JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy

+4
greenink211
Sabot
Lamplighter
bb1
8 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  Empty Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy

Post  bb1 Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:54 pm

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16249887

Wikileaks Founder Seeks Asylum From Ecuador

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has sought political asylum at the Ecuadorian embassy in London, according to the South American nation's foreign minister.

Mr Assange has been fighting extradition from the UK to Sweden, where he faces allegations of sexual assault.
He reportedly walked into the Ecuadorian mission in Knightsbridge and made his request for asylum under the United Nations Human Rights Declaration.
Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino said Ecuador was considering the request.
The Supreme Court decided on May 30 that Mr Assange's extradition would be lawful and could go ahead but he was given time to consider his response to the judgement.
While awaiting the Supreme Court decision, the Wikileaks founder hosted a talk show on the Kremlin-funded news channel Russia Today during which Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa was one of his guests.
Swedish authorities want him to answer accusations that he raped one woman and sexually molested and coerced another in Stockholm in August 2010 while on a visit to give a lecture.
Mr Assange has not been charged over the allegations and denies any wrongdoing. He claims the accusations are politically motivated because the release of classified documents on his website has angered the US.
In 2010, amid the furore over Wikileak's release of more than 250,000 classified US State Department cables, Ecuador's deputy foreign minister invited Mr Assange to live and lecture in the country.
Kintto Lucas told local media that the Australian, who was at that point believed to be in hiding, could be given Ecuadorian residency.
More to follow...
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  Empty Re: Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 am

Australia sanguine on Assange-to-Ecuador, would fight US extradition

Reasons for Ecuadorian escapade emerge
By Simon Sharwood, APAC Editor : Posted in Law, 20th June 2012 00:41 GMT

Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard says Julian Assange’s decision to seek political asylum in Ecuador is a matter for Assange and not something Australia needs to comment on.

“Mr Assange’s choices are a matter for Mr Assange,” Gillard told a press conference at the G20 meeting in Mexico. “His decisions are for him to make.”

Gillard also said that any extradition to the USA, where Assange could face the death penalty, are hypothetical. “The matters Mr Assange faces are of a sexual complaints nature involving the laws of Sweden,” she pointed out, and refused to speculate on whether extradition to the USA could take place from Sweden.

She did, however, point out that Australia opposes extradition to jurisdictions where the death penalty is enforced. Australia would therefore oppose any such extradition of Julian Assange.

“Let’s be very clear,” Gillard said. “Australia opposes extradition in death penalty cases and would do it for any Australian citizen. The position of the Australian government on death penalty cases is well known and applies to every Australian citizen.”

Asked why Assange has felt it necessary to apply for asylum in Ecuador, Gillard said the WikiLeaks founder has enjoyed extensive consular assistance from Australia and will continue to enjoy it.

Australia’s Attorney-General has declined to comment on the matter, saying it’s one for the Foreign Minister. He, inconveniently, was on a plane as the news of Assange’s bolt broke.

Why Ecuador?
Since Assange’s announcement the world media has tried to figure out just why the silver-haired hacker has chosen Ecuador as his intended destination.

One fine reason is that while Ecuador has an extradition treaty with the USA, it does not apply to political cases. Assange could therefore reside in the tropical nation without fear of being dragged kicking and screaming to the USA.

We found what appears to be a copy of the treaty here(we're confident it's the treaty as it bears all the appropriate statute numbers). Here’s the relevant clause:

Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  Ecuador_usa_extradition_treaty

Ecuador’s foreign ministry has posted a statement in which it quotes Assange as saying, in a letter, that he has been subject to:

"regrettable factual statement of abandonment received by the authorities of my country, Australia, who state that they will not defend even my minimum guarantees before any government and delegate in the constitution of a foreign country that applies the death penalty for the crime of espionage and treason, and the guarantees it offers to its nationals, ignoring the obligation to protect its citizens, who is persecuted politically.”

The constant mention of political persecution, rather than conventional law-breaking, is surely notable as Assange tries to position himself as a prisoner of conscience.

The Ecuadorian connection runs deep, too. Assange has also interviewed and exchanged letters with Ecuadorian President Raffael Corea, who got very grumpy indeed with the USA over some diplomatic cables exposed by WikiLeaks. The pair seem to share some political positions.

Ecuadorian officials have also, in the past, called for Assange to be granted asylum in the nation. Time's man in Quito suggests that could be for domestic political reasons, as the left-leaning government has been harsh on media and could be looking to bolster its open government credentials.

Ecuadorian Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino has issued a statement in which he says:

“The Government of Ecuador is evaluating the request of Mr. Julian Assange and any decision on it will take into account respect for the rules and principles of the International Law and the traditional policy of Ecuador to safeguard human rights.”

For now, that safeguarding will at least take place in a rather nice bit of London, but as the Ecuadorian Embassy offers its address as a flat, we imagine Assange will be sleeping on a spare bed rather than living in the lap of luxury.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy  Empty Re: Assange seeks asylum....in Ecuador Embassy

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:06 am

What I don't undersand about all this is why? He is wanted for questioning in Sweden, not trial, which will be decided if he has a case to answer. As far as I can see, the only person who has ever brought up the extradition to the USA is Assange; the Swdes have repeatedly said they want him for 'for interview re charges made against him' with no mention of onward extradition to the US.

I found this:

US claims ‘no interest’ in Assange
Get short URL email story to a friend print version
Published: 01 June, 2012, 15:46

The US has no interest in Julian Assange, insists America’s ambassador to Australia. The statement comes as the WikiLeaks founder grasps his last chance before extradition to Sweden, which he fears will pave the way for further rendition to the US.

The US ambassador to Australia, Jeffrey Bleich, rejected as “an invention” claims that Washington was preparing a warrant for the arrest of Julian Assange, an Australian national currently under house arrest in Britain, over WikiLeaks' role in publishing thousands of secret US diplomatic cables last year.

“There is no such thing as a secret warrant. Period. They don't exist,” Bleich told the Australian national public broadcaster ABC on Thursday. “It's not something that the US cares about. It's not interested in it.”

Meanwhile, the website “Justice for Assange” claims exactly the opposite.
“Stratfor [the global intelligence company] emails have revealed that a sealed indictment has been issued by a secret grand jury in Alexandria, Virginia, for Julian Assange,” says the message. “The email is dated 26 January 2011. This means that there has likely been a sealed extradition order for over a year, which will be activated (unsealed) against Assange in Sweden, Australia and the UK when the US Government gives the order.”

Bleich also said Assange’s extradition to Sweden does not pose any advantages to the US. “And frankly if he is in Sweden then there is a less robust extradition relationship than there is between the US and the UK,” Bleich was cited by the media. “So I think it's one of those narratives that has been made up. There is nothing to it.”

But Assange and his legal team fear there is a “real risk” he could be extradited to the US, where he could end up being tortured in a high-security American prison or even face the death penalty.

His defense activists also give counter-arguments to Jeffrey Bleich’s contention that it would be more difficult for his country to get Assange from Sweden than from the UK. They maintain that Assange will face much tougher times in Sweden.

“Public opinion and the media (to a greater extent) are more sympathetic to Julian Assange in the UK than in Sweden,” they write. “Public pressure could draw out the process of extradition to the US in the UK. In Sweden the media climate is hostile due to the sex allegations [Assange is facing there]. Public outcry would be significantly weaker and therefore less likely to stand in the way of a strategically convenient extradition.”

They are sure that in the UK, Julian Assange is better able to defend himself, muster support and understand the legal procedures against him. While in Sweden on the other hand, the language barrier prevents him from effectively challenging the actions he faces. [my comment on this - English is widely spoken in Sweden, so the argument re the language is spurious.]

“The UK is politically better positioned to withstand pressure from the United States than Sweden,” they write. “Sweden is a small country of 9 million people close to Russia. It has grown increasingly dependent on the United States. In recent years Sweden has complied with directives from the United States in a manner that has not been scrutinized by Parliament, as has been revealed by the disclosed diplomatic cables [on WikiLeaks].”

The defense team also fears if eventually Assange ends up he US he would be on trial in the same manner as Private Bradley Manning. The latter is currently facing court-martial for handing over classified documents to the whistleblower’s website. Assange is wanted in Stockholm for questioning over sex crime allegations. On Wednesday, he lost his 18-month marathon court battle in the UK Supreme Court. However, the judges granted him 14 days to make an application to reopen the extradition case.

Assange does not deny that he had sex with two WikiLeaks volunteers in Sweden while attending a WikiLeaks seminar, but insists the sex was consensual and argues there are political motives behind the attempts to extradite him.

Shortly after the extradition verdict, Assange's mother, Christine Assange, who flew to London for the occasion, accused the Australian government of failing to give her son proper support.

“[They have been] absolutely useless. In fact, contrary to help, they've done everything they can to smear Julian and hand him up to the US,” she told the ABC from London.

Australia argued it can not affect the process, but would closely monitor the case.
“The Australian government cannot interfere in the judicial processes of other governments, but we will closely monitor the proceedings against Mr. Assange in Sweden,” a spokeswoman for Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs said, commenting on the court’s decision to extradite Assange.

A coincidence it might seem, but US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is set to visit Stockholm just four days after the UK court ruling, to discuss green energy, internet freedom, Afghanistan and the Middle East.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:26 am

Breakingnews Breakingnews

According to the BBC, he has broken the terms of his bail by entering the Embassy; a police van is now stationed outside the Embassy; if he comes out they will arrest him. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:05 am

Personally, I think he has got quite a lot to worry about, and I do not like the way in which America is making use of Extradition Laws. What I think of him personally is neither here nor there. I do not blame him for trying to protect himself.
But what I would like to know is if they grant him Political Asylum how are they going to get him to Ecuador?
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 am

What an ar@e! IMO, he is acting like a man who knows full well he is guilty of the rape charges.

It's one thing being a free speech anti-establishment martyr; it's entirely another being a convicted sex offender.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  greenink211 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:28 am

A quick google doesn't show much in the way of information to answer that question, although others are asking it on legal forums.

The only example I have found (though there must be many more.surely) is a Catholic Cardinal who applied for US asylum in 1956 in Hungary and had to live in the Embassy there for 15 years till the authorities let him leave the country. That couldn't happen these days because the US has a blanket ban on allowing asylum applications in their embassies.

I wouldn't have thought that was an option for Assange in Ecuadorian Embassy in London though because I suspect that Flat 3B in that block behind Harrods which is what the Embassy consists of would not have the facilities of a US Embassy and would get a bit claustrophobic very quickly. There isn't even a garden.

Last edited by greenink211 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
greenink211
greenink211
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:36 am

I am rather with LL, I am none too convinced that there is a genuine extradition attempt being made by the US. Phrases such as 'it is likely' and references to supposed secret legal decisions should be taken with a pinch of salt.

And as for this rubbish about poor little Sweden and language barriers - ridiculous!

Was al-Megrahi extradited to the States? No, thought not.

IMO this is a load of nonsense, being emitted by Assange's fans, because being a martyr to the Great Satan is preferable to being a sex offender.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:40 am

He is not in any danger, ma petite, all he's wanted for is to answer rape accusations, for which he has not yet been charged in Sweden. I checked with a legal buddy in Norway, where the laws are basically the same as in Sweden, and he is of the opinion that, had Assange not done a runner but accepted to be questioned then, if there were charges to be answered, he would have been given a fair trial in Sweden. My friend pointed out that Bradley Manning is accused of giving secret/classified documents to Wikileaks, which is a serious offence in the USA, Assange is not being accused of the same offence, in fact he isn't being accused of anything according to US Law. From my reading of all this, he is more than likely guilty of the Swedish offences, and is using possible US extradition as a way out. He is a media whore, he is on a par with bennett in that he will twist anything around to get himself out of a possible prosecution. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:49 am

The only example I have found (though there must be many more.surely) is a Catholic Cardinal who applied for US asylum in 1956 in Hungary and had to live in the Embassy there for 15 years till the authorities let him leave the country.

That was Cardinal Mindszenty who was accused of having backed the Hungarian Uprising; the Soviets wanted him dead, the US gave him sanctuary after the Hungarians helped him get there. He is much revered in Hungary for his stance (all his life) against totalitarianism. LL

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  greenink211 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:51 am

Lamplighter wrote:
The only example I have found (though there must be many more.surely) is a Catholic Cardinal who applied for US asylum in 1956 in Hungary and had to live in the Embassy there for 15 years till the authorities let him leave the country.

That was Cardinal Mindszenty who was accused of having backed the Hungarian Uprising; the Soviets wanted him dead, the US gave him sanctuary after the Hungarians helped him get there. He is much revered in Hungary for his stance (all his life) against totalitarianism. LL

I agree, not a good example to use as a comparison with the Assange situation but the only one I could actually find.

greenink211
greenink211
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks, Greenink. I am trying to look at this from a Legal perspective, and whatever he appears to have done in Sweden doesn't appear to be a Crime in England. So according to French Extradition Laws he would not be Extradited.

He was questioned in Sweden and then allowed to leave.

But being stuck in a flat in London doesn't sound like my idea of fun.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:56 am

I know his careless release of confidential material endangered lives in one or two hotspots, but otherwise, it turned into the biggest damp squib ever.

Can anyone remember much about what was released, apart from the McCann cable, without looking it up? I can't.

I suspect Assange has had his fifteen minutes, and he simply isn't worth the trouble of trying to extradite him to the States. As the man said,

“It's not something that the US cares about. It's not interested in it.”

Assange has left the foolish Bradley to carry the can in the States, so they have got their culprit.

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:59 am

Most people seeking sanctuary are political refugees, like the blind Chinese man who recently took refuge in the Beijing Embassy. Assange is not being accused of a political crime, but of a possible, and I stress possible, sexual crime as, so far, these are only allegations. However, his reactions over the past year make me certain he dare not go to Sweden, not because of any extradition by the US, but because he dare not, the evidence being too great. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Sabot wrote:He was questioned in Sweden and then allowed to leave.

Assange left Sweden in 2010 after being called in for police questioning regarding allegations of sexual assault and rape. Swedish authorities then issued a Europe-wide arrest warrant - I understand he ran before he could be questioned, though he did offer to answer by video link from London. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:16 pm

He's done it this time;

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16249887

Assange Facing Arrest After Asylum Bid

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is facing arrest for breaching his bail conditions after seeking political asylum inside the Ecuadorian Embassy in London.

The Australian is facing extradition from the UK to Sweden to face accusations of rape and sexual assault.
The 40-year-old went to the building near Harrods in Knightsbridge on Tuesday afternoon and requested asylum under the United Nations Human Rights Declaration.
The South American country's foreign minister Ricardo Patino said it was considering his request.
In a short statement, Mr Assange said: "I can confirm that today I arrived at the Ecuadorian Embassy and sought diplomatic sanctuary and political asylum. This application has been passed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the capital Quito.

"I am grateful to the Ecuadorian ambassador and the government of Ecuador for considering my application."
The computer expert, who was on £200,000 bail after losing several attempts to halt extradition, attracted several high-profile supporters, including film director Ken Loach and socialite and charity fundraiser Jemima Khan, who each offered £20,000 as surety.
A condition of Mr Assange's bail was to remain at a registered address between 10pm and 8am.

The Metropolitan Police have said they are aware that Mr Assange has now broken this condition and as a result he is now subject to arrest.
The Swedish authorities want him to answer accusations of raping a woman and sexually molesting and coercing another in Stockholm in August 2010 while on a visit to give a lecture.
Ms Khan wrote on Twitter: "I had expected him to face the allegations. I am surprised as anyone by this."
Mr Assange, whose WikiLeaks website has published a mass of leaked diplomatic cables that embarrassed several governments and international businesses, says the sex was consensual and the allegations against him are politically motivated.
He has until June 28 to ask European judges in Strasbourg to consider his case and postpone extradition on the basis that he has not had a fair hearing from the UK courts.
A statement issued on behalf of the Ecuadorian Embassy said Mr Assange would remain at the embassy while his request was considered.

"As a signatory to the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, with an obligation to review all applications for asylum, we have immediately passed his application on to the relevant department in Quito," it said.

"The decision to consider Mr Assange's application for protective asylum should in no way be interpreted as the government of Ecuador interfering in the judicial processes of either the United Kingdom or Sweden."
The Foreign Office said: "As Mr Assange is in the Ecuadorian embassy, he is on diplomatic territory and beyond the reach of the British police.
"We will seek to work with the Ecuadorian authorities to resolve the situation as soon as possible."
At a news conference in Ecuador, Mr Patino said that Mr Assange had written to the country's president, Rafael Correa, saying he was being persecuted and seeking asylum

bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Jemima Khan ‏@Jemima_Khan
@iankatz1000 Yes. I had expected him to face the allegations. I am as surprised as anyone by this.

Not surprised - is that her twenty grand down the drain?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:28 pm

From the BBC website:

Q&A: Julian Assange and asylum
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, who is facing extradition from the UK to Sweden over rape and sexual assault allegations, has spent a night in the Ecuadorian embassy in London after claiming asylum.

Police have said that by spending the night at the embassy he has breached his bail conditions and faces arrest, while Ecuadorian authorities said they were "studying and analysing" his request. So, what are the issues surrounding asylum requests?

Who can claim asylum?

Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states: "Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution."

The European Convention on Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights also enshrine this law.

Why can't police arrest Julian Assange at the embassy?

Local police and security forces are not permitted to enter an embassy unless they have the express permission of the ambassador - even though the embassy remains the territory of the host nation.

This rule was set out in 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations when it codified a custom in place for centuries by establishing the "rule of inviolability".

The Foreign Office has said that by being at the embassy, Mr Assange is on diplomatic territory and beyond the reach of police.

What is Julian Assange claiming?

The Ecuadorian embassy says Mr Assange arrived at the embassy seeking political asylum from the Ecuadorian government.

Mr Assange fears if he is sent to Sweden it may then lead to him being sent to the US to face charges over Wikileaks, for which he could face the death penalty.

An embassy is obliged to consider whether there is a real risk that the person could be killed or seriously injured if they were handed over to the local authorities. And if there is, they may be held accountable if they surrender that person.

What is diplomatic asylum?

In a broad sense, according to the UN, it is protection which is granted by a country outside its own borders, and particularly through its diplomatic missions. There has been a long history of it within Latin America.

After claiming asylum, does a person have to stay in the embassy?

Some asylum seekers have spent a great deal of time within embassy compounds. Cardinal Jozesf Mindszenty spent 15 years in the US embassy in Budapest following the Soviet crackdown in 1956 in Hungary, before eventually entering exile in Austria.

"He [Mr Assange] can stay in the embassy and we can't enter it without the permission of the ambassador. Cardinal Mindszenty... was over 15 years in the US embassy in Hungary," Mr Aust told the BBC.

"I hope that doesn't happen here. They can hold him for 15 years, or 20 years or 30 years in the embassy if they want to. We can only close down the embassy if that happened, which means the embassy no longer has any diplomatic asylum."

Mr Aust said there was no physical way to get Mr Assange from the embassy to Ecuador itself without the risk of him being arrested by UK police.

Why Julian Assange turned to Ecuador for help
By Irene Caselli
Quito, Ecuador

Julian Assange interviewed Ecuador's President Rafael Correa in April 2012

This year Ecuador made headlines internationally for what critics said was a government crackdown on private media.

Editorials appeared in major newspapers, including The New York Times and The Washington Post, saying that President Rafael Correa was leading a relentless campaign against free speech.

So the decision by Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to seek asylum at Ecuador's embassy in London might seem odd.

However, it does not come entirely out of the blue.

In November 2010, Ecuador's former deputy foreign minister Kintto Lucas spoke of granting Mr Assange residency in the country so he could "freely present the information he possesses".

A few weeks later, Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino and President Rafael Correa backtracked, saying Mr Lucas was speaking "on his own behalf."

At the time Mr Correa said Wikileaks had "committed an error by breaking the laws of the United States and leaking this type of information."

But over the past year and a half, Mr Assange has remained in close contact with Ecuador's embassy in London, and Mr Correa seems to have changed his mind.

'Club of the persecuted'

Mr Assange conducted an interview with President Correa in April for his TV show on Russia Today, an English language channel funded by the Russian government.

During the interview, the Ecuadorean president repeatedly praised Wikileaks and its work.

President Correa argues that private media are trying to undermine his government
Mr Assange and Mr Correa also bonded over issues such as freedom of speech and the negative role of mainstream media.

"Cheer up! Cheer up! Welcome to the club of the persecuted!" said Mr Correa at the end of the amicable exchange, which lasted 75 minutes.

Mr Correa was initially critical of Wikileaks and argued that the leaked cables were trying to destabilise the country.

But his attitude to Wikileaks changed.

In April 2011, the government expelled US Ambassador Heather Hodges following the release of a leaked cable in which she suggested Mr Correa was aware of corruption allegations against a senior policeman when he made him commander of the national police force

Washington responded by expelling the Ecuadorean ambassador.

Diplomatic relations have since been re-established.

Smart move?

President Correa says he is a victim of the private media in Ecuador, which has historically served the interests of the country's economic elites.

But his actions have brought international scrutiny.

Earlier this year, Mr Correa won two separate multi-million dollar lawsuits against journalists for libel.

El Universo newspaper was fined $40m (£25m) and its owners given a three-year jail term.

In a separate lawsuit, two investigative journalists were fined $10m (£6.3m) for discrediting Mr Correa's good name in a book detailing government contracts that benefited the president's older brother.

Following international pressure, Mr Correa pardoned the journalists and the newspaper.

Mr Correa, in office since 2007 and set to seek re-election in 2013, enjoys high levels of popularity in the country.

Granting Julian Assange asylum could be a smart political move by Mr Correa ahead of the election.

It may give him a chance to clear his bad track record when it comes to the media by protecting Mr Assange, who is seen by some as a champion of freedom of speech.

But more practical considerations may also weigh on Mr Correa's mind.

"The president has to make a very hard choice and take into the account relations with the US," Grace Jaramillo, international relations professor at the Latin American Faculty of Social Studies in Quito, told the BBC.

Ecuador has a preferential trade agreement with the US on some 1,300 goods and that deal is up for renewal in January.
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:58 pm

If The US isn't interested in Assange then Ecuador doesn't need to worry about that, do they.

Sorry, I know my opinion isn't popular, but I do feel a trifle strongly about this. But I won't go into a rant about this because I don't want to offend anyone.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:48 pm

I think the problem is, Sabot, that the only people saying the US genuinely wants Assange, are Assange and co? Maybe the US does, but if it doesn't, then some huge whoppers are being told.

As ever, time will tell.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:51 pm

I think he is manipulating everything by saying that he will receive the death penalty if he goes. I don't believe it personally.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:12 pm

lily wrote:I think he is manipulating everything by saying that he will receive the death penalty if he goes. I don't believe it personally.

No, Lily, I don't believe it either. But I don't like the way in which America has treated Bradly.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Sabot wrote:
lily wrote:I think he is manipulating everything by saying that he will receive the death penalty if he goes. I don't believe it personally.

No, Lily, I don't believe it either. But I don't like the way in which America has treated Bradly.
The problem with Bradley Manning is he is a serving soldier who is charged, but not yet tried or convicted, with leaking classified information to an outside source. In wartime that would be treason and he would be shot. In 'peacetime' I am not sure what his standing is. The other problem is the US reaction to anything that could threaten their security, especially after 9/11 which is, to a certain degree, understandable. Assange is not covered by the same rules as Manning. LL
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Today's Terrorist is Tomorrow's Freedom Fighter. And the American Hierarchy are know for their underhand tactics. Bradly Manning has at least been Psychologically abused, and I don't like it.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:47 pm

IMO, he's been abused just as much by Assange and co, Sabot - from everything I've read, he had mental health 'issues' and was vulnerable to exploitation.

Now he's been left to take the fall for the whole thing?
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next