of waving hundreds of thousands of people ashore and pointing them at Germany, supposed land of milk and honey
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:20 pm

High referendum turnout likely among Brits in Austria
Jeff Djevdet/Creative Commons
Published: 07 Jun 2016 15:53 GMT+02:00

The Local Austria has carried out a survey to get an idea of how many British people living in Austria have registered to vote in the upcoming EU referendum.

Of those who replied to our online poll, 70 percent said they were registered and had already applied to vote by the end of June.

A further 21 percent said they were unable to vote due to having lived outside the UK for over 15 years.

Three percent said they had registered but had not yet applied to vote but six percent said they had not registered at all.

In the last general election, less than two percent of British people living overseas registered to vote. In numbers, this was 106,000 of the 5.5 million people living abroad.

It is thought that much higher numbers of those living abroad will vote in the upcoming referendum, with particularly high numbers of those living in Europe who will be most affected by an "exit" outcome.

Tuesday June 7th is the last day to register for a proxy vote for the EU referendum. The deadline for registering for a postal vote has already passed, but postal votes can be accepted right up until 10 p.m. on the day of the referendum, June 23rd.

There are concerns among people living on the continent that European postal services are not recognising the pre-paid envelopes provided by the British government for people to send their postal votes in.

The Local Germany have spoken to several British people living in Germany who had been forced to pay for extra postage. One said that despite him pointing at the “no stamp required” label, the postal worker insisted on the charge.

Recently in France online expat threads have featured cries of complaints from people whose prepaid envelopes for their referendum postal votes have not been recognized by postal workers there, with some people being told a stamp was “definitely needed”.

Some British people living in Austria warned others online that the “Post [is] not free!” and people should be prepared to pay for a stamp. However, the majority of those commenting online said they had had no problems and were told by employees at the Austrian Post that they did not need to pay.

A spokeswoman for the Austrian Post confirmed to the Local Austria that the postal votes can be sent free of charge, adding that the staff should know this and are well trained.

They said they had not received any complaints but “would really like to apologize” if a staff member made a mistake.

Separately, there are also concerns among some British voters in Austria that they have yet to receive their postal vote from the relevant local authority in the UK.

Writing on Facebook, Corin D. said her local authority told her they had sent her postal vote out on May 17th, although it had still not arrived by June 7th.

"I never received my postal vote for the general election and I will be furious if I can't vote this time," she said.  

Interesting about the 'free post' - I decided that, as the Magyar post tends to get confused over this. I would put a stamp on mine, in Austria the most would be 2 Euros, circa £1.60. As for the non-arrival of the voting papers, we have had no problems here. LL

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:23 pm

Very wise, LL - I too would assume that putting a stamp on was the safest thing to do; I never entirely trust Freepost even in the UK.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:19 pm

http://www.thelocal.at/20160608/austrias-far-right-file-legal-challenge-to-presidential-election
Austria's far-right file legal challenge to election
Published: 08 Jun 2016 10:39 GMT+02:00

Austria's anti-immigration Freedom Party filed Wednesday a legal challenge after its candidate narrowly lost out on being elected the EU's first far-right president, alleging "terrifying" irregularities.

"We are not sore losers. This is about protecting the very foundations of democracy... The extent of irregularities is more than terrifying," FPOe leader Heinz-Christian Strache told a news conference in Vienna.

"You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to have a bad gut feeling about this whole election... Without these glitches and irregularities (FPOe candidate Norbert) Hofer could have become president."

Alexander Van der Bellen, an independent backed by the ecologist Green Party, defeated Hofer in May 22's runoff by just 30,863 votes, prompting relief among Europe's struggling centrist politicians.

Preliminary results released that evening had given a narrow lead to gun enthusiast Hofer, 54, presented as the friendly face of the FPOe, but who is highly critical of Islam and the EU.

However after some 700,000 postal votes -- a record number -- were counted, Van der Bellen, 72, was declared the winner of the largely ceremonial but coveted presidency the next day.

Authorities have said they were investigating several cases of alleged election irregularities. For the most part, however, they concerned postal votes being opened too early.

The Greens said Wednesday that the FPOe "has failed to present one single concrete case of a vote being miscounted". Procedural problems "need to be avoided in future but are not electoral fraud".

But Strache, flanked by two lawyers, said Wednesday that the law had been broken in 94 of Austria's 117 constituencies, including 82 where postal votes were counted too early, representing over 570,000 votes.

The constitutional court has four weeks -- until July 6 -- to decide if the FPOe's 150-page challenge stands up. The election could in theory be held again partially or in its entirety.

This could make for a tense wait with Van der Bellen set to be sworn in on July 8. Court spokesman Christian Neuwirth said it was "getting straight down to work" in order to finish well in time.

Far-right Facebook furore

Hofer -- absent at Wednesday's news conference -- for his part accepted defeat on May 23 but Strache has been crying foul ever since the result was announced.

Strache's popular Facebook page -- "liked" by 370,000 people -- has been inundated with calls for him to challenge the outcome.

He was however obliged to call on supporters to tone down their comments after some called for violence and Van der Bellen's address was published, reportedly prompting extra police protection.

Mirroring populists elsewhere, the FPOe has tapped into unease about immigration and the faltering economy to win support principally from poorer, less educated voters but also across the board.

Austria last year saw 90,000 people claim asylum, the second-highest number per capita in the EU, while around 10 times as many passed through at the height of Europe's migrant crisis.

The FPOe is also looking ahead to the next general elections, due in 2018, leading opinion polls with more than 30 percent.

The two centrist parties in the governing coalition look set to fall short of a majority, despite being headed by popular new Chancellor Christian Kern since mid-May.

Next week far-right politicians from across Europe are due to meet in Vienna, including Marine Le Pen from France's National Front, who will run for president in 2017.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:37 pm

Great, more chaos and uncertainity - though I am not surprised it's been challenged. If the result had been the other way round, the Greens would have been justified in challenging it.

You know, I remember when voting used to be simple....
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Oh you mean at a time before computers?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

News from Austria - Page 3 Empty s Migrant spat brews between Austria and Hungary

Post  Lamplighter Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:48 am

Published: 09 Jun 2016 19:31 GMT+02:00

Hungary refused on Thursday to take back any of the several thousand migrants that Austria says should be returned under EU rules, adding to a brewing spat between the two neighbours.

"(It) is clear that Hungary cannot take back these migrants," Defence Minister Istvan Simicsko told a joint news conference in Budapest with visiting Austrian counterpart Hans Peter Doskozil.

"In order to take them back they would have had to begin their journey here. But... they crossed several countries before arriving in Hungary. They didn't suddenly get here by magic, they  crossed several safe countries", including Greece, Simicsko said.

Under the European Union's much-criticised Dublin Treaty, asylum claims must be processed by the first EU member state in which refugees arrive. Several countries have suspended sending them back to Greece however.

Austria, which saw 90,000 people claim asylum last year, the second highest per capita in the EU, says that there are several thousand migrants that Hungary should take back.

The Austrian defence ministry says around 150 migrants arrive in Austria every day from Hungary -- where most of them are registered -- having travelled from Greece through Macedonia, Bulgaria and Serbia.

Currently Austria is not sending any back to Hungary following a court decision last September that prevented an Afghan family being returned because of "inhumane conditions" in Hungary.

An Austrian interior ministry spokesman, Karl-Heinz Grundboeck, said however that this concerned an individual case and did not prevent people being sent back in the future.

"We have very clear expectations of Hungary. Hungary is after all a member of the EU, the Schengen zone and is party to Dublin. Of course our expectation is that in a Europe with this legal framework, returns to Hungary are possible," Grundboeck told AFP.

He said that ministry officials would travel to Hungary later this month. A meeting of the interior and defence ministers of Austria, Hungary and Slovenia is planned soon, the Austria Press Agency reported.

Hungary has long been criticised for its treatment of migrants, having sealed its border with Serbia last year with razor wire and making illegal border crossing a criminal offence punishable by jail.

This week the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) sharply criticised Hungary for conditions at a makeshift transit camp on the border with Serbia for people waiting to be admitted into Hungarian "transit zones".

"We remain concerned about Hungary's restrictive approaches and the dire situation asylum-seekers face outside the transit zones. Currently, only 15-17 people are admitted daily at each zone, leaving hundreds to suffer day and night without any proper support at the EU border," said Samar Mazloum, head of UNHCR's local field office.

"The current approach makes it very easy for human traffickers to further exploit desperate refugees and pushes them to take more dangerous routes when legal ways are shut."  
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:01 am

Far-right file case against Austrian media for 'Nazi' claim

http://www.thelocal.at/20160614/far-right-file-case-against-austrian-media-for-nazi-claim

Many know the late Austrian actress Hedy Lamarr as the most beautiful star from the Hollywood era of the 1930s, 40s and 50s.
Few people know, however, that she also invented a communication system used in the cold war that paved the way for wireless phones and WiFi.

http://www.thelocal.at/20160614/the-untold-story-of-the-genius-of-hedy-lamarr
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:44 am

Oddly, LL, the Hedy Lamarr story has always stuck in my head since I first heard it - I was impressed by her sharp mind, and also her modesty, in not boasting about it.

I have to say, I do wish the Left would stop this 'literally Hitler' business, and calling anyone that dares point out the perils of unrestricted immigration, 'nazis' - IMO, it cheapens what the real Nazis did.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Zoo animals offer up footie skills to Austrian team

News from Austria - Page 3 A90c1a4754c1d020139335a290c23fe08dd7c27b39f4ec5beab7a762fc137e49

News from Austria - Page 3 1465981911_Daniel_Zupanc_Fu%C3%9FballEM_Tiger

News from Austria - Page 3 1465981949_ORF_Fu%C3%9FballEM_Schurli

http://www.thelocal.at/20160615/zoo-animals-celebrate-austrian-euro-2016-debut  
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Aw! smile
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

News from Austria - Page 3 Empty SCHÖNBRUNN ZOO IN VIENNA - IS THE OLDEST EXISTING ZOO IN THE WORLD

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:44 pm

And also there is the most unusual aquarium, just round the corner from my flat and right in the center of the city, housed in a flak tower built by the Nazis at the beginning of WW2. LL

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 26  Next