JATYK2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Candles site
Gardening Thread. - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm by Pedro Silva

» help Liam Scott
Gardening Thread. - Page 4 EmptySat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm by Pedro Silva

» WE STILL HOPE' Madeleine McCann parents vow to keep searching for their daughter in emotional Christmas message
Gardening Thread. - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 am by Pedro Silva

» Candles site
Gardening Thread. - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann's parents urge holidaymakers to take posters abroad with them this summer in bid to find their daughter
Gardening Thread. - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 pm by Pedro Silva

» Madeleine McCann investigation gets more funding
Gardening Thread. - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm by Pedro Silva

» new suspect in Madeleine McCann
Gardening Thread. - Page 4 EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm by Sabot

» NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY
Gardening Thread. - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm by Pedro Silva

» SUN, STAR: 'Cristovao goes on trial' - organised home invasions, etc
Gardening Thread. - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 am by Sabot

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Gardening Thread.

+6
Maggs
sadie
Lamplighter
lily
bb1
Sabot
10 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Gardening Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: Gardening Thread.

Post  Sabot Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:06 am

I accidentally grew a couple of Sunflowers last year, Bonny, from dropped bird seed, but they were very small.
I might have a proper go this year if we look like having a good Summer. Now there's a thought, I could Propagate a few while one Propagator is still switched on.

Thoughts on my Moon Planting experiment to follow shortly.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:13 am

I wonder why the ones from birdseed are always small, Sabot? No matter; I am sure they will grow very well where you are - they do well in sunny spots further north.

I just hope we don't get a repeat of last summer and the endless rain and cold.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:27 am

It was glorious here, Bonny, from April to August, but this is a trifle unusual, so I am hoping for a repeat.
I didn't know that bird seed grows smaller flowers, and thanks for that. I did cut the heads off and stick them on the bird table, and they were eaten, so not a complete waste of time. But not a lot of use compared to the amount of money I spend on buying seeds for the birds.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:30 am

Given a decent summer, Sabot, I get the huge, traditional sunflowers the size of dinnerplates, so a packet of seed is a good investment, birdwise.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:00 pm

I will give it a try, Bonny. I suppose I must be able to but proper seeds. I have seen the odd small field of them, growing here.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Sabot wrote:
I will give it a try, Bonny. I suppose I must be able to but proper seeds. I have seen the odd small field of them, growing here.
We have huge fields for miles here, just full of sunflowers every year. I love them as they always make me smile, those cheery little faces sunning themselves. LL

Gardening Thread. - Page 4 Assorted026

Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:32 pm

I love sunflowers, and the way they follow the sun round the sky over the course of a day.

I don't grow fields-full, Sabot, but they do grow to that size here, when we get a reasonable summer, so you should have no trouble - just stick the seeds in the ground and watch them grow.
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:47 pm

bb1 wrote:I love sunflowers, and the way they follow the sun round the sky over the course of a day.

I don't grow fields-full, Sabot, but they do grow to that size here, when we get a reasonable summer, so you should have no trouble - just stick the seeds in the ground and watch them grow.

This has given me an idea about what to do with the very small piece of land that I recovered after my son massacred my monstrous hedge. And I can grow them against the fence which faces almost due South. This will prop them up if they get heavy, and then I can leave them there for the birds.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Right. Done that experiment for Moon Planting, and the Beans I planted under the same conditions five days after Full Moon took six days to sprout, as compared to seeds planted ten days before Full Moon which took four days to sprout.
Not a huge difference on the face of it, but bearing in mind the slight increase in daylight time, and the fact that this would take longer in outdoor unheated conditions, then the time difference is worth considering. I think. I shall watch to see how the plants themselves behave over the Summer. Hopefully. If they don't die. Or get eaten by slugs or snails when I'm not watching.

Growing vegetables can be brutal and bloody. There is more going on in your garden than you realise.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:21 pm

This thread is really lovely to read. Thanks so much guys. Also, love the picture LL.

lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:59 pm

SLUG BUSTER TIP.

If you feed the birds with Sunflower Seeds the husks will collect in a pile under the bird feeder. Scoop them up and place around the root base of young plants. The slugs and snails have difficulty negotiating the rough husks, and they quite like to eat them as well, so this distracts them from eating the plant. Many a slug and snail has gone over my garden wall with a Sunflower Seed husk in it's mouth.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:53 pm

That is a handy tip, Sabot. Cheers.
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:20 pm

Have you ever seen a drowned slug, Lily? Their mouths are nearly half as long as their bodies. Quite fascinating, actually. I did try a Beer Trap for a while but it doesn't really work because they never trap them all. And anyway, I can think of better things to do with Beer.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11 am

Utter Disaster. All of my Runner Bean Plants are Dead. This is what happens when you think you know what you are doing.

I was up very early yesterday morning being unable to sleep for worrying about my wretched Leaseholders, so I took the dog into the garden because he often forgets where he is supposed to pee. Can dogs get Alzheimer's?
Anyway, the temperature was 2 degrees. Checked again at 6 am and the temperature had dropped to minus 1 degree. And that was the end of my plants. I had no idea that the temperature can drop at that time in the morning.

But, never mind, there is still time to start again. This is basically what gardening and vegetable growing are all about. Don't allow yourself to be beaten.

I still have all of the French Beans, and Tomato Plants inside, plus the couple of Runner Beans that I grew during the experiment.
I think I will now wait for the next coming up Full Moon to start again as I believe that the plants have a stronger root base.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  sadie Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:10 am

Really sorry to hear that Sabot. How disappointing. Do you use that fleece stuff to protect them from frosts? Not sure how successful it is

Thought this might bring back memories and cheer you up

sadie
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 am

Not possible to use fleece in this sort of situation, Sadie, and I just didn't realise how vulnerable to frost they were.
My Broad Beans are absolutely fine, and have been for the last three months since germinating, so they must be much more hardy.
Actually, I need a Green House, but I have nowhere to put one. I did put cut off Cola bottles over them, but they had grown too tall for that. Perhaps someone should market a taller version of this idea. I would buy some.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:00 am

Does no one but Sadie care about my poor dead Beans? And what about me? I am frigging devastated. I desperately needed your care and support in my hours of desolation. Some hope. Fair weather gardeners you all are. I would cry if your rotten Carrots died or got Carrot Worm, or whatever.
Think. Hex up a Carrot Worm Infestation. I never grow Carrots.

There will be a Funeral tomorrow afternoon at 3 pm when you can redeem yourselves with a Two Minute Silence for dead Beans everywhere. And then they will be consigned to the compost heap. But only in a dignified way.

No flowers please. All Donations to The French Clogg Fund. This will be used entirely for my Website devoted to English Runner Beans.
This Fund will be open and transparent and the accounts to be published, including receipts.
Please ignore any mention of alcohol on said receipts as I buy all of my Gardening Products when I go shopping for essential supplies.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:04 am

embarass So dreadfully sorry for not bean there in your hour of need, Sabot.

Am already having a 2 minute silence in case I forget tomorrow as I am a few hours ahead of you. hug
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamplighter Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:09 am

Ma pauvre petite, I am so sorry for your loss, but I have to admit I am lousy at gardening. I can grow tulips and weeds, lotta, lotta weeds. But I am sure the beans will have gone to a better place,, where the sun shines and there is no frost.

Thinking of you! LL hug hug cuddle cuddle
Lamplighter
Lamplighter
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:23 am

Okay. You two are forgiven. Just don't grow any Carrots this year. Not that I think this is likely, but tell your friends and family because I wouldn't want them to suffer the loss like wot I just have.

PS. Don't forget The Donations.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:26 am

Sabot, who should we make the donation checks to?
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  bb1 Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27 am

Well, I've got a spare packet of wildflower seeds to donate smile
bb1
bb1
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:31 am

lily wrote:Sabot, who should we make the donation checks to?

I only take Cheques, Lily. Coupled with a Bank Card, natch.

I will send you my address by PM because I don't want Donations from Forkers. It's a bit late in the season for Forking. I done that weeks ago. However, maybe next year.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabot Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:37 am

bb1 wrote:Well, I've got a spare packet of wildflower seeds to donate smile

Have you got any Sunflower Seeds? Only good quality accepted. And besides, you are all going to lurve my pontifications on how to grow Sunflowers. I am already working on it, and I haven't even got any yet.
Sabot
Sabot
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  lily Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:24 am

Sabot wrote:
bb1 wrote:Well, I've got a spare packet of wildflower seeds to donate smile

Have you got any Sunflower Seeds? Only good quality accepted. And besides, you are all going to lurve my pontifications on how to grow Sunflowers. I am already working on it, and I haven't even got any yet.

Sabot. You are an angel. You really are. Almost like having our own Percy Thrower on the forum......
lily
lily
Slayer of scums
Slayer of scums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next